Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2015, 09:13 AM   #61
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Did anyone figure out who Daniel Craig is playing yet?

Spoiler!
Old 12-18-2015, 09:13 AM   #62
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Was that supposed to be Corusant that got blown up with the first volley of shots?
I think it was Chandrila, home planet of Mon Mothma, and Capital world of the New Republic.
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 09:13 AM   #63
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Did anyone figure out who Daniel Craig is playing yet?
He was the Storm Trooper that Rey Jedi mind tricks Link
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 09:49 AM   #64
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh, also, the Rey/Ren light-sabre fight at the end was one of the best in the series. Just visceral, exciting action. It felt like two people having a sword fight, instead of the Chinese choreographed kung-fu fights from the prequels.

I don't think they are brother and sister -- surely Ren would've known and used it to his advantage. Or it would've been another thing that troubled him -- why would he leave her on Jakku to protect her, then try to kill her later on? He wouldn't have forgot that she was there.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 09:57 AM   #65
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Oh, also, the Rey/Ren light-sabre fight at the end was one of the best in the series. Just visceral, exciting action. It felt like two people having a sword fight, instead of the Chinese choreographed kung-fu fights from the prequels.

I don't think they are brother and sister -- surely Ren would've known and used it to his advantage. Or it would've been another thing that troubled him -- why would he leave her on Jakku to protect her, then try to kill her later on? He wouldn't have forgot that she was there.
I'm not sure he was trying to or wanted to kill her. He knew who she was from the very beginning, as soon as that officer mentioned that the droid had escaped with Finn and a girl. And in that vision it certainly sounded like his voice. Maybe it was just a hint in her mind and his child's voice is replaced by Kylo's in the dream to tell her that he is him.

I don't know if shes his sister or what, but I think it's pretty obvious he knows who she is and wasn't very interested in killing her.
Old 12-18-2015, 10:06 AM   #66
ScorchyScorch
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I had a lot of minor bones to pick with the movie immediately after. It was also pretty overwhelming to catch up on all the old and new characters in such a short period of time and absorb all that.

However, now that I've had time to sit on it and mull things over, it's definitely growing on me. Excited for round 2 now.
ScorchyScorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 10:12 AM   #67
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Am I the only one who would be disappointed if Snoke isn't Plagueis?

Unfortunately, from the drawings of Plagueis they don't look alike, but I'm hoping this "training" Snoke has in store for Kylo really brings out his evil.

But I think Snoke being Plagueis would be the only way these villains could ever feel like a real threat. It would make them feel more legitimate rather than the illusion they were portrayed as in this movie.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 10:21 AM   #68
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

As we over analyze the ever loving crap out of this movie, I think this video belongs here:

Old 12-18-2015, 10:32 AM   #69
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Slight tangent here but there was an ESPN feature on Sportsnet on Tuesday all about the lightsabre/swordfighting. I recorded it as I didn't want to see any spoilers, will have to watch it this weekend. It looked really good.

edit to add link; http://www.digitaltrends.com/movies/...ghtsaber-espn/
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2015, 10:34 AM   #70
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Really enjoyed the movie. The blend of new and old, and all of the characters in general were so well executed in my opinion (again keeping in mind that much of this movie's designed to set up future plot).

I was underwhelmed by Ren initially as well but think he'll be a dandy villain. Vader was a sniveling adolescent at one point as well, and it's in many ways his weaknesses that led to him becoming what he was. Who knows how Kylo Ren's character will evolve as he grows more adept and evil.

As for Snoke...I totally think that must be Darth Plagueis. The imagery seems spot on, and it would be far cooler than simply introducing some brand new supreme villain out of nowhere.
Old 12-18-2015, 11:30 AM   #71
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
I'm not sure he was trying to or wanted to kill her. He knew who she was from the very beginning, as soon as that officer mentioned that the droid had escaped with Finn and a girl. And in that vision it certainly sounded like his voice. Maybe it was just a hint in her mind and his child's voice is replaced by Kylo's in the dream to tell her that he is him.

I don't know if shes his sister or what, but I think it's pretty obvious he knows who she is and wasn't very interested in killing her.
Fair, it did seem like he knew who she was. But being his sister would also make her Han and Leia's daughter -- in which case you think one of them would've caught on or mentioned it. Especially Leia with her force sensitivity/mothers intuition.

I think she's the daughter of Luke and someone. There were far too many references and call backs to Luke in her scenes -- it wouldn't make sense to be anyone else!
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2015, 11:36 AM   #72
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post

Fair, it did seem like he knew who she was. But being his sister would also make her Han and Leia's daughter -- in which case you think one of them would've caught on or mentioned it. Especially Leia with her force sensitivity/mothers intuition.

I think she's the daughter of Luke and someone. There were far too many references and call backs to Luke in her scenes -- it wouldn't make sense to be anyone else!
They may not be telling her on purpose. Maybe at the instruction of Luke? Their own lineage was withheld from them so it's not crazy to think they might do the same.

It's probably more likely she is Luke's child, but all of those symbols apply to her being Vader's grand daughter just as much as Luke's daughter. Maybe Maz is her mom, and that's why she had the lightsabre

Who knows. This speculation is awesome! When's Episode 8? If it's not next year, I may die.
Old 12-18-2015, 11:36 AM   #73
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Not sure why it is bugging me but who is the old guy that gives Poe the map to skywalker in the beginning? He looked familiar but I don't think we was a significant character.

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 11:36 AM   #74
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

The lightsabre fights were a highlight for me.

Back to the more intense and controlled fights of the Original Trilogy.

Opposed to the choreographed dancing from the prequel trilogy, which looked cool but felt hallow and emotionless.

Episode 8 is May 2017 if I am not mistaken.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 11:38 AM   #75
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorchyScorch View Post

I don't fully like how quickly Rey discovered her powers and became adept in using them. Unless she is super, super powerful. She also had never touched a lightsaber before, how could she handle herself in a duel like that? Are we expected to chalk it all up to the Force? Perhaps...but it's a head scratcher. At least Luke had some guidance from Obi-Wan, even though his learning was pretty fast tracked too. I guess Kylo was somewhat of an amateur still as well.
I think it's obvious Rey is super powerful or at least unusually gifted. Sounds like a Skywalker, but I'm thinking maybe Kenobi would be more fitting.

As for Kylo, there's nothing to indicate he's much of a swordsman, while Rey is shown to be an experienced close combat fighter. Plus she's shown to be more powerful than Kylo in the Force in the interrogation scene. Kylo has training, sure, but experience beats training 9 times out of 10. Lot of the skills in close combat are not dependent of the weapon either. (Distance, timing, footwork, reading the opponent.)

I really liked the fact that Kylo is something new in the series.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 11:45 AM   #76
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
I think it's obvious Rey is super powerful or at least unusually gifted. Sounds like a Skywalker, but I'm thinking maybe Kenobi would be more fitting.

As for Kylo, there's nothing to indicate he's much of a swordsman, while Rey is shown to be an experienced close combat fighter. Plus she's shown to be more powerful than Kylo in the Force in the interrogation scene. Kylo has training, sure, but experience beats training 9 times out of 10. Lot of the skills in close combat are not dependent of the weapon either. (Distance, timing, footwork, reading the opponent.)

oooOOOOOOoooooooo. Interesting. But how?
Old 12-18-2015, 12:06 PM   #77
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post

Who knows. This speculation is awesome! When's Episode 8? If it's not next year, I may die.
MAY 2017 I think

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 12:17 PM   #78
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I think the trilogy movies will be spaced two years apart but they wanted to do some off shoot movies for the in between years. Including a Han Solo origins.
Old 12-18-2015, 12:29 PM   #79
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm getting the feeling the Galaxy would be better off without Skywalkers... maybe someone should just wipe them all out.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2015, 12:49 PM   #80
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post

She would have to be a grandchild of Kenobi, but that's a cool theory.

I got the sense that Kylo felt more of a connection with her than merely just her being force sensitive. Although maybe he was just thinking with his dick, and he wants her to be his queen.

Last edited by blankall; 12-18-2015 at 12:52 PM.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote