Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2015, 07:17 PM   #241
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Kylo Ren doesn't project the menace and might that Vader did. Just seems like a troubled and rebellious teen rather than anything else. There was almost too much action kinda stitched together with some quick writing.

Wasn't that the point? To portray him as a sort of dark side geeky poser with no immense power, but latching onto his grandfather's reputation and being angry that he is not Vader.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 07:22 PM   #242
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Wasn't that the point? To portray him as a sort of dark side geeky poser with no immense power, but latching onto his grandfather's reputation and being angry that he is not Vader.
His force power seemed immense.

I felt the first scene of the movie at Jakku village and the way it portrayed Kylo was the perfect way to start the film.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2015, 07:34 PM   #243
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
His force power seemed immense.

I felt the first scene of the movie at Jakku village and the way it portrayed Kylo was the perfect way to start the film.

I felt that he was struggling, clumsy, trying too hard. And that's not a bad thing when you are the only bad guy who can use the force. I thought that was on purpose though, to show these characters without any real force training just stumbling with using it.
Old 12-20-2015, 07:47 PM   #244
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Maybe the only impressive thing about Kylo Ren's power is that he is able to freeze things in place.

They hinted throughout the movie that he doesn't think his own power is that impressive.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 07:51 PM   #245
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I felt that he was struggling, clumsy, trying too hard. And that's not a bad thing when you are the only bad guy who can use the force. I thought that was on purpose though, to show these characters without any real force training just stumbling with using it.
Agreed.
Drak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 07:54 PM   #246
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Also, grizzled and bearded Mark Hamill as an older Luke looked pretty badass. As others have said, I can't wait to see his coming portrayals and to hear some actual lines of dialogue from him.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:00 PM   #247
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

For those asking about Max von Sydow's character, starwars.com has a little bio on him.

Don't read it if you think it might be spoilerish, but IMO I didn't think it was for anything in Episode 8 or beyond.

http://www.starwars.com/databank/lor-san-tekka
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:07 PM   #248
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Cow Disease View Post
Also, grizzled and bearded Mark Hamill as an older Luke looked pretty badass. As others have said, I can't wait to see his coming portrayals and to hear some actual lines of dialogue from him.
I thought his hand was interesting. Wonder what happened to his more natural looking prosthetic. Seems like he got the Anakin / Terminator version of the prosthetic hand.

I thought he would have had a larger role in the movie. Like, having a few lines at least.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:11 PM   #249
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
I'm going to elaborate a little. If you're a fan, or you can wake the 12 year old in you, you're probably going to love it. Other than that it was solid if silly entertainment. (Yeah, it stretched credibility pretty far even by Oilers standards.)

Visually it had a few good moments and the overall look was good, although for the most part it did miss a bit of... That Something. Maybe that was just me, but I felt it was trying too hard to be Awesome a lot of the time.
Craig McTavish, welcome to the site.
Clarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:14 PM   #250
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I hope that was not the intention makes him sound like a really lame ass villain.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:14 PM   #251
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So a chick is now the face of star wars?

That's just something that's going to take a while for me to come around on. I don't know why they would make this decision. I mean it's great that they are making the cast more diverse etc. but I never would have guessed that the main character/hero/anakin/luke would now be a girl.
robaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:17 PM   #252
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaur View Post

That's just something that's going to take a while for me to come around on. I don't know why they would make this decision. I mean it's great that they are making the cast more diverse etc. but I never would have guessed that the main character/hero/anakin/luke would now be a girl.
How did you deal with Starbuck being a woman in the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica?
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2015, 08:19 PM   #253
ae118
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaur View Post

Why not?
ae118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:22 PM   #254
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Given how politically correct things have become I would have been surprised if the didn't make the lead a woman. Now prepare yourself for the onslaught telling you what a bad person you are.

BTW I thought Daisy Ridley did a find job but I really disliked how they made her excel at everything straight away I like to see characters that struggle and then then succeed through perseverance.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:23 PM   #255
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
My problem was how easy it was for them to get inside in the first place, but once they went the battle station direction for the 3rd time, it didn't really matter.
Quote:
I was hoping for there to be a little more menace in these new Imperials. You got soldiers that can't hit anything, are still mentally weak, captains that'll blow up the whole operation because they aren't disciplined enough to resist a couple of guys pointing a rifle at them (meanwhile you have a rebel pilot who can resist all sorts of torture), and crack superweapon operators that'll run away from trouble. All of this on top of a dark force user who is more or less just a spastic teenage.

Much more preferred the empire portrayed in Episode V. These guys just seem... kinda weak.

Last edited by FlameOn; 12-20-2015 at 10:04 PM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:33 PM   #256
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
I hope that was not the intention makes him sound like a really lame ass villain.
He doesn't even get that much respect from his peers in the First Order. General Hox mocks his inability to get the information from Rey and letting the BB8 droid get away. Poe and Rey aren't really intimidated by him. He's just kind of that loser guy who tries to tag along all the time, trying to fit in. He has some skills, so that's why they tolerate him.

I think he (the character) is trying to be a villain, but isn't very good at it yet. He's only good at intimidating the weak, everybody else kind of sees through his act.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:47 PM   #257
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I got the same impression and thought he was the weakest part of the film or at least from the perspective of what matters. BTW if you want to see great female leads look at Ripley and Sarah Connor, that is how you write a female character. There was never any special treatment or attempt to make the characters amazing just because, powerful just because, good at everything just because. They excelled full stop. And in the case of Ripley her motherly instincts are part of what made her so persistent and protective, actually Sarah same thing.

And the most important thing is they had massive hurdles to overcome and were at the brink of failure many times, who wants to see a character instantly become a Jedi master ninja karate expert mechanical ship repairing genius in a heartbeat? It's boring.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:52 PM   #258
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Not really. It's good. It also leaves room for his character to grow in the next two.
Drak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drak For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2015, 08:52 PM   #259
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Yup. After view #2 I'm mostly certain that Rey is Luke's daughter. The vision she had, Kylo using the force on her and seeing an ocean and grass (where she happened to find Luke) and R2 magically waking up when she arrives on the resistance base pretty much solidified it for me.

At first I thought that R2 waking up was a deus ex machina but after seeing what Luke to R2 in Rey's vision it finally made sense to me. Funny the stuff that you can miss on the first viewing.

Last edited by Hockey_Ninja; 12-20-2015 at 08:56 PM.
Hockey_Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 09:03 PM   #260
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
I was hoping for there to be a little more menace in these new Imperials. You got soldiers that can't hit anything, are still mentally weak, captains that'll blow up the whole operation because they aren't disciplined enough to resist a couple of guys pointing rifle at them (meanwhile you have a rebel pilot who can resist all sorts of torture), and crack superweapon operators that'll run. All of this on top of a dark force user who is more or less just a spastic teenage.

Much more preferred the empire portrayed in Episode V. These guys just seem... kinda weak.
The Captain accessing the computer for the rebels was quite odd. Even at gun point, you'd think she would be disciplined enough to not allow a very expensive space station to be blown up like that. She's responsible for the deaths of everyone on that station plus the destruction of the station itself. Very odd. Poor writing, as there really was no reason to include that.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote