Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2013, 09:11 PM   #401
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Bitcoins

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
An immediate result of the Chinese government's decision was the requirement to submit ID numbers (passport, national ID card etc.) in order to trade. Not as appealing for secretly moving money around anymore.
Exactly. Th government has effectively banned and neutered the currency in the only country it was really used in.

I've sold what little mining gear i had accumulated this weekend. I have a feeling this is the beginning of the end.
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:38 PM   #402
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
An immediate result of the Chinese government's decision was the requirement to submit ID numbers (passport, national ID card etc.) in order to trade. Not as appealing for secretly moving money around anymore.
How can they control this in private exchanges?

It's only BTC China that has voluntarily started asking for ID when logging in and users have reported that it accepts any random combination entered.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 12-07-2013 at 09:41 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:39 PM   #403
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

The last bubble burst as a comparison

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 12-08-2013 at 05:16 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2013, 05:38 AM   #404
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
How can they control this in private exchanges?

It's only BTC China that has voluntarily started asking for ID when logging in and users have reported that it accepts any random combination entered.
They don't need to control private exchanges to sway the market.
I don't pretend to know the future, but big business in China tends to follow the government. Baidu and China Telecom have both stopped offering any sales of goods or services using bitcoins.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 05:15 PM   #405
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

BTC staging a good comeback from it's $600 low. It's back above $800. It might be the "return to normal" in the image I posted regarding the bubble pattern peaks however and this might be the precursor to the big dip.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:46 AM   #406
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm messing around with mining altcoins and have just been using a second card in my home PC. I would like to just run a separate rig so I'm looking for some parts and I thought I would check here first.

I'm looking for a mobo that can support 2-3 cards with CPU and Ram and maybe a power supply. Let me know if you have anything lying around you want to get rid of or sell before I head to MemX after work to pickup something.

Thanks
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:18 PM   #407
Miniac
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Christopher Hindle ‏@HindlesKitchen 9m
Apple is removing Bitcoin apps from the App Store because it wanted to create a digital iTunes currency of its own...
Miniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:46 AM   #408
J Diddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Bitcoin business opens in Calgary
http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/ca...195/story.html
J Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J Diddy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2013, 09:51 PM   #409
Miniac
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Check coinmap.org for a map of businesses accepting bitcoin. There may be businesses distributing it as well.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:03 PM   #410
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alberta woman willing to trade $1-million property for Bitcoins

Quote:
A $1-million acreage on the outskirts of Red Deer, Alta., has become the largest property in Canada yet to be offered up for Bitcoins, the digital currency unregulated by any country or central bank.

Located at 37546 Gasoline Alley on the outskirts of Red Deer, the 1.3 hectare property includes a four-bedroom, two-bathroom home complete with greenhouse, a secret room accessible via a walk-through closet and a private forest.

“Owner will take Bitcoin on trade!” reads the property’s Tuesday listing.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:22 AM   #411
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Diddy View Post
They've been open for almost 2 months. Dave wanted over $25,000 for their Jupiter. Interesting crowd over there. Always a bunch of interesting folk off the street asking questions or trying to buy random crytocurrencies to day trade with.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:15 PM   #412
Miniac
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Has anyone been verified by VirtEx lately? I have been waiting since Nov 22nd.. still no replies to any of my emails or calls. I'm extremely frustrated.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:41 AM   #413
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miniac View Post
Has anyone been verified by VirtEx lately? I have been waiting since Nov 22nd.. still no replies to any of my emails or calls. I'm extremely frustrated.

From https://www.cavirtex.com/announcements

Quote:
Dec. 12, 2013, 4:54 p.m. - Verification and Customer Service Update - Dec 12 2013

Total number of verifications outstanding: 1382
Date range we are working on:Nov 27 Dec 2 2013
Number of staff working: 12 fulltime, 9 part-time
Verifications completed today: 40
Verifications missing info and put into waiting: 54
Outbound Phone Verification calls made: 78
Customer service tickets outstanding: 1104
Looks like you might fall into this category, since they seem to be working on Noz 27-Dec2
Old 12-13-2013, 10:35 AM   #414
Miniac
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Maybe but I didn't any notification that I have missing info or put into waiting.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:23 PM   #415
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.eba.europa.eu/-/eba-warns...ual-currencies

The European Banking Authority (EBA) issued today a warning on a series of risks deriving from buying, holding or trading virtual currencies such as Bitcoins. The EBA said that consumers are not protected through regulation when using virtual currencies as a means of payment and may be at risk of losing their money. It also added that there is no guarantee that currency values remain stable The warning was issued while the Authority assesses further all relevant aspects associated with virtual currencies, in order to identify whether virtual currencies can and should be regulated and supervised.

According to the EBA, while virtual currencies continue to hit the headlines and are enjoying increasing popularity, consumers need to remain aware of the risks associated with them. In particular, consumers should be aware that exchange platforms tend to be unregulated and are not banks that hold their virtual currency as a deposit. Currently, no specific regulatory protections exist in the EU that would protect consumers from financial losses if a platform that exchanges or holds virtual currencies fails or goes out of business.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:19 PM   #416
MrCallahan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miniac View Post
I was lucky enough to get verified a couple weeks ago, but their huge delay actually made me to go vaultofsatoshi.com instead, which also allows you to exchange LTC and PPC. From what I've heard, these guys have some pretty big ideas they'd like to implement soon.
MrCallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:45 PM   #417
Miniac
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCallahan View Post
I was lucky enough to get verified a couple weeks ago, but their huge delay actually made me to go vaultofsatoshi.com instead, which also allows you to exchange LTC and PPC. From what I've heard, these guys have some pretty big ideas they'd like to implement soon.
Thanks, I'll check that out. I got verified finally but know I have issues transferring money because I'm with TD...
Old 12-18-2013, 08:27 AM   #418
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Bitcoin plummets as China's largest exchange blocks new deposits

Best part about the article, is this guy has a look on his face like "Haha!"

woob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2013, 09:46 AM   #419
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Suicide hotline becomes the highest ranked thread on Reddit /r/bitcoin . This is sad
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comm...e_1800273talk/
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:00 AM   #420
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelekin View Post
Perhaps you should do more research (or even some more reading within this thread). I think you've been missed the entire conceptual argument. Here's one of the best reads on it:

http://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/2013/...ue-overvalued/
There is nothing convincing about that article. It's just a bunch of ideology without any real arguments to back it up. And, if you don't understand my argument, it is because you are stupid, is not a valid argument. It is hard to think that there is a long term future for a currency that is so volatile. And until some kind of critical mass can live completely in bitcoin (ie, pay their bills, earn their income, invest, buy cars and houses...), then the value as compared to real currencies does matter. There may be a future at some point for some kind of crypto currency, but it will have to have some controls for volatility for it to be sustainable.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote