Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2023, 08:38 AM   #1541
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great breakdown of how the Chiefs used the motion to set up the Eagles on those two wide open touchdowns

https://twitter.com/danorlovsky7/sta...NBkRzQvRQp9cJA
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2023, 09:15 AM   #1542
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 2023 NFL Playoffs Thread

The only reason I was cheering the the Eagles is because I let my 5 year old decide who will cheer for. She picked the green team.

I won’t dwell on the call because ultimately I don’t care. It was borderline at best, and like many of said, that penalty happens every play. To call it then ruined a potential classic ending.

Besides that it was a fantastic game. Mahomes is obviously special and it really was a game of two halves. Maybe RiRi fired up the Chiefs with that performance?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 09:50 AM   #1543
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah that call was lame, pretty ticky tack in the moment. But looking at the clip later, where the replay missed the initial tug and only showed the 2nd, softer one certainly didn't help. I get why they called it, just too bad it took the wind out of the sails with the end of a great game.

I'm more disgusted with the slippery turf conditions. Didn't they say before the game that field had been grown for 2 years, specifically just for this game? How do you spend that much time on something like that and still blow it so badly?
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2023, 09:58 AM   #1544
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The bottom line is that the refs let the first tug go, they couldn't let the second one go.

I mean we can say that cost the Eagles the game, but lets be honest, The Chiefs adjustments in the second half were exceptional. Once they got the momentum, you just felt like the Clock not going faster was the enemy of the Eagles.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 09:58 AM   #1545
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
I'm more disgusted with the slippery turf conditions. Didn't they say before the game that field had been grown for 2 years, specifically just for this game? How do you spend that much time on something like that and still blow it so badly?
Weird part is it didn't look like the grass was coming apart or failing from that perspective. Structually the grass looked sound.

Looked more like the grass was wet / slick, especially in the painted areas.

So I wonder more if the grass was just adjusting to the humidity and AC in the indoor stadium and was slick due to that. Almost like morning dew.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 10:09 AM   #1546
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

A lot of people saying it was the Chiefs sideline yelling that prompted the flag and explains why it was thrown so late.

Also hard to believe that was the only hold in the entire game.

Oh well, that’s sports.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 10:40 AM   #1547
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

It was grown for two years on a sod farm, then cut and installed two weeks ago. So it's two-year old grass, but it's effectively two-week old turf that had to deal with all the rehearsals and other traffic on top of it. It's not the first time a field has been resodded in a short timeframe, but there usually isn't the same kind of traffic and conditions in the leadup. Why they did it that way I can't understand.

It was also heavily overseeded with ryegrass for the colour, which has been a common NFL program for grass fields for the superbowl (darker colour, better for contrast with the paint). But it measn that you have one type of grass anchoring into another type of grass, while that grass is trying to sew in with new roots after it was cut for sod. The stuff guys were playing on at TPC Scottsdale was also ryegrass overseeded into bermudagrass, but the grow-in conditions were far different.

The grass type used is the same grass that the Eagles field uses (minus the same kind of overseed program). So all the talk about the new grass, it has had success both in the NFL and NCAA. Just bad practices, albeit common for the NFL, in the leadup by the looks of it.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2023, 10:40 AM   #1548
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:

Was it different grass than 6 weeks ago? Michigan and TCU played there and there were slipping and sliding too. Game ended up 51-45 as the defenses could do nothing.

GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 11:01 AM   #1549
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Great breakdown of how the Chiefs used the motion to set up the Eagles on those two wide open touchdowns

https://twitter.com/danorlovsky7/sta...NBkRzQvRQp9cJA
The Chiefs did a good job on those plays of breaking their own tendencies. All season long they would do the Jet sweep or at least fake it. Instead they deceived the defence to get guys so open they could walk in. Eagles didn't adjust and got burned by it the second time.

I'll also say that I think the NFL needs full time officiating crews. They need to invest in the officiating to make it more consistent and work on training for the ones they have. I've never officiated Football so I don't have a great feel for calling that game. I do find the whining about NHL officiating on the FOI forum a bit comical at times though.

Last edited by Sylvanfan; 02-13-2023 at 11:13 AM.
Sylvanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 11:21 AM   #1550
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
A lot of people saying it was the Chiefs sideline yelling that prompted the flag and explains why it was thrown so late.

Also hard to believe that was the only hold in the entire game.

Oh well, that’s sports.
This seems likely. You can see the flag flying through a air a second or two after the ball hit the turf, 5 or 6 seconds after the hold.
Yes I dislike the Chiefs, but I'm really just disappointed we missed the ending that game deserved, as a result of that call.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2023, 11:28 AM   #1551
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

This one will sting for a while. So close, yet so far away.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 12:08 PM   #1552
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
The Chiefs did a good job on those plays of breaking their own tendencies. All season long they would do the Jet sweep or at least fake it. Instead they deceived the defence to get guys so open they could walk in. Eagles didn't adjust and got burned by it the second time.

I'll also say that I think the NFL needs full time officiating crews. They need to invest in the officiating to make it more consistent and work on training for the ones they have. I've never officiated Football so I don't have a great feel for calling that game. I do find the whining about NHL officiating on the FOI forum a bit comical at times though.
I don't think it matters. If you are looking for accuracy, slo mo replay makes any officiating impossible.heck, sports like tennis have abandoned officials, baseball might be next.

The NHLs referring problem is that they are managing the game which does not happen here. No way the NHL would call a game altering penalty even if obvious. We've all watched Stanley Cup playoffs.

GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 12:11 PM   #1553
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
This one will sting for a while. So close, yet so far away.
If Gannon gets the Cardinals HC job it will be the happiest I’ve been to see a coordinator go in a long time. Abject failure in the second half
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 12:17 PM   #1554
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
If Gannon gets the Cardinals HC job it will be the happiest I’ve been to see a coordinator go in a long time. Abject failure in the second half
They weren’t challenged all year.

I think the eagles defence having played well against 0 competent QBs was over rated. Whether that’s the co-ordinater or the talent is a bit unknown. They gave up 30 plus to Dak and Rogers and didn’t beat anyone else.

There most successful game was knocking out Purdy to avoid having to face the 49ers.

So I don’t think this was just a second half failure.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 02:26 PM   #1555
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

I assume the Eagles go for defense for their 2 first rounders this year. Roseman has done a pretty good job there.
dirk diggler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 03:14 PM   #1556
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
They weren’t challenged all year.

I think the eagles defence having played well against 0 competent QBs was over rated. Whether that’s the co-ordinater or the talent is a bit unknown. They gave up 30 plus to Dak and Rogers and didn’t beat anyone else.

There most successful game was knocking out Purdy to avoid having to face the 49ers.

So I don’t think this was just a second half failure.
That's why I was cheering for Eagles to lose yesterday. I was first introduced to NFL 40 some odd years ago and the first game I watched was 49ers with Joe Montana and I fell in love with the team. Then the Steve Young era loved the style he played. Though they broke my heart many times after that, and don't follow NFL anymore but still cheer for them whenever they make the playoff.