Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2015, 08:01 AM   #1361
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I changed mine on Friday. So you can thank me for the next month of snow free fall!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:02 AM   #1362
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_dennis View Post
I'm looking at getting some winter tires for our 2015 Audi Q5. I've always had spare winter rims for my winter tires so I could change them out in the garage on all my previous cars, but they were all small cars.

With my current jack, I don't think it will jack up to a proper height for my SUV.
I see that Canadian Tire has a sale this week on jacks. Does anyone know what height I should be getting in order to swap out the tires?

Or should I not even bother with winter rims?
You can always use a block of wood to get a bit more elevation out of a jack. This of course depends on your current jack and whether or not its a floor jack or one of the widow makers the car companies throw in with the spare.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 06:45 PM   #1363
Fleury’sOTGoalCelebration
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just pulled the trigger on these for my wife's escape
Michelin Latitude X-ice Xi2
From Canadian tire
Not sure if it's been mentioned already or not but if you have a Canadian tire MasterCard you can purchase anything over $200 and do a no interest no fees for 24 months, promotion runs till Oct 31.
Plus I get a $70 rebate from Michelin. 🏻
Old 10-27-2015, 08:32 AM   #1364
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_dennis View Post
I'm looking at getting some winter tires for our 2015 Audi Q5. I've always had spare winter rims for my winter tires so I could change them out in the garage on all my previous cars, but they were all small cars.

With my current jack, I don't think it will jack up to a proper height for my SUV.
I see that Canadian Tire has a sale this week on jacks. Does anyone know what height I should be getting in order to swap out the tires?

Or should I not even bother with winter rims?
Fellow Q5 owner. I got a set of 18" Winter tires and put them on the stock OEM rims, and then bought 20" summer tires and some nicer rims to go with. Sold the stock 18" all season rubbers and put it towards the other items.

Regardless of what you do, get a separate set of rims, nothing worse than having to turn a quick 30-45 minute job changing tires into a half day even by having to take it to a shop and wait or get picked up.

As for jacks, if yours doesn't work, you can honestly just use the one in the trunk. A bit slower, but a lot easier.

I have the below jack from CTire. Nice having low-profile and a high lift (24"), but any standard jack that can get to 18-19" should suffice. And as mentioned, just toss some wood under it if need be.

LINKS
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2015, 12:50 PM   #1365
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

I got a pair of Nokian R2's from Kal Tire. We bought 3 sets (family members all needed tires), so we got a pretty good deal, same pricing as Costco would have been for another set of tires.

It's also great that we don't have to go to Costco for service and warranty issues, as that can be a PITA.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:57 PM   #1366
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Don't ignore Kijiji. Man there are some awesome deals there.

I just picked up the GF a set of Tires/Rims for her Sentra SER that came off a Subaru STI. Wheels have a tiny bit of rash, but I'm gonna paint them grey anyway.

90% Tread Federal Himalaya's on 17" Touren wheels for $600. The cheapest I could have done this retail is about $1400. Not my first tire choice, as I love Hakkipilleta's and Gislaved's, but for the tiny amount of driving she does in the winter, how can you go wrong? This set will probably last her 10 years.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2015, 11:42 AM   #1367
TomLeeMC
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Planning on changing my summer tires to winter tires(different set of rims) this weekend. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions on cleaning the bolts. I typically use a wire brush to clean of the rust/dirt but is there some sort of lubricant or cleaner I should also consider?
TomLeeMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 12:12 PM   #1368
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can use an anti-seize compound for lubrication. I've never bothered to "clean" them much though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2015, 12:14 PM   #1369
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

10 years pretty much the max to use a tire? Might have to get a new set in the next while due to that rather than any kind of tire wear.
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 02:36 PM   #1370
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

The GF's car needs new tires (Mazda 3) and we went to Kal Tire and the guy really pushed the All Weather Nokian WRG3. What are peoples experience with the all weather tire?

I was interested in the X-Ice 3 as I have the X-Ice 2 on my vehicle and I have been very happy with them, but the salesmen was pretty down on them saying they weren't getting good reviews online. Not sure where he read that because they seem to be a top rated tire wherever I look. He also recommended the Hakkapeliitta R2. Any advice?
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 02:39 PM   #1371
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLeeMC View Post
Planning on changing my summer tires to winter tires(different set of rims) this weekend. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions on cleaning the bolts. I typically use a wire brush to clean of the rust/dirt but is there some sort of lubricant or cleaner I should also consider?
I usually throw a dab of oil or tranny fluid on them to keep the lugs fresh.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2015, 03:12 PM   #1372
NSFL
Random Title Change!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
+1 for Urban Expressions. I found out about them on this forum years ago, and will recommend them to anyone.
So I just got my tires done at Urban Expressions. Awesome service. Great guys. Super helpful. I got in early and they managed to get me in right away and I was out of there in less than an hour. Super knowledgeable guys too.

NSFL=Not So Funny Lady. But I will also accept Not Safe For Life and Not Sober For Long.

You know you wanna read about nail polish:

http://polish-holic.blogspot.com/
NSFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 03:18 PM   #1373
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
The GF's car needs new tires (Mazda 3) and we went to Kal Tire and the guy really pushed the All Weather Nokian WRG3. What are peoples experience with the all weather tire?

I was interested in the X-Ice 3 as I have the X-Ice 2 on my vehicle and I have been very happy with them, but the salesmen was pretty down on them saying they weren't getting good reviews online. Not sure where he read that because they seem to be a top rated tire wherever I look. He also recommended the Hakkapeliitta R2. Any advice?
I am getting X-Ice 3 put on next Tuesday at Costco. Cost me a shade over $1000 (incl. install) for the set. I did a bunch of research and I saw site glowing reviews (tire rack, Consumer Reports) everywhere, with the only downside was some complained of a bit more road noise than Blizzaks. Yes I saw some poor comments from users but I see that for every tire, and most were in fact positive.

Does Kal sell X-Ice? If not, that maybe why. If so, lots of tire guys have personal preference, or they maybe told to push stock. All I would say is do independent research and make your selection outside any salesman. I got overly analytical myself and realized the X-Ice were a good deal on a top tire and will be better than all seasons either way. I am totally comfortable with the decision.

EDIT: Just checked consumer reports and the Nokian WRG3 got a 64/100 rating and Xi-3 got a 70/100. The ratings for snow and ice were noticeably worse than the Xi-3, only hydroplaning was better. So take that for what it is worth from an unbiased source. Based on what I see Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 is the model you should look at, it tied the Xi-3.

Last edited by OldDutch; 11-02-2015 at 03:34 PM.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 03:29 PM   #1374
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFL View Post
So I just got my tires done at Urban Expressions. Awesome service. Great guys. Super helpful. I got in early and they managed to get me in right away and I was out of there in less than an hour. Super knowledgeable guys too.
I've seen a lot of people here and on other discussion boards talk highly of UrbanX. I'm pretty disappointed because I sent them an online quote request for two different sets of winter tires and they never responded. I received an auto response confirmation but never received a quote. It has been over a week since my request.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 03:35 PM   #1375
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

I had Hankook Optimo 4S mounted on mY TSX. They were fine for my purposes. However, I had to replace them this year a couple of years sooner than I had hoped. The sidewalls were cracking. I guess that is an issue with some of the Korean brands? Their rubber isn't optimized for our drier climate? I don't know if that is true or not.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:59 PM   #1376
Doodlebug
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:

You might also consider the Nordman WR tires. It is my understanding that these are the Nokian WRG2 tires (rebranded under Nordman now). The WRG2's have loads of great reviews online, and are most likely cheaper than the WRG3. Nordman also sold by Kal-tire.
Doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 04:20 PM   #1377
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kal tire always pushes the Nokians. I'm guessing they probably get the best mark up for them, or have some kind of coop advertising with them.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 04:40 PM   #1378
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Serious question: anybody want to come to my house to swap my all-season tires with winter tires (already mounted on separate rims) on a Dodge Caravan? Cash job -- evenings preferred. Only catch is that I don't have a garage, so you'd have to do it in my driveway (I'd try doing it myself but I don't have the equipment).
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 04:46 PM   #1379
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you had asked 2 weeks ago....when it was WARM! What neighbourhood?
Old 11-02-2015, 05:44 PM   #1380
NSFL
Random Title Change!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I've seen a lot of people here and on other discussion boards talk highly of UrbanX. I'm pretty disappointed because I sent them an online quote request for two different sets of winter tires and they never responded. I received an auto response confirmation but never received a quote. It has been over a week since my request.
I went online to ask for a quote and they never got back to me. So a month later I just called. I talked to him and he said that they're so overwhelmed with online quotes that they can't keep up. Just call them. You can ask him to pull up your info when you call by telling him when you emailed.

NSFL=Not So Funny Lady. But I will also accept Not Safe For Life and Not Sober For Long.

You know you wanna read about nail polish:

http://polish-holic.blogspot.com/
NSFL is offline   Reply With Quote