Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2021, 04:17 PM   #2381
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Where is the best place to by Hakka R3's? Wanna give them a rip this year. Kal Tire has them for just a bit under $1000 installed. Is that basically the going rate?
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 04:23 PM   #2382
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Where is the best place to by Hakka R3's? Wanna give them a rip this year. Kal Tire has them for just a bit under $1000 installed. Is that basically the going rate?
You are stuck buying them from Kal Tire, I think they still have the only distributorship.
Old 12-20-2021, 04:30 PM   #2383
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah. That would explain the lack of results elsewhere.

Ok, thanks.

Upside that makes shopping easier I guess?
Old 12-20-2021, 08:49 PM   #2384
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
The shop I use charges $70 per season IIRC. They also do the seasonal tire swap for free with an oil change- so I just consider the $70 fee a bit of a wash as I’m not paying for the swap. It’s nice to not have to worry about keeping tires around for both vehicles.
What shop is that good value, seems too cheap.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 09:28 AM   #2385
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Actually I stand corrected; looks like the last couple of bills show it to be $100 per season; so $200 per year. It's still a good enough value for me not having to come up with storage for 2 sets of tires.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2021, 09:53 AM   #2386
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
You're going to be so very happy with this decision.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2021, 10:06 AM   #2387
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is it worth getting a set of rusted black steel rims for winter tires refinished to get of the rust? Or should I just get a new set
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 09:41 AM   #2388
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Depends on how corroded they are I guess? For the price of new ones being fairly cheap, I think I'd buy new myself.
Old 12-23-2021, 10:51 AM   #2389
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Pretty rusted, they've been on for a few full winter seasons of snow, salt, etc.

Actually looking at a new set now and its like $500 plus installation which isn't too bad as refinishing them is about $400 per set I think
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 06:32 PM   #2390
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just make sure you're leaning from your mistake and buying alloys. Price is comperable.

Only dumbozos buy steelies these days
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2021, 02:34 PM   #2391
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

I got Nokian Hakka R3s put on my car a couple weeks ago and put them through quite the test going to BC and back for the holidays. The roads were sketchy at times and they were excellent. I can honestly say they are the best tires I've ever had for this soon-to-be 9 year old car.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 02:51 PM   #2392
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Just make sure you're leaning from your mistake and buying alloys. Price is comperable.

Only dumbozos buy steelies these days
Where do you buy your wheels from? I've done some looking around and it seems alloys are usually at least twice the cost of steel.
Old 12-29-2021, 08:37 PM   #2393
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Where do you buy your wheels from? I've done some looking around and it seems alloys are usually at least twice the cost of steel.
Shop around, lots of decent rims to be had depending on your budget

Costco.ca
Blackcircles.ca
1010tires.com
PMCtire.com
etc.

not to mention all the local shops.

Sure alloys are "more expensive" but its not a crazy difference and worth the money regardless of your income level. A standard steelie is ~100$ right now, and alloys generally start at $130-140 range (I picked a random common size to lookup). On a % basis, sure, a big premium, but that $30 more is nothing considering what you're getting for your money. Steelies look like garbage, age terribly, and will need to be replaced much sooner than alloys.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2021, 09:34 PM   #2394
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Just got a flat down by Southcenter mall, realized the tire sounded funny on the way from IKEA.

It's way too cold and dark to try to put on a spare. It still drives okay but I think the drivers side front may be driving on rim.

I tried to inflate it with my Ryobi compressor that I always have but it wouldn't go over 9 PSI. I don't know if is the temperature, or the tire is too far gone.

Maybe I'll get a tow over to a tire shop in the daytime. Don't want to be buying new tires at this time so we'll see what can be done. They are only 2 year old Toyo All Weather with very little wear since there was no commute during covid.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 09:38 PM   #2395
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Just got a flat down by Southcenter mall, realized the tire sounded funny on the way from IKEA.

It's way too cold and dark to try to put on a spare. It still drives okay but I think the drivers side front may be driving on rim.

I tried to inflate it with my Ryobi compressor that I always have but it wouldn't go over 9 PSI. I don't know if is the temperature, or the tire is too far gone.

Maybe I'll get a tow over to a tire shop in the daytime. Don't want to be buying new tires at this time so we'll see what can be done. They are only 2 year old Toyo All Weather with very little wear since there was no commute during covid.
If you drove on a flat tire for any distance, it's garbage.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2021, 09:49 PM   #2396
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I was looking at a Tire and Rim package from 1010 tires. They seem to have reasonable rims for a decent price. Anyone ever tried the Falken Eurowinter HS01 tires? From what I could tell trying to do some research they grade out as an okay winter tire. Which for me would likely be okay since the car they'd go on has had 12,000 km put on it since last August. So in winters it's mostly just used as a commuter. The other tire that looked to rate well for winter handling, but not for rolling resistance or road noise was the Hankook i-cept Evo 3. I'm not too worried about style and road noise driving a boring ass Honda Accord. But I would like a tire that can start and stop good on ice and snow that my sub 6 figure Draftsman wage can afford.
Old 12-29-2021, 11:49 PM   #2397
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Next season I'll be needing a new set of winters. Has anyone driven to the States to purchase and install Hakka's before, avoiding the Kal-Tire monopoly?
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 10:36 AM   #2398
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Next season I'll be needing a new set of winters. Has anyone driven to the States to purchase and install Hakka's before, avoiding the Kal-Tire monopoly?
Admittedly, I haven't checked, but are the prices that inflated? I've always been happy with the KT service and their repair warranty has saved me a bundle over the years.

I have Hakka's from KalTire... That seems like a lot of effort to avoid dealing with them.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 12:01 PM   #2399
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
The problem with being in Alberta, is that the U.S. Options we have here are pretty bleak. Unless you were planning a trip to Spokane, or you want to go to Kalispell or Great Falls to get them, in either case you're looking at 5 plus hour drive each way, or a 8 hour drive to Spokane or slightly less to Coeur D'Alene.

I used to live in Osoyoos BC, and would get tires from Discount Tire in Wenatchee quite a bit. But in that case it was basically adding 300km total to my drive buying cheap US gas vs going to Penticton, and after paying duties and factoring the extra fuel, I was saving about $400 on a tire and rim package. From what I can see the Nokian's in the US are not really any less. In looking at the Hakka R3 225/45/R18's that I priced at Kal the other day, they were about 260 per tire. The ones in the US that I've found thus far are all selling at $230. So you'll pay GST and likely some duty to bring them accross the border. If you were buying a U.S. Manufactured tire, you might see some value. But I don't know if it's there on the Nokians.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2021, 05:37 PM   #2400
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Shop around, lots of decent rims to be had depending on your budget

Costco.ca
Blackcircles.ca
1010tires.com
PMCtire.com
etc.

not to mention all the local shops.

Sure alloys are "more expensive" but its not a crazy difference and worth the money regardless of your income level. A standard steelie is ~100$ right now, and alloys generally start at $130-140 range (I picked a random common size to lookup). On a % basis, sure, a big premium, but that $30 more is nothing considering what you're getting for your money. Steelies look like garbage, age terribly, and will need to be replaced much sooner than alloys.
I got 17" steelies for $70 ea this fall, and $70 back in CT money, so they can certainly be had cheaply if you keep your eyes open.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote