Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-22-2019, 02:38 AM   #21
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player
 
d_phaneuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
I think you guys underestimate the stumbling blocks of his injury history and the outrageous wages. He's a great player, but those things complicate matters. I'd honestly be surprised if a European top club takes him, I could easily see him go to China to be honest.
Dont think he would go there, hed just stay in madrid and play golf
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:04 AM   #22
devo22
Franchise Player
 
devo22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Austria, NOT Australia
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
No doubt about the wages, but are injuries an issue still? He's averaging about 40 games played a season.
maybe I overvalue the injury aspect. Possible. And it surely could be worse, because he's never suffered serious long-term injuries. But it's been a lot of minor and niggling injuries for sure. Just looking at Transfermarkt, it's an extensive list over the past few years. Ankle, calf, adductor, hip, hamstring ... it takes a toll on an attacker that relies on power and pace.

I think at the end of the day, it depends on what Bale wants. Is going to China and being the face of football over there more tempting than golfing in Madrid? I don't even know which one of those options would be more or less ambitious than the other one. He's too young to go to China to be honest, but sitting around in Madrid and letting his contract run down can't be enticing either. Maybe some European top club swoops in, but I doubt it. He'd need to give up a lot of money.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 10:00 AM   #23
Locke
ness Monster
 
Locke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Income Tax Central
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
maybe I overvalue the injury aspect. Possible. And it surely could be worse, because he's never suffered serious long-term injuries. But it's been a lot of minor and niggling injuries for sure. Just looking at Transfermarkt, it's an extensive list over the past few years. Ankle, calf, adductor, hip, hamstring ... it takes a toll on an attacker that relies on power and pace.

I think at the end of the day, it depends on what Bale wants. Is going to China and being the face of football over there more tempting than golfing in Madrid? I don't even know which one of those options would be more or less ambitious than the other one. He's too young to go to China to be honest, but sitting around in Madrid and letting his contract run down can't be enticing either. Maybe some European top club swoops in, but I doubt it. He'd need to give up a lot of money.
Yeah, this. It really reminds me a lot of the career trajectory of Michael Owen.

Once those muscle injuries start adding up the pace dissolves.
__________________
- "Somebody may beat me, but they're going to have to bleed to do it."
- Steve Prefontaine
This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 05:29 AM   #24
devo22
Franchise Player
 
devo22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Austria, NOT Australia
Exp:
Default

apparently Asensio tore his ACL. Maybe Bale will stay after all.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:56 AM   #25
nik-
Franchise Player
 
nik-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
apparently Asensio tore his ACL. Maybe Bale will stay after all.
torn ACL and damaged meniscus. So that'll be his season
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
Johnny eats garbage and isn’t 100% committed.
nik- is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 03:32 PM   #26
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player
 
d_phaneuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Yeah, this. It really reminds me a lot of the career trajectory of Michael Owen.

Once those muscle injuries start adding up the pace dissolves.
To be fair though. The medical science has come a long way since Owen's issues

Didnt he also allege that liverpool had him back playing too soon?
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 05:41 PM   #27
Slava
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Exp:
Default

Maybe they'll rethink the Ceballos loan? Apparently ZZ says Bale is gone, regardless.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 11:47 PM   #28
Bagor
Franchise Player
 
Bagor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Spartanville
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Didnt he also allege that liverpool had him back playing too soon?
Mismanaged him by playing him in too many games as a youngster.

That and he was injured and wasn't treated for a period of time as they had no physio.
__________________


Bagor is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2019, 07:38 AM   #29
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player
 
SuperMatt18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Exp:
Default

Madrid and Man U should swap Sanchez and Bale

About the same age and at least doing that would give each guy a bit of a new start on a new squad.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 07:39 AM   #30
Slava
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Exp:
Default

I don't think Bale would go and play Europa League though?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 07:42 AM   #31
devo22
Franchise Player
 
devo22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Austria, NOT Australia
Exp:
Default

also can't see Real being interested in Sanchez.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2019, 08:13 AM   #32
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player
 
Senator Clay Davis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Maryland State House, Annapolis
Exp:
Default

Bale for Sanchez is like the rich man's version of Lucic for Neal.
__________________
"Think I'm gonna be the scapegoat for the whole damn machine? Sheeee......."
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 11:25 AM   #33
Locke
ness Monster
 
Locke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Income Tax Central
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
To be fair though. The medical science has come a long way since Owen's issues

Didnt he also allege that liverpool had him back playing too soon?
Both very true, they probably had him back playing too soon, but its easy to say that in retrospect using new understanding of medical science and the advancements sports have made in the treatment of injuries.

Mistakes were made. 30 years ago.
__________________
- "Somebody may beat me, but they're going to have to bleed to do it."
- Steve Prefontaine
This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 11:12 PM   #34
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player
 
d_phaneuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Bale for Sanchez is like the rich man's version of Lucic for Neal.
Except one is still very good, and the other is now useless
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 02:55 PM   #35
nik-
Franchise Player
 
nik-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Exp:
Default

Sounds like his move to China, while previously falling through, is close to being finalized again.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
Johnny eats garbage and isn’t 100% committed.
nik- is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 03:50 PM   #36
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player
 
Senator Clay Davis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Maryland State House, Annapolis
Exp:
Default

£20 million a year after tax is pretty hard to say no to, even living in China. Hell for that money he could live in Seoul and helicopter to each game.
__________________
"Think I'm gonna be the scapegoat for the whole damn machine? Sheeee......."
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 04:30 PM   #37
Locke
ness Monster
 
Locke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Income Tax Central
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
£20 million a year after tax is pretty hard to say no to, even living in China. Hell for that money he could live in Seoul and helicopter to each game.
Yeah....but if he thought Spain was a culture shock...
__________________
- "Somebody may beat me, but they're going to have to bleed to do it."
- Steve Prefontaine
This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 07:52 PM   #38
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player
 
Senator Clay Davis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Maryland State House, Annapolis
Exp:
Default

It is only preseason, but Atletico leading Real 5-0 at halftime...
__________________
"Think I'm gonna be the scapegoat for the whole damn machine? Sheeee......."
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 09:22 AM   #39
devo22
Franchise Player
 
devo22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Austria, NOT Australia
Exp:
Default

looks like Bales move to China is off. Real apparently called it off and he's now set to stay.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 10:45 AM   #40
Slava
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
looks like Bales move to China is off. Real apparently called it off and he's now set to stay.
I think it's in his best interest anyway. He's still a good player, and if he really wants the money he can always go to China later. Although $1m a week is a nice paycheque and probably more than the entire starting 11 at Spurs!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:36 PM.

Calgary Flames
2017-18




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016