Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-22-2020, 06:31 PM   #1
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 2020 Camping & RV'ing Thread

I did see a 2019 thread, and a 2017 thread, but nothing like a 2020-Covid edition.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, girlfriend and I have rented a 25' motorhome, for the first 2 weeks in July. I have never done something like this, so why the heck not this year, with all the travel restrictions. Usually it's either the family cottage, or someplace far, hotels.

Anyway, so we're gonna head straight to a friend's place in GP, for Canada Day, and then the world is our oyster --- that translates into, no camping sites booked.

I have toyed a bit with various campsites, but want the CP collective input also, including "You're done farked son, booking way too late"

We're aiming for Fort St John, and then further north or west.. or south?
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 04:43 PM   #2
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Welp, upgraded to a 30 footer & confirmed our itinerary.

Splitting our time between Pierre Grey Lakes, and Williston Lake Campground in BC.

Anyone been to either?
Old 06-24-2020, 04:49 PM   #3
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I don’t have advice because I haven’t been to those places, but it sounds like a lot of fun. Wife and I rented a trailer as well for a few days in July just to get out of town. Prices are pretty stupid, but we aren’t sure yet if we want to invest in a vehicle and trailer full time quite yet.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 04:54 PM   #4
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
I don’t have advice because I haven’t been to those places, but it sounds like a lot of fun. Wife and I rented a trailer as well for a few days in July just to get out of town. Prices are pretty stupid, but we aren’t sure yet if we want to invest in a vehicle and trailer full time quite yet.
Crazy stupid? eee the clerk mentioned this is a down year for them, as apparently europeans are a huge part of their clientele.

I was told I got a deal on this motorhome. $2800 for 2 weeks, 2000km. Doesn't include their added insurance, chargeable generator hours, and refilling propane and dumping the crap lol.

Maybe you can leverage something still?

Anyway, I'm being trying to be super planny, getting this trip properly prepped.
Old 06-24-2020, 04:58 PM   #5
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wait, you're taking it for 2 weeks and they are charging you to empty the tanks? You aren't going to make it 2 weeks without doing it yourself.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 05:03 PM   #6
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Wait, you're taking it for 2 weeks and they are charging you to empty the tanks? You aren't going to make it 2 weeks without doing it yourself.
haha, no. I meant they charge to empty, and shared as an added fee.

I'll be emptying it. Probably a few times lol.
Old 06-24-2020, 05:04 PM   #7
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Ours was about the same per night. We got a trailer and paid for them to drop off and pick up. Seems like a lot of money for camping, but I guess that’s what happens when you don’t have a truck or trailer. I’m not too bothered by it though, it will be worth it in the end.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Big Chill For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2020, 09:51 AM   #8
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Recently bought a couple of neat gizmos for my RV and installed them yesterday.

Flip Automatic Jack Foot:

I fataing hate cranking my jack and all the reviews on all the electric jacks are crap, so this should work perfect to cut down on spinning the jack and I won't have to worry about reliability.

Also, picked up a keypad door lock so I don't have to carry a key with me when I'm away from the trailer. I bought this one, but found it on eBay for $179 versus this price on Amazon. This will also be nice so anyone from my family can come and go without needing to find the person with the key.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 10:44 AM   #9
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post

Also, picked up a keypad door lock so I don't have to carry a key with me when I'm away from the trailer. I bought this one, but found it on eBay for $179 versus this price on Amazon. This will also be nice so anyone from my family can come and go without needing to find the person with the key.
Where was this 15 years ago when we got our trailer!! Not sure it's worth the cost now since we probably won't keep it much longer but it would have been priceless a few years ago.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 10:55 AM   #10
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

I fataing hate cranking my jack and all the reviews on all the electric jacks are crap, so this should work perfect to cut down on spinning the jack and I won't have to worry about reliability. ....
So, a $100 replacement for a block of wood?

Last edited by Canadianman; 07-06-2020 at 10:58 AM.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 10:59 AM   #11
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I fataing hate cranking my jack and all the reviews on all the electric jacks are crap, so this should work perfect to cut down on spinning the jack and I won't have to worry about reliability.

With no research at all on my part, I have seen those jack foot type attachments on work trailers a lot and have thought they would be a great idea. I have never seen them on an RV. Are they 'approved' for RV use? Is there any reason they would not be appropriate? I really like the idea as my driveway/alley has a dip and I need to use an external jack to load/unload my trailer to get it to level.

Thanks for the post.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 10:59 AM   #12
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Also, where did you pick it up?
Old 07-06-2020, 11:03 AM   #13
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Triple post score!

I see it on RVs in the amazon posting. May have to pick this up!

Thanks.
Old 07-06-2020, 11:24 AM   #14
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianman View Post
So, a $100 replacement for a block of wood?
Well, it was $65 first of all and it does offer more stability than a block of wood with a jack on top; however, you could apply your logic to almost any purchase aside from basic necessities. I mean, a whole RV could be reduced to $20k more than a tent that accomplishes basically the same thing. Or why are their leveling blocks when you could monkey together some logs and rocks?

I also have this thing, which is a total game changer:

I used to use chunks of wood, but this makes things easier. I love finding ways to make mundane or slightly annoying tasks a bit better and I don't mind spending money to do it. Now when I get to a site or get home I just crank the handle a few times and I'm done. I don't have to open a cubby, drag out my blocks, etc. I just turn the handle and I'm set up faster, easier, cleaner and with more stability. For $65, that's a bargain.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2020, 11:37 AM   #15
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan View Post
Also, where did you pick it up?
Picked it up on Amazon for $65 last week.

Looks like the price has gone up to $85 now though. Maybe you can find it somewhere else for the price I paid?
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2020, 11:44 AM   #16
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Welp, upgraded to a 30 footer & confirmed our itinerary.

Splitting our time between Pierre Grey Lakes, and Williston Lake Campground in BC.

Anyone been to either?
I’ve spent a lot of time at Pierre Grey Lakes. It’s a really nice spot.
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 11:45 AM   #17
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Well, it was $65 first of all and it does offer more stability than a block of wood with a jack on top; however, you could apply your logic to almost any purchase aside from basic necessities. I mean, a whole RV could be reduced to $20k more than a tent that accomplishes basically the same thing. Or why are their leveling blocks when you could monkey together some logs and rocks?

I also have this thing, which is a total game changer:

I used to use chunks of wood, but this makes things easier. I love finding ways to make mundane or slightly annoying tasks a bit better and I don't mind spending money to do it. Now when I get to a site or get home I just crank the handle a few times and I'm done. I don't have to open a cubby, drag out my blocks, etc. I just turn the handle and I'm set up faster, easier, cleaner and with more stability. For $65, that's a bargain.
I'll stick with my block of wood. I didn't mean to offend you, it just seems like a really expensive solution that isn't really any better than the almost-free alternative.

I have the same levellers though. They are awesome.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 11:49 AM   #18
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a removable foot on mine but I still use a block of wood so I have to crank less. Also I like having it on wood at the storage place because the ground gets a little soft.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 10:57 AM   #19
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think there is an updated discussion for camping for camping so I will post my question here. I am thinking about booking a campsite for the long weekend. Provincial parks have sites available at Gull Lake and Pigeon Lake. Gull Lake is pretty nice and has a decent beach but I haven't been to Pigeon Lake before. Would Pigeon Lake be better than Gull Lake?
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 11:08 AM   #20
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pigeon is basically permanent blue green algae no?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alberta , camping , motorhome , rving