Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-12-2019, 07:07 PM   #1
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:
Icon40 Kane dealt to Pittsburgh. Atkinson +++ acquired by NYI

The New York Islanders announced today that they have acquired forwards Cameron Atkinson, Kristian Vesalainen, Ruslan Iskhakov, and Josh Nodler, as well as a 2020 third-round pick, from the Pittsburgh Penguins.

In return, they have sent winger Patrick Kane to the Pittsburgh Penguins. Kane departs the Islanders without having played a single game with the team.

"We needed more long-term stability," said GM TheScorpion. "We have a few outstanding trade conditions to fulfill, and it was important to us to acquire assets with the potential to help us in that regard."

Atkinson is signed for three more seasons; Kane is on an expiring contract, as was Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, the main piece New York sent to acquire Kane last month.

"We view this transaction as a completion of our original move. Essentially, we dealt Nugent-Hopkins and a 2nd for Atkinson. That's a trade we're happy with making, as we feel Atkinson is a clear upgrade and he's locked into our club, unlike Kane and RNH.

"The third-rounders cancel out, obviously, as do Iskhakov and Firstov. Then, we see it as Leddy, Bracco, and Pirri for Vesalainen, Sheary, and Nodler. A higher price to pay, obviously, but we see Sheary and Pirri as roughly equal going forward. Leddy is on the decline, we feel, and Bracco is in tough to make noise behind an incredibly stacked Toronto offense. Vesalainen, on the other hand, is a top-notch first-round talent that we're tremendously excited about."

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 07:09 PM   #2
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Thanks to Goffie for sticking with this one, took quite a long time

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:26 PM   #3
Goffie
Franchise Player

Exp:

We knew this was a steep price to pay for a 4ov upgrade. But Kane is an elite player and has been one of my favourite players for a long time. He spent the majority of his CPHL career on the Pens and we wanted him back.

Atkinson was the best waiver pickup in Pens history so we were happy to use him to get a personal favourite back.

I am high on Vesalainen. But felt that we had the prospect depth to let him go. We needed to shed roster spots and figured may as well do that while bringing back a fav. This trade took a while to get done but I think it works well for both teams.

I feel this deal will also raise league activity because it gives Scorp more pieces to move around and that is always fun.

The Pens are in trade mode and not done yet as the team looks to make a few more moves before the season starts.

Goffie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:19 PM   #4
Inufie
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I like it!!
Inufie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:22 PM   #5
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Nice return for a waiver pick up in Atkinson. I’m still mad I missed out on him.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote