Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2021, 06:27 PM   #21
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
why not show us Phillips and Philp?
Because Darryl mumbles too much and doesn't want to risk a too many men penalty by accidentally sending out both at the same time.
Old 05-15-2021, 06:58 PM   #22
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's like we're forgetting that Sutter signed Kristian Huselius who was a playmaker for the Flames for 3 seasons.

And it's not like Sutter hates players that are skilled and can produce offense. That's the biggest thing he's been ####ting on the roster about. He openly criticizes that the team doesn't have the offensive ability of three other teams in the division. So when he's making it clear he thinks the team needs more firepower, I don't think he's in a rush to get rid of one of his best producing forwards just because he has a vendetta against small players.

If Gaudreau is going while still attempting to be competitive, it's to bring in more offense, not get less.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2021, 07:03 PM   #23
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
It's like we're forgetting that Sutter signed Kristian Huselius who was a playmaker for the Flames for 3 seasons.

And it's not like Sutter hates players that are skilled and can produce offense. That's the biggest thing he's been ####ting on the roster about. He openly criticizes that the team doesn't have the offensive ability of three other teams in the division. So when he's making it clear he thinks the team needs more firepower, I don't think he's in a rush to get rid of one of his best producing forwards just because he has a vendetta against small players.

If Gaudreau is going while still attempting to be competitive, it's to bring in more offense, not get less.
So then why not play Phillips?
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 07:11 PM   #24
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
The bottom-six wingers continue to befuddle me. Simon, Ritchie, and Leivo are basically gone already... why not show us Phillips and Philp?
Presumably you’re too young to remember Sutter’s coaching tenure here.

Sutter will always play a guy who has demonstrated he can play the way Sutter wants him to play rather than give a guy the opportunity to learn on the job. He ices the roster he feels is most likely to win the next game. Period.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 05-15-2021 at 07:17 PM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 07:33 PM   #25
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Because he hasn't played a single NHL game in his life, when Sutter came in in the middle of a super condensed season with a team already behind the 8-ball?

Maybe he'll get a game or two in since Sutter has said he's gonna get young guys in to finish off the year.

With having a full off-season, training camp, and a proper season next year (and quite frankly a real season), we'll get more of an idea of players Sutter truly wants to play with when the roster takes the ice this fall.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 07:43 PM   #26
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
he might get a game...its not like he dominated the AHL though and a guy his size pretty much has to if they want a look

pretty unlikely NHLer
Old 05-15-2021, 09:09 PM   #27
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Sutter will play one or two kids at a time, not all of them in one game.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 09:12 PM   #28
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, at least there is some young players in the lineup.

Not sure what Sutter needs to see in Simon, Ritchie, Nordstrom and Leivo. I am sure he will ask Treliving to re-sign some of them, and and replace the rest. I guess Simon hasn't been in the lineup much (or at all? I can't remember) under Sutter.

I would really love to see a Valimaki - Kylington pair for just one game though, and hopefully a Phillips-Ruzicka pairing as well even on the 4th line. I would rather see a Gaudreau - Lindholm - Phillips line for a game though.

It is making these last few games feel a lot more tedious than they already are though.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 09:20 PM   #29
hixxes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My assumption with Simon is it's a case of him being a good soldier through a tough season so here's a game or two. I would expect to see Rinaldo in one of the last games as well.
To be shot down in Flames!

hixxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 09:24 PM   #30
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post

Exactly, he is raising the bar and saying the team is not good enough. Another way of telling the organization to get their head out of the sand. He has no issue with small talented players, he has huge issues with lack of effort. Effort was pointed out during some of the player interviews on his coaching style.

Last edited by DazzlinDino; 05-15-2021 at 09:26 PM.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 07:58 AM   #31
ColoradoFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Maybe Sutter wants to see how they’ll play in a realistic situation.
Rather than putting a bunch of random Stockton players on the ice, maybe he wants to insert players like a real life situation, like an injury call up. That way the younger players are surrounded by capable veterans that can support and cover.
Is it better to have several in playing a modified Flames/Stockton system, and lose, or have a couple in to learn the Flames system and have a chance to win?
Just a guess
ColoradoFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ColoradoFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2021, 10:33 AM   #32
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pelletier is still in the Q playoffs but Zary is done with Blazers as their season recently ended.

Next season Pelletier will be expected to get some NHL games in as would Zary

These exhibition games against Vancouver would be a great time for either one of these guys to see NHL players going close to full speed up close to get them set to see how much better they need to be going into 2021-22 training camp.

Phillips is not good enough. At his size he needs to be offensively dominating at the AHL level to move to a top-6 spot in the NHL.

Likely it wouldn't do any damage to let him play an NHL game but it will not be a big surprise when the Flames do not qualify him in the off season
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 11:16 AM   #33
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Phillips was easily the best offensive player on a team that was incredibly far from being an ideal development spot. They went 3-15-2 down the stretch but he was still fantastic.

He was one of the most skilled players in the Canadian Division... thinking off the top of my head, I don't think it's far-fetched to say only Cole Perfetti and Egor Sokolov played more consistently at or above his level.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 12:08 PM   #34
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoFlamesFan View Post
Maybe Sutter wants to see how they’ll play in a realistic situation.
Rather than putting a bunch of random Stockton players on the ice, maybe he wants to insert players like a real life situation, like an injury call up. That way the younger players are surrounded by capable veterans that can support and cover.
Is it better to have several in playing a modified Flames/Stockton system, and lose, or have a couple in to learn the Flames system and have a chance to win?
Just a guess
It’s humiliating to play these games when everyone else is playing the playoffs at the same time

Kinda like everyone is dancing with a hot chicks while you are dancing with your sister
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 12:39 PM   #35
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
It’s humiliating to play these games when everyone else is playing the playoffs at the same time
Do you play on the team? Go for a walk it's nice outside. I don't get how a hockey team you cheer for can personally humiliate you?
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 12:42 PM   #36
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Beard View Post
Do you play on the team? Go for a walk it's nice outside. I don't get how a hockey team you cheer for can personally humiliate you?
I meant it’s humiliating for the players

But yeah it’s embarrassing for fans too

You know battle between fans exist right?
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 01:36 PM   #37
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
I meant it’s humiliating for the players

But yeah it’s embarrassing for fans too

You know battle between fans exist right?
I think you take sports too seriously. This is all supposed to be fun.

"Humiliating"
"Embarassing"
"A Joke"

Nothing the Flames do or don't do reflect on me. And anyone that thinks it does, including other teams' fans - is a moron.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2021, 01:46 PM   #38
TheMagicMan
Backup Goalie

Exp:

So with Smith, Talbot and Riitich all in the playoffs, what does this say about the Flames, if anything?
TheMagicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 01:48 PM   #39
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMagicMan View Post
So with Smith, Talbot and Riitich all in the playoffs, what does this say about the Flames, if anything?
And McElhanney in Tampa.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 01:51 PM   #40
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMagicMan View Post
Nothing that isn’t already apparent.

We suck.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote