Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2021, 07:03 PM   #61
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Sportsclubstats takes forever to update, but I think the Flames chances will be below 3.0% once the scores are refreshed.

It is idiotic to do anything other than prioritize drafting and development at this point. There's already an overwhelming losing culture, so you don't have to worry about forming that.

Do you suggest the coach tells his players to throw the game? Or just play crappy on purpose jeopardizing some of their chances of new or better contracts?

This take confuses me.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:05 PM   #62
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Do you suggest the coach tells his players to throw the game? Or just play crappy on purpose jeopardizing some of their chances of new or better contracts?

This take confuses me.
Neither. Play the kids. Regardless of whether they help you win or not, it's invaluable developmental time and will do a lot in convincing people the team has any sort of direction.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2021, 07:08 PM   #63
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Neither. Play the kids. Regardless of whether they help you win or not, it's invaluable developmental time and will do a lot in convincing people the team has any sort of direction.
100% this. Don't sewer any games by benching your top players, but get the kids some legit NHL exposure. That way they know what is expected of them next year
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:09 PM   #64
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Brent Krahn has a future with this. I like him.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2021, 07:15 PM   #65
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ok- time to experiment with the kids. No need to win any games and lose draft position from here on out. It's not mathematically impossible but it's pretty damn close.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:16 PM   #66
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Exactly, no point of playing Norstrom, Ritchies, Stone, Leivo or even Ryan. Monahan can rest his injuries also.
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:18 PM   #67
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
Exactly, no point of playing Norstrom, Ritchies, Stone, Leivo or even Ryan. Monahan can rest his injuries also.

Do the Flames have the cap space for that many new players?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:20 PM   #68
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m golfing tomorrow - seems apt.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:22 PM   #69
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

They can play the kids after the next 3 game stint with the habs. I know it’s a long shot but the Habs aren’t that good. Still think flames can sweep the next 3 vs habs.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:24 PM   #70
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Do the Flames have the cap space for that many new players?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If they send down the guys they're replacing, yes.

Last edited by TheScorpion; 04-17-2021 at 01:47 PM.
TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:26 PM   #71
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

They needed to go 5-0 against Montreal to even have a chance. I know there’s some hope if they go 4-1 but let’s be realistic: they needed 5-0.

But I never expected that so I’m not too bummed. I’m just sitting back and enjoying watching hockey for a while longer and then it’s on to the summer.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2021, 07:32 PM   #72
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

At the risk of being negative, outside of the 3 posts and Tkachuk’s whiff they didn’t really have many good chances. Allen didn’t have to be great. They controlled play but didn’t generate a lot of danger IMO.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:32 PM   #73
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Playing out the season win or lose the way Sutter wants them to. > Tanking for a pick that doesn't even guarantee them future success especially this year's draft and giving players the impression that losing is ok and encouraged.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:34 PM   #74
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tanking is done at the GM/Coaching level by trading players and having maintenance days so that the team on the ice is not capable of winning. It should never be done at the player level. They should be completing hard in every game.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2021, 07:38 PM   #75
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Tanking is done at the GM/Coaching level by trading players and having maintenance days so that the team on the ice is not capable of winning. It should never be done at the player level. They should be completing hard in every game.
Exactly.
And they already committed to tanking by trading star forward Sam Bennett.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2021, 07:39 PM   #76
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
The direction of the team is pretty obvious. They aren't going to do a full rebuild, they have changed the style of play and a few players have shown that they are able to adapt to it (Gaudreau, Giordano, Nordstrom, Lindholm, Hanifin, and Markstrom have all improved in recent games... Tkachuck a bit better too.). The style is working pretty well against good competition and is going to get better with more implementation, practice, off-season moves, and a training camp. Ruszicka and Phillips aren't forcing themselves into the line up at this point, either. If they were tearing up the AHL then the team would probably be willing to give them a shot.

One thing that I've been a bit disappointed by is that I find Mangiapane to be a little less effective. Him and Dube are pretty small for a cycle game and I don't think it is a lack of effort as much as a poor fit. Which is the difference with a guy like Gaudreau who is so talented that he can still create chances despite an imperfect fit to the style.

If they do fall short, it will be disappointing but I'd still be excited for next season based on what they are doing now. Besides, this is hardly a draft worth tanking for.
Savvy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Savvy27 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2021, 07:45 PM   #77
OldSam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great effort again. Not a lot of luck this year.Move on.
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:54 PM   #78
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
Do you prefer him over Tanev or Markstrom?
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowlord View Post
We could definitely use the scoring RW in Toffoli, but it means we don't have the cap space for either Markstrom or Tanev. Which one do we give up to sign Toffoli?
No sense in me crying over spilled milk. I just wanted Toffoli when he was a FA, as he was exactly what he needed, and nights like tonight is just salt in my wound.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 08:06 PM   #79
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy27 View Post
The direction of the team is pretty obvious. They aren't going to do a full rebuild, they have changed the style of play and a few players have shown that they are able to adapt to it (Gaudreau, Giordano, Nordstrom, Lindholm, Hanifin, and Markstrom have all improved in recent games... Tkachuck a bit better too.). The style is working pretty well against good competition and is going to get better with more implementation, practice, off-season moves, and a training camp. Ruszicka and Phillips aren't forcing themselves into the line up at this point, either. If they were tearing up the AHL then the team would probably be willing to give them a shot.

One thing that I've been a bit disappointed by is that I find Mangiapane to be a little less effective. Him and Dube are pretty small for a cycle game and I don't think it is a lack of effort as much as a poor fit. Which is the difference with a guy like Gaudreau who is so talented that he can still create chances despite an imperfect fit to the style.

If they do fall short, it will be disappointing but I'd still be excited for next season based on what they are doing now. Besides, this is hardly a draft worth tanking for.

I think the team should still tank, you never know we might still get a quality player. Maybe we make the playoffs next season so anything quality we get this draft is still important going forward.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 08:11 PM   #80
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSam View Post
Great effort again. Not a lot of luck this year.Move on.
Agreed. They played well and deserved a better fate. I think we are starting to see Sutter's impact in this team.
Infinit47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Infinit47 For This Useful Post: