Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2021, 02:39 PM   #1241
pepper24
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bennett started out good as a Flame if I recall ala 18 year old Bennett. Let's give him some time to regress back to his usual self.

We had the same with James Real Deal Neal as well and Lucic now is looking like the better player while Neal is a press box regular.
pepper24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 04:04 PM   #1242
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper24 View Post
Bennett started out good as a Flame if I recall ala 18 year old Bennett. Let's give him some time to regress back to his usual self.

We had the same with James Real Deal Neal as well and Lucic now is looking like the better player while Neal is a press box regular.

The problem with this narrative is that the underlying metrics have, for the most part, been rather good for Bennett. It hasn't been for Neal.

He might regress to his 'usual self' or he might just end up being a really good player. One of these statements will end up being correct. I don't think his production is going to remain at this level, but I do think he will be productive.

There were plenty of angry people after Savard was traded. Not so much for St. Louis who never really got an opportunity here to see what 'may be one day'. I am not angry about the trade, and I don't see it as the Flames losing or winning anything in the future based on Bennett's production.

The one thing that I have always taken issue is how he has been managed here. Hartley had him on the right path. Gulutzan comes in and seemingly threw a wrench into the whole works. Bennett should have started that season as the third line centre playing with Tkachuk and a vet like Versteeg that year, and Jagr the next. Tkachuk - Bennett should probably have been a thing. Would it have worked for sure? I don't know, but it makes no sense not to have tried it back then.

Hartley had Gaudreau-Monahan together in Monahan's second season (and Gaudreau's first), paired with a good vet (Hudler). Monahan's first year, Hartley tried pairing him with Baertschi too, but Baerstchi sucks.

X-Backlund-Frolik would have been solid no matter what. Tkachuk - Bennett - X should have been a logical pairing in my mind, but it was never tried.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 04:24 PM   #1243
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper24 View Post

Lucic also struggled in Edmonton but has turned it around so it can happen for Bennett too. He is still young and has an elite coach Florida, I am rooting for Sam!
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DazzlinDino For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2021, 04:28 PM   #1244
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
The problem with this narrative is that the underlying metrics have, for the most part, been rather good for Bennett. It hasn't been for Neal.

He might regress to his 'usual self' or he might just end up being a really good player. One of these statements will end up being correct. I don't think his production is going to remain at this level, but I do think he will be productive.

There were plenty of angry people after Savard was traded. Not so much for St. Louis who never really got an opportunity here to see what 'may be one day'. I am not angry about the trade, and I don't see it as the Flames losing or winning anything in the future based on Bennett's production.

The one thing that I have always taken issue is how he has been managed here. Hartley had him on the right path. Gulutzan comes in and seemingly threw a wrench into the whole works. Bennett should have started that season as the third line centre playing with Tkachuk and a vet like Versteeg that year, and Jagr the next. Tkachuk - Bennett should probably have been a thing. Would it have worked for sure? I don't know, but it makes no sense not to have tried it back then.

Hartley had Gaudreau-Monahan together in Monahan's second season (and Gaudreau's first), paired with a good vet (Hudler). Monahan's first year, Hartley tried pairing him with Baertschi too, but Baerstchi sucks.

X-Backlund-Frolik would have been solid no matter what. Tkachuk - Bennett - X should have been a logical pairing in my mind, but it was never tried.

I have a feeling Bennett lost confidence and dialed it out here the same thing we are seeing with Tkachuk. Tkachuk is definitely a lot better than he is showing. Will be interesting and fun to watch what Bennett does on his new team. The Flames definitely may have to rethink how to get the most out of these young guys.
Old 04-27-2021, 05:56 PM   #1245
Poster
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomeFoam View Post
Recency bias is a bitch. As if Bennett didn't get multiple looks with the 'top end' players with this team. People losing their #### because a highly mediocre player is experiencing a bump on an incredibly deep and well coached team playing with one of the most elite puck distributors in the league.

And now, people losing their #### because Darryl supposedly wanted to keep an expiring UFA around for 15 garbage games? Bennett can always come back for more garbage games with Darryl next year but in that stint we'll have a couple good assets in our back pocket.

LOL
Benny is not a UFA and there is no chance FLA won’t give him a QO to maintain his rights.

Just accept CGY f’d around and now are finding out.
Poster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Poster For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2021, 06:29 PM   #1246
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

He probably meant RFA plus the expansion draft and a player who asked to be traded

Can't judge a trade after 2 weeks
Old 04-27-2021, 06:50 PM   #1247
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
I have a feeling Bennett lost confidence and dialed it out here the same thing we are seeing with Tkachuk. Tkachuk is definitely a lot better than he is showing. Will be interesting and fun to watch what Bennett does on his new team. The Flames definitely may have to rethink how to get the most out of these young guys.
Probably stats with not hiring crap coaches like GG and Ward.
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 06:56 PM   #1248
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Nice 5 games or whatever.

He won't do it for 82.

Let's not be like that ex stalker in here as it relates to Sam Bennett.

Chill. Stop analyzing the past to death. Move on.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2021, 07:05 PM   #1249
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_H8_Crawford View Post
Probably stats with not hiring crap coaches like GG and Ward.

Agreed!! To build a winner the Flames should have focused on experienced winning coach, which is what you need for young guys coming up in a rebuild.. Florida see's Bennett for what he was drafted for and are using him in all situations until he can start to regain his abilities. Coach Q has worked with skilled players he knows he has to push Bennett to maximize his potential.

Typical Flames sheltering Bennett long after the due date!

Hopefully Bennett will keep building, because this is about as good a situation as he could have gotten. He is a good young kid!
Old 04-27-2021, 07:07 PM   #1250
Poster
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
He probably meant RFA plus the expansion draft and a player who asked to be traded

Can't judge a trade after 2 weeks
The expansion draft was a real issue but there posted I responded to was clearly under the impression Bennett was a UFA by the use of the words “expiring”.
Poster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 07:09 PM   #1251
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

PP assist for Sam. Yeh!
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 07:09 PM   #1252
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another assist for Bennett...
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 07:11 PM   #1253
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not watching but it's showing as Duclair unassisted on NHL app?

Nevermind, updated.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 07:12 PM   #1254
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
It was Benny to Huberdeau to Duclair. It’ll get updated.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 07:12 PM   #1255
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Nice 5 games or whatever.

He won't do it for 82.
what is "it" though?

Produce a ppg with most of it being even strength? Probably not, since most PPG players need more powerplay production to do so.

Be a steady 200 foot center who deserves to play with a guy like Huberdeau and log big ice time, kill penalties, etc? I don't see why not.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 07:12 PM   #1256
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
I’m watching. Bank it.
Old 04-27-2021, 07:13 PM   #1257
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Who cares.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 07:13 PM   #1258
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
what is "it" though?

Produce a ppg with most of it being even strength? Probably not, since most PPG players need more powerplay production to do so.

Be a steady 200 foot center who deserves to play with a guy like Huberdeau and log big ice time, kill penalties, etc? I don't see why not.
He’s been on the #1 PP unit the last 2 games.
Old 04-27-2021, 07:14 PM   #1259
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

are we really going to do this every time he gets a point

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 07:16 PM   #1260
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
are we really going to do this every time he gets a point
Not until his CP nickname is Secondary Sam, just like his hero Secondary Sid

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote