Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What will happen to Brad Treliving after the end of the season?
He should and will be fired 167 17.06%
He should be fired, but will continue as the Flames GM 277 28.29%
He should not and will not be fired 288 29.42%
He should not but will be fired 27 2.76%
Unsure if he should be, but he will be fired 37 3.78%
Unsure if he should be, but he will not be fired 183 18.69%
Voters: 979. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-20-2021, 10:29 PM   #41
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

^ Agreed, he'll have to take Cassie with him.
Old 02-20-2021, 10:29 PM   #42
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
My only concern with getting rid of Treliving is I feel like he's getting better at every part of his job other than coaching hires.

Take UFAs - Tanev/Markstrom have worked out better than basically any of his previous signings (eg Brouwer/Neal)

On the trade front I feel like he's stopped burning picks (eg Hamonic/Hamilton) in favour of hockey trades (Lindholm deal).

I think he works hard and is learning. I'd be disappointed if he does turn out to be a wizard somewhere else after the Flames invested 7 years into his development.

Especially if Ward was an ownership decision to pick the cheapest option. In that case firing Treliving doesn't solve the problem at all.
I don't disagree, and I think wherever he goes next he'd do really well.

My only complaint now is coaching. If that's on him then time has ran out. But I'm still not convinced that's totally on him since bargain bin garbage coaches is something that's been an issue here long before Treliving's time
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2021, 10:30 PM   #43
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post
The Wizard just needs more time. He’s only seven years into creating his style of team which isn’t nearly enough time.

It was a really tough job to take on. All he inherited was Mark Giordano, Johnny Gaudreau, Sean Monahan, TJ Brodie, and Mikael Backlund. Even the best GMs would struggle with being handed that type of foundation on a silver platter.

The hallmark of good teams is stability at the GM position. If you have a bad GM you should keep him for another several years because he might become good. And then if he doesn’t become good, you should give him another few years because he might just get lucky. Only then should you make a change.

I Bradlieve in the Wizard.
That’s a four bagger post. Take a trot around the bases.

I’d add the cap space, assets to acquire extra picks and almost the lowest expectations any Flames GM has had in recent memory.

It’s staggering how little progress the big league club has made in seven years. A few nice draft picks though, I’ll give him that.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2021, 10:30 PM   #44
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricosuave View Post
^ Agreed, he'll have to take Cassie with him.
God willing.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 10:33 PM   #45
mikeecho
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Treliving is just starting a 4 year contract from what I recall. He’s not going anywhere soon.
mikeecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 10:34 PM   #46
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
As Scorp reminded me I forgot Brett Ritchie!

Holy ####, FML.
You forgot Bennett also.
Old 02-20-2021, 10:34 PM   #47
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I consider myself traditionally as a Brad Treliving apologist, but I’m quickly angling to this guy is average at best, after this off season. He did great getting Markstrom, but that’s money talking. The team showed they weren’t skilled enough to compete in the division last playoffs, and nothing whatsoever was addressed there. I chalk that up to the lack of trades overall because of COVID, but something had to be done. At this point there are so many things wrong with the team as a whole that nobody should be untradeable. Coaching has been a disaster, the Bennett situation has been handled horribly, and there’s money been spent on some terrible contracts. It’s on the GM, and now we can’t deny it.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 10:35 PM   #48
Azhouse
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulchoice View Post
Get rid of Pascall too. As he is part of the management team, since 2014.

Keep Conroy, as he is “Conroy”.
Get rid of his wife as well please.

Last edited by Azhouse; 02-20-2021 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Beaten by rico
Azhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Azhouse For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2021, 10:37 PM   #49
Dx54
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passe La Puck View Post
His dad makes ####ty pizza as well. #### that family!
Honestly though, BPs is not quality food.
Dx54 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dx54 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2021, 10:39 PM   #50
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
My only concern with getting rid of Treliving is I feel like he's getting better at every part of his job other than coaching hires.

Take UFAs - Tanev/Markstrom have worked out better than basically any of his previous signings (eg Brouwer/Neal)

On the trade front I feel like he's stopped burning picks (eg Hamonic/Hamilton) in favour of hockey trades (Lindholm deal).

I think he works hard and is learning. I'd be disappointed if he does turn out to be a wizard somewhere else after the Flames invested 7 years into his development.

Especially if Ward was an ownership decision to pick the cheapest option. In that case firing Treliving doesn't solve the problem at all.
Well he did trade away a 3rd and a 4th last year at the deadline and he had a bubble team.

Oddly the only years he was not a buyer at the deadline was when he had the 2nd best team in the NHL, 2016 and when he smartly sold at the 2015 deadline when he had Feaster’s bubble team that went to the second round.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 10:40 PM   #51
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
I am for a different hire, but it has to makes sense. Who would you guys want to hire as replacement?
Fire coach and GM and then let the assistants run the show for the rest of the season. Can’t be worse.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 10:41 PM   #52
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think its time. It would be good to see where a new architect can take this team. Treliving has done some quality things here but the Ward hiring should be his undoing. Was a terrible decision made even worse because he didn't learn from his previous hires.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 10:44 PM   #53
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
Well he did trade away a 3rd and a 4th last year at the deadline and he had a bubble team.

Oddly the only years he was not a buyer at the deadline was when he had the 2nd best team in the NHL, 2016 and when he smartly sold at the 2015 deadline when he had Feaster’s bubble team that went to the second round.
Yeah, last years deadline was definitely a mistake. It definitely would have been better to recoup a pick for either Brodie or Hamonic, and buying depth was a waste of picks.

I'd love to see us start being on the other side of those trades, where our 6/7 D get traded for a 3rd every year at the deadline. Replacement players are replaceable, but if you make a bunch of extra picks you'll hit the odd sleeper star.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 10:44 PM   #54
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
I consider myself traditionally as a Brad Treliving apologist, but I’m quickly angling to this guy is average at best, after this off season. He did great getting Markstrom, but that’s money talking. The team showed they weren’t skilled enough to compete in the division last playoffs, and nothing whatsoever was addressed there. I chalk that up to the lack of trades overall because of COVID, but something had to be done. At this point there are so many things wrong with the team as a whole that nobody should be untradeable. Coaching has been a disaster, the Bennett situation has been handled horribly, and there’s money been spent on some terrible contracts. It’s on the GM, and now we can’t deny it.

I also agree it's Tre's turn to go. This team as assembled regardless of coach is not a team that's going to win in the playoffs so we know we need a rebuild or a major retool of players and we know that since the team has essentially quit on Ward that band aid needs to be ripped off promptly. As an ownership group letting a GM who might be trying to save their job attempt to fix both those things could be a disaster long term. Fire Tre and Ward like tomorrow or Monday, hire the next GM over the next few weeks and let them do the work of dismantling the team for maximum values ahead of the deadline and then let them hire their coach and in the offseason let that coach hire his coaching staff entirely and do not insist on keeping any holdovers.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2021, 10:44 PM   #55
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wrong thread

Last edited by GioforPM; 02-20-2021 at 10:47 PM.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 10:46 PM   #56
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Debrusk has been pretty good aside from the goalie interference blather (which I think he was just trying to create drama with).
DeBrusk for coach, or GM?
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2021, 10:47 PM   #57
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Debrusk has been pretty good aside from the goalie interference blather (which I think he was just trying to create drama with).
Debrusk is a great colour analyst. He is by far the best option for the later Hockey Night in Canada option. Since it appears the west gets the shaft for competent people in the booth on Saturdays. Unless it’s Ball or Shorthouse.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 10:48 PM   #58
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

He needs to go before Ward.
N-E-B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 10:49 PM   #59
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Team still feels like it has too many holes.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DazzlinDino For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2021, 10:50 PM   #60
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulchoice View Post
Noah Dobson(Hamonic trade) and Jordan Kyrou(Elliot trade)would slot nicely into this team now.
Nice piece of cherry picking here.

Let’s not forget Sven Bartschi for Rasmussen Anderson or Kris Russell for a Dillon Dube.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post: