Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2021, 09:56 AM   #2161
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57109040

This is not really news worthy, but it just shows what a nut Taylor Greene is.

Her response to AOC saying when she was a bartender she would throw out people like her was.... something:

Quote:
Ms Ocasio-Cortez called it a case of "intimidation" on Thursday, saying: "I used to work as a bartender. These are the kinds of people that I threw out of bars all the time."

"I refuse to allow young women, people of colour, people who are standing up for what they believe, to see this kind of intimidation attempts by a person who supports white supremacists in our nation's capital," she added, referring to the Trump supporters who stormed the US Capitol in January.

In response, Mrs Greene told reporters: "She throws out paying customers, is what she's saying?"
Yes Marj, that's what she is saying...
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 10:02 AM   #2162
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Is this a thing now, where anyone can call anyone anything, or describe any practice in any way they want, and when you point out that they're wrong you just wave your hand and say "semantics"? Can I just call you a pedophile, and when you point out that you don't meet the definition, can I just say, "oh, so we're worried about semantics"? In the context of this discussion it wouldn't be surprising to see someone referred to as a war criminal. Does it matter if they actually are, or are we just going for effect here?
IANAL, but I feel as though describing someone's talking points as being dehumanizing and defaming them by calling them a pedo are on completely different ends of the legal spectrum.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 10:26 AM   #2163
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
IANAL, but I feel as though describing someone's talking points as being dehumanizing and defaming them by calling them a pedo are on completely different ends of the legal spectrum.
IANAL either, but his post was pretty clearly talking about sloppy use of language, legal implications aren't really central to the point.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 10:59 AM   #2164
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
IANAL either, but his post was pretty clearly talking about sloppy use of language, legal implications aren't really central to the point.
I was mostly busting his balls. Corsi has a history of pivoting to the legal definition of things when we do the semantics dance, so I was just returning the favour.

Still, a pretty big leap from "the consequences of this type of language is that it dehumanizes people," (which is the vibe I got from AOC's tweet) to outright calling someone a pedo.
Old 05-14-2021, 11:14 AM   #2165
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Plus "what if I called someone a pedophile???" is just ridiculous. I think Corsi and maybe one other poster use it as some weird Godwinesque nuclear deterrent for language they don't agree with.

By all means, call people pedophiles and see how it goes for you. Apply the theory and let's test it.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 01:42 PM   #2166
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
They’re a gift to Republicans. If GOP hackers took over their social media accounts in an effort to antagonize moderates and turn them away from the Dems, I doubt anybody would notice a change.
"Pipe down, Rashida! You're scaring the moderates!"

https://twitter.com/user/status/1393207603178741764
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2021, 02:14 PM   #2167
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol oh man this is definitely top tier "So bad it's good" stuff

https://twitter.com/user/status/1393247119105003537
Old 05-14-2021, 05:45 PM   #2168
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

This stuff doesn't surprise me at all, the question is what was the age of these women? That could be the big bomb to drop.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1393337121063190532
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 06:33 PM   #2169
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

With today’s ousting of Liz Cheney, the Republican Party has completed its transformation into a fascist, authoritarian death cult. It is up to all Americans to #RejectGOPFascism.

Old 05-14-2021, 06:44 PM   #2170
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
With today’s ousting of Liz Cheney, the Republican Party has completed its transformation into a fascist, authoritarian death cult. It is up to all Americans to #RejectGOPFascism.

I'm not holding my breath
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 06:44 PM   #2171
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Is this a thing now, where anyone can call anyone anything, or describe any practice in any way they want, and when you point out that they're wrong you just wave your hand and say "semantics"? Can I just call you a pedophile, and when you point out that you don't meet the definition, can I just say, "oh, so we're worried about semantics"? In the context of this discussion it wouldn't be surprising to see someone referred to as a war criminal. Does it matter if they actually are, or are we just going for effect here?

People don't just get to say whatever they like regardless of whether it's true or makes any sense and then, when their idiocy is pointed out, accuse the people correcting them of being pedantic. FFS, that's so incredibly obnoxious.
Sounds like those people who could use some education as to what the true definition of "arguing semantics" actually is.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 08:14 PM   #2172
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Rising star in the Democratic Party is Jocelyn Benson, Secretary of State in Michigan. Always impresses me on cable news appearances.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 08:19 PM   #2173
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

If this is all an act then please give this woman an Oscar, bat#### has never been more convincing

https://twitter.com/user/status/1393208622054842368
Old 05-14-2021, 09:06 PM   #2174
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

The sad part is that I'm not surprised at all that a despicable piece of s*** lunatic like Greene was elected to Congress, especially after 4 years of Trump's insanity and the attempted coup on Jan. 6th. That country is a disaster right now.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:11 PM   #2175
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
The sad part is that I'm not surprised at all that a despicable piece of s*** lunatic like Greene was elected to Congress, especially after 4 years of Trump's insanity and the attempted coup on Jan. 6th. That country is a disaster right now.
Politics and division are definitely problematic, but tonight I went out to eat in an open food market (lots of little stall restaurants) without a mask. Lots of people out having a good time.

I know it's fashionable for Canadians to #### on Americans from a distance. I should know, I used to do it to when I lived in Canada. But honestly? Things are going relatively well here now.

It helps that we have an adult in the white house again.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2021, 09:24 PM   #2176
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

A few little creature comforts are the greatest political tool.
Old 05-14-2021, 10:54 PM   #2177
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Link
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scorch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2021, 12:35 AM   #2178
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
With less than six weeks to New York’s mayoral primaries, two candidates have left themselves electorally vulnerable for vastly underestimating the median cost of buying a home or apartment in Brooklyn.

“In Brooklyn, huh? I don’t know for sure. I would guess it is around $100,000,” Shaun Donovan, the housing and urban development secretary under Barack Obama and housing commissioner under the former New York mayor Mike Bloomberg, told the New York Times.

[...]

In the same set of endorsement-seeking interviews, Ray McGuire, a wealthy former Citigroup executive, guessed that the median sales price was “somewhere in the $80,000 to $90,000 range, if not higher”.

[...]

Brooklyn’s median sales price is
Spoiler!
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-housing-costs

Last edited by SebC; 05-15-2021 at 12:40 AM.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2021, 02:35 AM   #2179
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
I'm not holding my breath

Me neither.

The current administration is a pause in the descent to American fascism.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 04:00 AM   #2180
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
Me neither.

The current administration is a pause in the descent to American fascism.

This is exactly what I fear will happen. With the GOP now fully embracing Trumpism and all these voter suppression bills being signed into law in numerous states, America is just one election away from becoming the Divided States of QAnon. Even if the Dems somehow pull off wins in 2022 and 2024, will the current GOP accept any of the results? Not likely. When one of the two major parties doesn't live in reality anymore, that's obviously gonna cause severe problems going forward.

Biden's administration will certainly provide a nice reprieve for a while, but I'm highly skeptical about whether or not that country can ever truly right the ship. When the Senate let Trump off the hook for the events of Jan. 6th, I felt like that was the point of no return.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote