Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2021, 12:59 PM   #12221
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
If Lindholm is added, no thanks.

Would rather give up Monahan. We’re already giving up quite a bit with Tkachuk/Zary/1st.

Would go Tkachuk + Monahan + 2021 1st + Phillips for Eichel and Reinhart. If we’re not going to play Phillips we may as well give him to a team that will.

If we can hold ont Zary that would be best. If they want Zary or Pelletier to seal the deal over Phillips then I do it.
Phillips will not be a significant asset that makes or breaks a trade, so in a trade where you're trying to balance out values, Phillips doesn't help. Every team will have prospects like Phillips, only more likely to be successful in the NHL. Phillips is toss in on a deal, and only to balance out contracts, so if you're trying to get players of consequence, Phillips is a name that shouldn't be brought up. Seriously, would you consider a 23 year old, 5'7 140 pound center who just put up 8 goals and 13 assists in 30 AHL games, and has yet to make an appearance in the NHL, an attractive asset if you were dealing two of your best forwards?

Tkachuk + Lindholm + Zary/Pelletier or a 1st for Eichel AND Reinhart is very reasonable, to the point of it being grossly skewed to the Flames. People seem to think Reinhart is some toss in, but he's coming off a 25 goal season in a year when Buffalo couldn't score in a brothel with a stack of Benjamins.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2021, 01:07 PM   #12222
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Could also target a team looking to move a 4M contract on the back end?

I feel like there would be a decent chance to see Valimaki come back and push his way into that top 4 role.
Then you have to make another trade, so the roster gets further depleted and/or you lose more picks. Unless you are suggesting moving Gio for that D (but then you have an expansion draft issue with the new guy).

I wonder if Dallas wants to move Klingberg. Or maybe you look at a Justin Schultz. Both will be pending UFAs after next year and maybe their teams would trade them before the season. Leddy too, though he makes a little more. Pionk is a pending RFA though I don't see Winnipeg losing him.

There's actually not a whole lot of guys producing what Gio does for a lot less money, unless they are RFAs who just signed long term deals before trending up.
Old 05-17-2021, 01:30 PM   #12223
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Then you have to make another trade, so the roster gets further depleted and/or you lose more picks. Unless you are suggesting moving Gio for that D (but then you have an expansion draft issue with the new guy).

I wonder if Dallas wants to move Klingberg. Or maybe you look at a Justin Schultz. Both will be pending UFAs after next year and maybe their teams would trade them before the season. Leddy too, though he makes a little more. Pionk is a pending RFA though I don't see Winnipeg losing him.

There's actually not a whole lot of guys producing what Gio does for a lot less money, unless they are RFAs who just signed long term deals before trending up.

Or you look at a team that would love to save $4M in cap space and you can make a deal at a discount because of cap space.

I could also see Treliving taking a run at Edler if he needs to replace Gio. There are a lot of Swedes here and ex Canucks so maybe he considers it? I think he is a lifelong Canuck though
Old 05-17-2021, 01:38 PM   #12224
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Or you look at a team that would love to save $4M in cap space and you can make a deal at a discount because of cap space.

I could also see Treliving taking a run at Edler if he needs to replace Gio. There are a lot of Swedes here and ex Canucks so maybe he considers it? I think he is a lifelong Canuck though
Edler looked like he scored just his first goal of the year last night, but didn't actually do it. He has 8 points. If you're trying to replace Gio, especially his offence, that isn't gonna cut it.

I was also trying not to ID any guys that old. You just can't trust the skill set.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2021, 01:46 PM   #12225
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Edler looked like he scored just his first goal of the year last night, but didn't actually do it. He has 8 points. If you're trying to replace Gio, especially his offence, that isn't gonna cut it.

I was also trying not to ID any guys that old. You just can't trust the skill set.
I see the top pairing being Hanifin and Tanev and whoever has played with Tanev this year has been the best Dman on the team. He is the anti-Hamonic in that fashion. Andersson is a lock on the second pair so I am looking to replace the number 4 guy not the number 1 guy. Edler for a year who is getting pushed by Valimaki is something I can live with for a season
Old 05-17-2021, 01:48 PM   #12226
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post

Tkachuk + Lindholm + Zary/Pelletier or a 1st for Eichel AND Reinhart is very reasonable, to the point of it being grossly skewed to the Flames. People seem to think Reinhart is some toss in, but he's coming off a 25 goal season in a year when Buffalo couldn't score in a brothel with a stack of Benjamins.
Rob Ray was on the FAN last week and he didn’t have a ton of great things to say about Reinhart. Basically said he is scoring well on the powerplay but nothing special 5-on-5. Specifically called him a secondary player.

I prefer the deal that just keeps Reinhart and Lindholm out altogether. That rumor monger site is the one that claimed Friedman said the Flames wanted Reinhart and combined that with the Athletic ariticle.
Old 05-17-2021, 01:50 PM   #12227
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I see the top pairing being Hanifin and Tanev and whoever has played with Tanev this year has been the best Dman on the team. He is the anti-Hamonic in that fashion. Andersson is a lock on the second pair so I am looking to replace the number 4 guy not the number 1 guy. Edler for a year who is getting pushed by Valimaki is something I can live with for a season
Hanifin and Tanev were fine, and I agree, whoever Tanev plays with is going to be solid. But they didn't produce any offence. Hanifin was a little disappointing in his offence this year, as were all the D (except Gio in the 2nd half of the season).

Maybe the forwards being upgraded means you don't need more from the D but I think you at least need some offence.
Old 05-17-2021, 02:05 PM   #12228
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As C4L has pointed out countless times, our D is already horrible in terms of offensive support and transition. Giordano is the only one who provides any offense. I guess you can hope that Andersson suddenly finds some, but going into the next season with Hanifin/ Tanev as the #1 pair is no good from an offensive perspective, plus Tanev can break any time, given his style and history...

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

Old 05-17-2021, 02:34 PM   #12229
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
As C4L has pointed out countless times, our D is already horrible in terms of offensive support and transition. Giordano is the only one who provides any offense. I guess you can hope that Andersson suddenly finds some, but going into the next season with Hanifin/ Tanev as the #1 pair is no good from an offensive perspective, plus Tanev can break any time, given his style and history...
I feel like Hanifin could turn into a 40-50pt Dman. He has multiple seasons over 30 and that is with really no powerplay time (at least the one year in Calgary where he hit 32). I also like the offensive upside of Andersson and Valimaki. Hopefully in this world Kylington gets a permanent spot.

I just would rather lose Gio to Seattle because this scenario I have come up with turns over most of the core. I wouldn’t be overly angry if they paid a small price to keep Gio but I would hate to pay a premium for that. As PepsiFree pointed out even with Gio on the team there is cap space to fill out the roster after making the priopsed Buffalo deal.
Old 05-17-2021, 02:42 PM   #12230
InternationalVillager
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The biggest thing about trading for Eichel at this point is his injury. How bad is it and what are the chances he gets back to playing at an elite level? Its a herniated disc right? That stuff is no joke. Can he even return next year? What's the timeline. Seems like this summer will be lost cuz he's probably not going to be training hard.

I would trade Tkachuk + 1st. Would not trade Zary. Give them Kylington. I don't think anyone is offering more than that for Eichel at this point given his injury status. You'd be buying him at his lowest value as a player.
Old 05-17-2021, 02:45 PM   #12231
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I feel like Hanifin could turn into a 40-50pt Dman. He has multiple seasons over 30 and that is with really no powerplay time (at least the one year in Calgary where he hit 32). I also like the offensive upside of Andersson and Valimaki. Hopefully in this world Kylington gets a permanent spot.

I just would rather lose Gio to Seattle because this scenario I have come up with turns over most of the core. I wouldn’t be overly angry if they paid a small price to keep Gio but I would hate to pay a premium for that. As PepsiFree pointed out even with Gio on the team there is cap space to fill out the roster after making the priopsed Buffalo deal.
I agree with all of that. But Hanifin just hasn't shown a lot that tells me he has 40-50 points in him. He's a great skater, and can move the puck, and this year he's turned a corner defensively. But his shot isn't great and his offensive zone instincts are on the conservative side. Maybe he's just not been let loose enough - I don't know. But Sutter isn't likely to encourage him to do so either.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2021, 02:48 PM   #12232
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any FA’s you guys want to pursue?

I know we don’t have the best history with FAs, but I would absolutely LOVE Armia on this team as our middle 6 RWer.
Old 05-17-2021, 02:50 PM   #12233
InternationalVillager
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Btw - I also think Buffalo is trying to tank for Wright or Bedard so moving Eichel fits that narrative/youth movement. They have Dylan Cozens, Casey Mittlestadt, Jack Quinn and Rasmus Dahlin. Adding a Wright or Bedard would give them some proper players at major key positions.
Old 05-17-2021, 03:01 PM   #12234
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

I know we don’t have the best history with FAs, but I would absolutely LOVE Armia on this team as our middle 6 RWer.
Yes, let Seattle take Gio and use the cap to sign McCabe plus whatever’s left goes towards a top 6 RW

UFA contracts during covid have been reasonable so I wouldn’t shy away
Old 05-17-2021, 04:05 PM   #12235
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Clearly Trelivings plan is to just sign OV this off-season to shore up our RW position.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2021, 04:26 PM   #12236
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

If we had the room at LW, I would love to sign Landeskog. Sell him on the huge Swedish contingency we have here. Sutter would love him.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2021, 04:45 PM   #12237
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Landeskog would be a pipe dream.
Hyman would be a good addition. Martinez too, if Gio is gone.
Old 05-17-2021, 07:24 PM   #12238
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InternationalVillager View Post
The biggest thing about trading for Eichel at this point is his injury. How bad is it and what are the chances he gets back to playing at an elite level? Its a herniated disc right? That stuff is no joke. Can he even return next year? What's the timeline. Seems like this summer will be lost cuz he's probably not going to be training hard.

I would trade Tkachuk + 1st. Would not trade Zary. Give them Kylington. I don't think anyone is offering more than that for Eichel at this point given his injury status. You'd be buying him at his lowest value as a player.

I have to ask because I've seen it mentioned on here, but why is Zary so highly touted here? He doesn't do anything particular great though he is solid. Things can always change but I see him on the second line in a few years. I wouldn't call him untradeable at all personally. If you have a chance to get a star, I'd deal him in a heartbeat.
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2021, 07:34 PM   #12239
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
I have to ask because I've seen it mentioned on here, but why is Zary so highly touted here? He doesn't do anything particular great though he is solid. Things can always change but I see him on the second line in a few years. I wouldn't call him untradeable at all personally. If you have a chance to get a star, I'd deal him in a heartbeat.
Stop trading away our drafted centres!

It’s been the key piece to every cup team in memory.
Old 05-17-2021, 07:38 PM   #12240
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Stop trading away our drafted centres!

It’s been the key piece to every cup team in memory.
Yeah, imagine if we ever traded Nemisz or Jankowski. If it’s for Eichel they can literally have all of our prospects.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread