Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2021, 02:02 PM   #101
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly06Cup View Post
I'm saying people should educate themselves before getting their pitchforks. This holds true for non-hockey issues as well. It's a growing concern in our society. Outrage is a hell of a drug.
There's only one conclusion.
Old 05-17-2021, 02:14 PM   #102
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Boo hoo. The Panthers aren't being punished because they traded for Luongo knowing the rules.
No, they're following the rules created to deal with obvious cases of cap circumvention while others are not held to account at all.

And spare me with the "boo hoo" comment. Talk to me like an adult.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2021, 02:25 PM   #103
InternationalVillager
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Good to see the return of the best player in the NHL. And 3 points to boot!
InternationalVillager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 06:12 PM   #104
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Forget about investigating kucherov’s injury. The nhl should find out what miracle cure was used and market the crap out of it.

“Regular Season ending injury? Take our proven Kucherov pills and then you too can affect the outcome of your first playoff game back! Amazing! Miraculous! And its NHL LTIR approved! And the best part? It doesn’t even impact your salary cap! Operators standing by! Order yours today! Also good for hangovers! No dry island required.”

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to McG For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2021, 09:16 PM   #105
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Boo hoo. The Panthers aren't being punished because they traded for Luongo knowing the rules.
Yeah, only the Canucks are allowed to get screwed.

... well, possibly the Predators. But they changed the rules to make things easier on them.

In reality, some teams can get away with murder (like Mike Richards or Marion Hossa or this) and some teams, apparently, cannot. It's extremely annoying when the playing field is not level because, for example, signing the same contract in Tampa earns you far more than it does here. But to allow these shenanigans on top of that... people are right to be mad about it.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 12:32 AM   #106
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Again I repeat. Boo hoo.

You want to lament the Canucks, Predators, Wild and friends being screwed by obvious cap circumvention with rules created after the fact, fair enough. You want to complain about Hossa’s allergies or Kucherov’s magic recovery, fair enough. None of those matter though when it comes to Florida being “punished”.

The Panthers are not being punished since they willingly traded for a goalie close to retiring knowing when he did they would be hit with a cap recapture. They have no rationale for complaining about it. They knew what they were getting into unlike those other teams. It was factored into their trade (when they got a starting goalie for some goalie prospect...)

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 05-18-2021 at 12:38 AM.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2021, 12:39 AM   #107
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
I can't believe you didn't save this for a hot take by Eric Francis.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 03:32 AM   #108
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Coach Q doesn't have a problem with it. Of course, that might have something to do with the fact that he got his last Cup by doing basically the same thing when Kane got hurt near the end of the season.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1394713044022931464

I don't currently have a subscription to The Athletic, so, if anyone wants to summarize the story, it would be appreciated.
Old 05-19-2021, 08:11 AM   #109
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

High level summary, the NHL could bar a player from playing the playoffs if they thought it was circumvention of the cap. The NHL monitored this and other LTIR situations.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 09:11 AM   #110
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

From the article,

Quote:
Secondly, there’s the NHL. If the league truly felt a team was cheating the system using long-term injury provisions in an improper way, and delayed his return because of cap reasons, the NHL could actually bar that player from playing in the playoffs.

And clearly, the league looked closely at this situation.

“Yes, we did, as well as a number of additional cases involving the use of LTI,” NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said. “We determined that the provision was invoked and applied in a consistent manner with the requirements of the CBA.’’

Finally, I reached out to Kucherov’s agent Dan Milstein.

“Initially, doctors told him the earliest (return) date was going to be around the second round of the playoffs,’’ Milstein said. “I was personally on every single Zoom call and in every meeting. I flew with him to New York for the surgery, was there with him throughout it all.

“It was a much-needed surgery. He accelerated (his return), but the initial return doctors told us was around the first week of June. It’s a six-month process.’’

“Kuch is one of those guys, if he could have been playing in March, he would have been playing in March and it would have been Julien’s problem to clear the (cap) space for him,” said Milstein. “And rest assured, I would have been calling the NHLPA. I would have been fighting to get my client back on the ice earlier if I could.’’

The fact is, Milstein remains surprised Kucherov came back in time for Game 1.

“This is truly a miracle for him to come back this soon,’’ Milstein said. “To be honest with you, I think he started playing a little bit earlier than he should have. But that’s Kuch, you can’t hold this guy back.’’

Of course this wont slow down the tin foil hatters from "knowing" better.
Old 05-19-2021, 09:19 AM   #111
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Article also quotes from GM's around the league

"Still the optics of Kucherov's return didn't sit well with a few other NHL team executives 1 texted with, none of whom wanted to be quoted for this story"
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 12:51 PM   #112
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some more questionable activities occurring at Lightning practice:

Last edited by tvp2003; 05-19-2021 at 01:18 PM.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 12:58 PM   #113
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
From the article,

Of course this wont slow down the tin foil hatters from "knowing" better.
Or people with common sense.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote