Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2021, 04:53 PM   #1
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Seattle Expansion Draft Speculation

July 21 is just over 2 months away and things can change well before then. However, found the below link where there has been some thought put into which players teams will protect and which players may be made available.

This link is focused on the central division, however there are links to the other divisions in the article.

https://soundofhockey.com/2021/02/19...cover-central/

Was hoping we might have a chance to make a deal with a good team to trade a pick for a player they may have trouble protecting, specifically a forward. However, looking at the rosters, I don't think there will be many options and doubt that we will see as many side deals as Vegas made with other teams. The one team that stands out is Tampa Bay, but given the quality of players they have available, can see them being a team making a side deal with Seattle. In the event that we could get a Palat, Gourde or Killorn from them on the cheap, that would help bolster our top 6/9. I don't see an issue exposing Backlund as his contract is probably prohibitive enough to prevent Seattle from selecting him.
The Original FFIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 05:47 PM   #2
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original FFIV View Post
July 21 is just over 2 months away and things can change well before then. However, found the below link where there has been some thought put into which players teams will protect and which players may be made available.

This link is focused on the central division, however there are links to the other divisions in the article.

https://soundofhockey.com/2021/02/19...cover-central/

Was hoping we might have a chance to make a deal with a good team to trade a pick for a player they may have trouble protecting, specifically a forward. However, looking at the rosters, I don't think there will be many options and doubt that we will see as many side deals as Vegas made with other teams. The one team that stands out is Tampa Bay, but given the quality of players they have available, can see them being a team making a side deal with Seattle. In the event that we could get a Palat, Gourde or Killorn from them on the cheap, that would help bolster our top 6/9. I don't see an issue exposing Backlund as his contract is probably prohibitive enough to prevent Seattle from selecting him.

So the Bolts trade one for a pick and lose another anyway. They may as well bite the bullet and lose one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 05:52 PM   #3
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Seattle Expansion Draft Speculation

Lol, they have Chicago protecting Seabrook because of his NMC.

I wonder if he will waive it since he’s on permanent LTIR?

Edit. Just saw the article is 3 months old, so hopelessly out of date.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by The Cobra; 05-16-2021 at 06:17 PM.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 07:36 PM   #4
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Flames have to protect Tanev, which means they will expose Giordano if I’m not mistaken. Raz, Hanifin and Tanev will be the 3 D.

Johnny, Monahan, Tkachuk, Mang, Dube, Lindholm, and Backlund will be the 7 F.
Bourque's Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bourque's Twin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2021, 08:01 PM   #5
Iggy Snipe
Powerplay Quarterback

Location: Pengrowth Saddledome, Section 222, Row 23, Seat 14/15
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourque's Twin View Post
The Flames have to protect Tanev, which means they will expose Giordano if I’m not mistaken. Raz, Hanifin and Tanev will be the 3 D.

Johnny, Monahan, Tkachuk, Mang, Dube, Lindholm, and Backlund will be the 7 F.
Thats bang on what I would do.

Fingers crossed Seattle wants GIO. Calgary needs new leadership. I also think Milan Lucic could possibly be taken, as he had a very impactful year. Seattle will be looking for a strong leader, and in my opinion Milan is way more qualified to be a captain than GIO.

If Milan stays with Calgary, and GIO gets picked, my vote is Lucic is named Captain.
Iggy Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 08:08 PM   #6
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy Snipe View Post

Fingers crossed Seattle wants GIO. Calgary needs new leadership. I also think Milan Lucic could possibly be taken, as he had a very impactful year. Seattle will be looking for a strong leader, and in my opinion Milan is way more qualified to be a captain than GIO.

If Milan stays with Calgary, and GIO gets picked, my vote is Lucic is named Captain.
Oh I hope not. He tries which is great, as well he’s well liked, but you really need a guy who has more ice time in scoring situations as the captain. The days of Weimer types as captains seems long done.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 08:14 PM   #7
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Gio goes the obvious captain is Tanev
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2021, 08:15 PM   #8
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah. I’d be in favour of Tanev personally. Skilled, smart, calm. Fits the boxes.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 08:17 PM   #9
Iggy Snipe
Powerplay Quarterback

Location: Pengrowth Saddledome, Section 222, Row 23, Seat 14/15
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I would be good with that as well. Tanev is another great example of a replacement option.

I just said Lucic because he has won a cup and is a warrior.

He is still effective on the forecheck, and can play 12-14 minutes a night.
Iggy Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 08:19 PM   #10
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tanev seems like a quiet person though. Leads by example, but I wonder how vocal he is.
Old 05-22-2021, 09:08 PM   #11
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if Lindy could be Captain material.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 09:27 PM   #12
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Of the players on the current roster giordano or lucic are the only guys I think could fill the role of captain. The flames have a lot of followers. It’s honestly the main reason this group never goes anywhere. Lack of leadership.

That’s why sutter was brought in I would guess. I’m betting any players brought in this offseason will have leadership qualities over anything else.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 10:55 PM   #13
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
I wonder if Lindy could be Captain material.
I was thinking the same thing. He plays in all situations and seems pretty emotionally invested. I think he would be a good captain. Backlund would be a good pick as well IMO.

Lucic is a good leader, but I don't know if he gets enough ice-time to be the most effective captain. I'd give him an A though.
Old 05-22-2021, 10:59 PM   #14
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would it be crazy for the Flames to offer up Backlund in an effort to protect Giordano?

I’d be pretty happy if they did that.

If we want to change the culture of the team I think doing something like protecting Lucic - because he’s earned it - would send a pretty strong message.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 11:07 PM   #15
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

As long as they don’t spend the future on protecting old players.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2021, 10:37 AM   #16
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Would it be crazy for the Flames to offer up Backlund in an effort to protect Giordano?

I’d be pretty happy if they did that.

If we want to change the culture of the team I think doing something like protecting Lucic - because he’s earned it - would send a pretty strong message.
I was wondering the same thing. I'd rather keep Gio, deal him at the deadline for some picks, then you can re-sign him for a cheaper contract in the off season. Gives the team some picks and also gives him the chance at a Cup.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 10:43 AM   #17
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy Snipe View Post

Lucic’s best role is a 4th liner…dude doesn’t fight former teammates mean he is useless against the Oilers. That’s a big no.
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 11:02 AM   #18
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some interesting players will be available. I wonder if they take one of those Nashville centers. They could get Palat or Killorn.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 11:05 AM   #19
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Honestly I can't see why they wouldn't take Gio as the risk is very low given his contract. He's still a capable top 4 defenseman and leadership material. Could be their first captain and if he has a good season they could extend him on a year to year basis.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 11:09 AM   #20
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Honestly I can't see why they wouldn't take Gio as the risk is very low given his contract. He's still a capable top 4 defenseman and leadership material. Could be their first captain and if he has a good season they could extend him on a year to year basis.
Midway thru the season I would have said they would not take him. Now I think they would. Still a good defenceman, a name for the fans to notice, tradable for picks in his last year of the current contract. Lots of teams would give up pretty good assets for Gio if they have the cap space and are looking to contend. As long as his skills don’t evaporate.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote