Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2023, 12:28 PM   #2061
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
Always warms my heart that they charge GST on the duty
It is a service from your government to charge you money
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 12:42 PM   #2062
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haven’t received them yet but I’ve ordered two smart watches/fitness trackers for my wife and me. I got tired of replacing Fit Bits (two in 28 months) so I’ve moved over to Vital Fit Track, which rated #1 in the topconsumerguide.com I read. Apple Watch was second but well behind in the rating. I bought two Vitals for half the price of one Apple Watch.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 12:48 PM   #2063
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Haven’t received them yet but I’ve ordered two smart watches/fitness trackers for my wife and me. I got tired of replacing Fit Bits (two in 28 months) so I’ve moved over to Vital Fit Track, which rated #1 in the topconsumerguide.com I read. Apple Watch was second but well behind in the rating. I bought two Vitals for half the price of one Apple Watch.
Personally I don't go by acquisition price. I go by "cost per use".

If I buy a $300 watch/tracker and use it 300 days. Cost per use $1 per day. If the Apple watches last twice as long, then effectively it's cheaper than the other options and it's not including the potential increases in benefits and features the others might not have. In my experience, Apple products often get to the point of obsolescence or user destruction vs failure though.

Let us know about the vitals to see if they're a viable competitor vs Apple though.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 12:53 PM   #2064
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Random question:

For those that acquire luxury watches without papers, do you do anything specific to affirm authenticity of the item (ie: Find someone with expertise to investigate the item)?

Or do you go purely based on the perceived trustworthiness of the authenticity claims of the seller after a rudimentary self verification?

I'm leaning towards the latter. It's what I had done for private sales in the past.

I just wouldn't mind if my approach is adequate or if I should really do a little more to protect myself from getting scammed (mainly certain online sites or private sales with people I've never met before).
Old 10-04-2023, 01:04 PM   #2065
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Personally I don't go by acquisition price. I go by "cost per use".

If I buy a $300 watch/tracker and use it 300 days. Cost per use $1 per day. If the Apple watches last twice as long, then effectively it's cheaper than the other options and it's not including the potential increases in benefits and features the others might not have. In my experience, Apple products often get to the point of obsolescence or user destruction vs failure though.

Let us know about the vitals to see if they're a viable competitor vs Apple though.
The review of the Vital was excellent. I’d be happy to report back but I expect our Vitals to last for years after which time I’m sure I’ll forget.
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2023, 01:06 PM   #2066
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You have to be careful randomly trusting sites on the internet for reviews. Like, that one is clearly doing it for the referral link. Hell, they even say so, which is unusual for such honesty:
https://topconsumerguide.com/contact.php

They have 3 categories of product reviews. That's it. I'm not saying the thing is junk, but you can't trust the review at all.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 01:42 PM   #2067
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The review of the Vital was excellent. I’d be happy to report back but I expect our Vitals to last for years after which time I’m sure I’ll forget.
I hope that's the case for you.

I tried a few different options after my jawbone was discontinued (insanely good value), many touted great value vs more expensive options, but in the end... it cost me more money than if I had just gone with a $300 Apple watch SE right from the get go. Probably would have saved me a ton of time and grief as well.

I ended up with a used Apple watch SE for closer to $200 (someone upgraded) and that has lasted me longer than all of the other things I've tried combined, cost me more than $200 over the 26 months I experimented, lasted less than 26 months that I've personally used the watch AND has more features (find iPhone, apps, notifications etc.), phone integration for iPhones and better interface. This isn't including the fact the previous owner used it for a little over a year before selling to me and the unit is still going strong.

Fitbit, Suunto (technically still works great, just lacks features), random China brands, Vivofit, Samsung gear etc. are things I tried.

If it's battery life that's a back breaker, other than Apple watch, I think the only other activity trackers I'd look into are Garmin or very specific tactical/durable activity trackers. But personally, I'm potentially looking into getting my analog watches back into rotation vs going deeper into the activity tracker hole.
Old 10-04-2023, 01:46 PM   #2068
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Vital wasn’t expensive. Maybe that’s a red flag; I’ll see. If it doesn’t last, maybe it’s Apple or Garmin.
Old 10-04-2023, 02:40 PM   #2069
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Random question:

For those that acquire luxury watches without papers, do you do anything specific to affirm authenticity of the item (ie: Find someone with expertise to investigate the item)?

Or do you go purely based on the perceived trustworthiness of the authenticity claims of the seller after a rudimentary self verification?

I'm leaning towards the latter. It's what I had done for private sales in the past.

I just wouldn't mind if my approach is adequate or if I should really do a little more to protect myself from getting scammed (mainly certain online sites or private sales with people I've never met before).
Checking your seller's reviews is important, and in the case of Chrono24 you want to make sure they use the trusted seller escrow check-out is important too.

For authenticity, the crappy thing is that the warranty cards, and presentation boxes can be faked, so they don't necessarily guarantee you're getting a legit item. Of the three watches I've purchased from Chrono24, they all had things that ensured that I could trust it was the real deal, either the fact that no one bothered to fake them because the demand for that particular model wasn't high enough (my 38mm Breitling SOH), they had display backs at a time when fake artists weren't really good at faking movements with decorative finishing plates (it's borderline terrifying now), or the movement couldn't be replicated in such a way that the watch date window and / or subdials were in the correct position relative to the genuine article.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2023, 10:02 AM   #2070
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Duty is only 5% on watches manufactured outside of a CUSMA country, which is quite low. The CBSA duty and tax calculator works really well, it was spot on: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-v...t-cal-eng.html
So if I purchase a luxury watch on an oversea trip I will only be charged 5% + 5% when I bring it back to Canada?

That will be a very good deal if I were to get a watch in duty free shops or in Europe where they will refund you the VAT.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lazypucker For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2023, 10:31 AM   #2071
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
So if I purchase a luxury watch on an oversea trip I will only be charged 5% + 5% when I bring it back to Canada?

That will be a very good deal if I were to get a watch in duty free shops or in Europe where they will refund you the VAT.
I'm not sure if certain duty free items from an airport in Europe will actually have even more favorable tax rates due to trade agreements with those countries and Canada. If you buy something duty free, you have to declare it, but when asked to pay, ask if there's a difference in rate if purchased in a duty free store vs a random store in the specific country.

I don't know about now, but I recall getting a very annoyed and snarky remark from a CBSA agent about how I wasted his time by declaring a duty free good acquired from CUSMA countries. One look at the duty free bag and a response of "yes" from a question of, "That's what you declared?" and he told me to go through and not waste his time.

People lying on duty declarations... the risk isn't even worth it.

Oddly enough, the last time I was so ready to declare duties on our way back into Canada and pay what was fair for duties and taxes... somehow there was no question about it. Typically our entire family returns to Canada with like $100-200 in souvenirs and other random things and never exceed the limit.

Also, if you leave Canada with a luxury watch and you don't have the receipt on you at all times/can't easily look it up, definitely consider registering it via the identification service at the CBSA office (free). It'll save a bunch of time and headache if you have a specific good that the CBSA officers love inquiring about.

Last edited by DoubleF; 10-05-2023 at 10:33 AM.
Old 10-05-2023, 01:38 PM   #2072
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Often duty frees in European and Asian airports have products that you won't have access to in Canada without building a buying history or a long wait, like Rolex and Hermes. Because airport duty free shops have no waitlist you may luck out some time. Knowing the duty and tax rates at CBSA will certainly influence buying decisions.
Old 10-05-2023, 03:09 PM   #2073
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
Often duty frees in European and Asian airports have products that you won't have access to in Canada without building a buying history or a long wait, like Rolex and Hermes. Because airport duty free shops have no waitlist you may luck out some time. Knowing the duty and tax rates at CBSA will certainly influence buying decisions.
You would have to win the lottery to find a men's sports Rolex in an airport shop in this day and age. That would be like the dream you had where you wake up and realize it was only a dream.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 03:53 PM   #2074
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I know this is more of a classy watch group, but does anyone recommend a smart watch or two that:
- is low profile (not super important, but haven't worn a watch in 15+ years)
- health stats and tracking
- golf app with gps for hole layouts
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 04:15 PM   #2075
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
You would have to win the lottery to find a men's sports Rolex in an airport shop in this day and age. That would be like the dream you had where you wake up and realize it was only a dream.
Maybe in the airport shops, but many stores throughout Europe routinely at least have some stock... Sure, you're not walking out with a stainless Daytona, but it's not unheard of to pick up a Sub, Yachtmaster, etc... And you can still reclaim the VAT at the airport.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 05:07 PM   #2076
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSXCman View Post
I know this is more of a classy watch group, but does anyone recommend a smart watch or two that:
- is low profile (not super important, but haven't worn a watch in 15+ years)
- health stats and tracking
- golf app with gps for hole layouts
The greatest challenge is the last requirement. Anything with a built in GPS and golf app will not be low profile and it'll be pricey as well. I know you said the low profile is not important, but I do want to warn you there is a high likelihood it'll be big, like strapping a peppermint patty on your wrist with a hell of a price tag.

TBH, I'd probably say Garmin is the one that you want to look at.

https://www.garmin.com/en-CA/c/sport...hopgolfdevices

$700-1500 on average for the good stuff as I assume you aren't interested in the windows 98 looking stuff in the $200-500 range. Many of the other brands I think are competing in that $200-500 Garmin range.

Lower profile, I think there's options. Tag is probably one there, but you're probably looking at $3K+

https://www.tagheuer.com/ca/en/smartwatches/golf.html

Heads up, don't forget to look up ways to drop that price via other methods.
- Credit card with introductory cash back rate of 5%
- Bonus points (ie: Triangle rewards should have some, Optimum if possible)
- Bonus redemption (ie: Shoppers... if it has it)
Old 10-05-2023, 05:35 PM   #2077
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

If your credit card has a 'Monthly payment' option for large purchases, you might be able to use that to reduce your interest exposure too. Just don't rely on it being there, I have never had a technically qualifying purchase ever show up as eligible.
Old 10-05-2023, 06:28 PM   #2078
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I don't wear it tight.

I've been reading some amazon reviews of my watch and lo and behold, people have complained about the same thing saying its a fantastic watch, but the steel bracelet detaches. Most people changed to NATO or other strap.

Likely, I'll go down this path and replace the strap.

Then one day buy a big boy diver like a Seamaster with a steel band, although a green face Sub would be the dream.
Just scrolled back to this... the Seamaster 300M's bracelet is pretty awful in design. It's comfortable and it has a quick adjust but it's just thick, chunky, looks like the 90s, has no taper, and is too big. Its unfortunate paying so much for a watch and having a key component of it not fitting with you.

Currently looking at aftermarket bracelets that taper like the following but it's hard to pick one.

https://forstnerbands.com/collection...mega-seamaster

https://unclestraps.com/collections/...seamaster-300m

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 10-05-2023 at 06:32 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
DFO
Old 10-05-2023, 11:09 PM   #2079
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Omega bracelets in general have been pretty bad.
I have an uncle bracelet on my Speedy as well; though the new gen bracelet has finally improved.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 11:25 PM   #2080
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Just scrolled back to this... the Seamaster 300M's bracelet is pretty awful in design. It's comfortable and it has a quick adjust but it's just thick, chunky, looks like the 90s, has no taper, and is too big. Its unfortunate paying so much for a watch and having a key component of it not fitting with you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Omega bracelets in general have been pretty bad.
I think you're both nuts.

The Seamaster Professional 300M's bracelet looks like the 90s because, well, the Seamaster Professional 300M still largely looks like an updated version of the 90s 'Bond watch'. I love the SMP 300M's bracelet.

Funnily, the bracelet on my Speedmaster Professional 3572.50 looks quite similar to the Uncle Straps bracelet Hack&Lube linked. Same narrow taper, but with the nicer looking Omega pressure clasp and slightly fatter link segments.

I will say I wish their bracelets all had their own version of the Rolex Glidelock micro-adjustment clasp. I freakin' love that thing, I can get the bracelet size dialed in perfectly every time.