Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Pick the best prospect from the following
Connor Mackey 141 49.13%
Dustin Wolf 146 50.87%
Voters: 287. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-23-2020, 11:55 AM   #41
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mackey is being overrated here IMO. If he was a Flames draft pick with a similar development curve he's not in the top 5 I think
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2020, 12:06 PM   #42
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Mackey is being overrated here IMO. If he was a Flames draft pick with a similar development curve he's not in the top 5 I think
24 isn’t super old for a D man prospect. Hanifin, Rasmus, Kylington, Yelesin all similar ages and I don’t think of them are done developing either

Ideally he isn’t a top 5 prospect but we’ve been trading picks away like crazy (Bad thing) and graduating all of our actual top prospects (good thing)
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 12:26 PM   #43
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
The guy who has starting goalie potential, later.
Parsons?
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 12:27 PM   #44
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Parsons?
I like Parsons the person/ story, but Parsons the player will need a miraculous turn around at this point to see some starts at NHL level in his career.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 12:30 PM   #45
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I like Parsons the person/ story, but Parsons the player will need a miraculous turn around at this point to see some starts at NHL level in his career.
He is 23, which is prepubescent for goalies. He is still a very legitimate prospect.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 12:31 PM   #46
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
He is 23, which is prepubescent for goalies. He is still a very legitimate prospect.
He's still a prospect, and in no way did I say he doesn't have a chance, but it would be a pretty spectacular reversal.
Old 10-23-2020, 12:31 PM   #47
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Parsons?
Right...the other younger guy.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 12:32 PM   #48
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

Parsons looked better than Wolf ever has against his age group. Wolf plays for one of the best defensive teams in the entire CHL and looked underwhelming for the United States when he played against top level youth. Knowing that goalies have a much larger adjustment needed for pro hockey than skaters makes me reluctant to even put Wolf in the top 10. I will be rooting hard for Wolf during his career because I have a soft spot for the undersized goalie.

Mackey is 24 so the only justification for voting him this early is if you put more emphasis on NHL readiness and higher 'floors.'

Phillips, Pettersen and Poirier are all vastly more talented hockey players than these two.
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 12:32 PM   #49
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think you realize how goalies develop. Parsons has all the tools to be a starting NHL goalie but injuries have set his timeline back a bit. Most goalies are not showing their actual potential until after their mid twenties. Look at our current new starter as a prime example.
Old 10-23-2020, 12:35 PM   #50
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think you realize how goalies develop. Parsons has all the tools to be a starting NHL goalie but injuries have set his timeline back a bit. Most goalies are not showing their actual potential until after their mid twenties. Look at our current new starter as a prime example.
Name a goalie that's been an NHL starter and go see how many games they played/ how they performed stat wise in the ECHL. I understand goalies take longer to develop, and I also understand Parsons' injury history... but his performance while uninjured is what I am criticizing. This year will tell us a lot.
Old 10-23-2020, 12:40 PM   #51
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Connor, It's Mess View Post
Parsons looked better than Wolf ever has against his age group. Wolf plays for one of the best defensive teams in the entire CHL and looked underwhelming for the United States when he played against top level youth. Knowing that goalies have a much larger adjustment needed for pro hockey than skaters makes me reluctant to even put Wolf in the top 10. I will be rooting hard for Wolf during his career because I have a soft spot for the undersized goalie.

Mackey is 24 so the only justification for voting him this early is if you put more emphasis on NHL readiness and higher 'floors.'

Phillips, Pettersen and Poirier are all vastly more talented hockey players than these two.
Parsons had big stage performance, but objectively i don't think you can say performed better than wolf against his age peers: look at the hardware/ awards difference.
Old 10-23-2020, 12:42 PM   #52
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like both guys but I'm no longer voting for a goalie in the top 10 until they prove it in the pros
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2020, 12:42 PM   #53
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Parsons had big stage performance, but objectively i don't think you can say performed better than wolf against his age peers: look at the hardware/ awards difference.
But that one game he played for the US against his peers tells us a lot....
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 12:46 PM   #54
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn’t have voted for Wolf till #6 or #7. Goalies are always hard to predict. I remember when we were all excited by Gillis, Parson etc.
agulati is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 12:47 PM   #55
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I like Wolf, but comparing them at the same age, Parsons looked like a far higher-end prospect in so many regards. I'm not even someone who thinks size a big deal, but Parsons was legitimately flashing star NHLer talent up until he officially entered our organization. His 2017 playoffs for London, he was his whole team, and they didn't play a tight system the way Wolf's does, either.

But entering the organization seems to be the nail in the coffin for a goalie prospect.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 12:52 PM   #56
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You obviously did not see much of that last Knights team he single handily dragged into the playoffs.
Old 10-23-2020, 12:52 PM   #57
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
That's where you are going wrong. One can't compare the development curve of a drafted prospect with a 24 year old college free agent.

I would compare him with these types of guys
Dan Dekeyser - signed as a 23 year old and has been a solid NHler
Brendan Dillon (598 games)
Andy Greene (933 games)
Nick Holden (496 games)
Torey Krug (523 games - but has far more offensive skills)
Nate Schmidt (396 games).
Chris Tanev (514 games)

Though the Flames haven't had a ton of luck with these type of signings, we should remember that Mackey was the consensus top college free agent, and has a much better pedigree that your Brad Lambs, BVBs, etc that have been signed before by this club.

Are we over-rating or under-rating him? Beats me. If we are being honest - none of us know him well enough to guess.
But there is a track record of being able to sign meaningful NHL dmen in this way.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2020, 12:53 PM   #58
serratedmuffin
Backup Goalie

Exp:

My post from original round 4:

Wolf. To compare to the lead stats compared to the other leagues last year, where I compare Wolf's stats compared to the highest numbers in the other leagues, not just the best goalie but whatever the highest stat in the league (min. 12 games played)

Wolf: 9 SO, 1.88 GAA, .935 SAV%

OHL: 5 SO, 2.40 GAA, .924SAV%

QMJHL: 6 SO, 2.25 GAA, .925SAV%

So if you took the best stats from each other league and put it into a goalie, they would still be worse than Wolf. There is something to be said for team play, scoring levels, etc, but there is nothing more Wolf could have done this year to prove himself. His ceiling is unlimited, but with goalies who knows if he gets there...but Wolf is the pick here.
Old 10-23-2020, 12:56 PM   #59
King Theo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

lol This will still be close. My vote just gave MacKey the 1 vote lead.
King Theo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 01:02 PM   #60
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You obviously did not see much of that last Knights team he single handily dragged into the playoffs.
Which one? The one with Tkachuk-Dvorak-Marner- Juloevi? Or the next year with Cliff Pu-Robert Thomas- Evan Bouchard- Juloevi and young Connor McMichael?

He wasn't alone during either of those.