Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2020, 03:28 PM   #6881
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm guessing he gets fired. But I wouldn't be shocked if you ended up being right, I guess.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 10-20-2020, 03:31 PM   #6882
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just can't see a firing unless more details come to light (i.e. actual intimidation rather than just the mask). In this climate a suspension is sufficient.
Old 10-20-2020, 03:33 PM   #6883
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
A criminal offense for wearing a mask that advertises his political leaning?
Come on now.
It's almost always against regulation to add any markings to your uniform that display a loyalty outside that uniform. That goes for pretty much every uniform. You probably couldn't get away with that mask at a McDonalds.

For law enforcement officers that's literally a crime in quite a lot of places, although don't know about Florida specifically. Pride pins have often been considered too political.

Showing up in uniform and armed at a polling station with a message that specifically takes a stand on that election?

Very likely a crime, and possibly very close to his last day on the job.

Uniforms are serious business.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2020, 03:39 PM   #6884
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

Meanwhile per Elect Project over 35.5 million people have already voted. The number is actually probably much higher; there is a bit of lag (understandable) between the votes being recorded at the state level and recorded here:

https://electproject.github.io/Early...20G/index.html

It is a bit dangerous to draw too many conclusions even from the party ID of voters, as frequently they don’t track vote choice all that closely. But if polls are any indication a huge proportion of those voting early are democrats this year with a Republican Tsunami expected on Election Day. The question is whether enthusiasm becomes so high that an E-Day comeback is no longer possible.

With that in mind it’s a little bit instructive to look at total turnout as a percentage of the 2016 electorate. In the US overall, that number crossed 25% today. In Texas it’s over 52%, and in Harris County (a district Beto O’Rourke won by 17 points in 2018) the early vote is on pace to exceed the TOTAL votes cast in 2016.

None of which is to say Biden will win Texas, but there are some reasons to think it’s a softer target for him than a place like Ohio, simply because there are actually relatively fewer rural voters in Texas. The rural districts are huge and Trump will win all of them by huge margins, but there are not that many voters there. He won in 2016 partly because he also won suburban districts—if those districts are turning on him, and if turnout soars in urban counties like Harris.... you can see how a narrow Biden victory COULD happen.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Iowa_Flames_Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2020, 03:40 PM   #6885
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
With all due respect, I doubt it.
Respectfully, you're wrong. I've previously volunteered for a political candidate. We were instructed over and over again that it was illegal for any partisan activity to take place within X meters (I don't remember the exact distance) of the polling location. I took that very seriously, even going so far as to choose the clothes I wore that day such that they didn't have the colours of any of the political parties.

If I, a mere volunteer ballot scrutineer, took those rules seriously, then you damn well better believe I expect armed officers who have sworn an oath to uphold the law to do the same. I don't care what party/candidate they support.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2020, 03:42 PM   #6886
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
The cop didn't take that photo for private use. The photo was taken by a voter while the cop was on duty at a polling station.
Oh shoot, I didn't even read the caption.

Yeah, I would say that is voter intimidation. Perhaps not intentional.

I am going to say maybe he lacks the self-awareness and and sensitivity to understand that some people do fear the police and might avoid voting because of that statement. Some people are just plain dumb, especially Trump supporters.

I am probably giving him more benefit of the doubt than he deserves though.
Old 10-20-2020, 03:57 PM   #6887
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm gonna give Trump the benefit of the doubt and assume he shat himself rather than ran away from the interview.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1318645998739214336
Old 10-20-2020, 04:04 PM   #6888
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I'm gonna give Trump the benefit of the doubt and assume he shat himself rather than ran away from the interview.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1318645998739214336

thanks for that laugh. I needed it today. I wouldn’t doubt it if that was exactly right!
Old 10-20-2020, 04:16 PM   #6889
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Doesn't bode well... So the police union will... Suspend him, with pay?
What’s important is that this gets discouraged by the proper local authorities prior to November 3.
Old 10-20-2020, 04:17 PM   #6890
Chonger
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Has anyone tried to join or sign up for the Trump army through that website?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2020, 04:21 PM   #6891
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I figure this cop will be in the audience at the next debate now.
Old 10-20-2020, 04:26 PM   #6892
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darockwilder View Post
I figure this cop will be in the audience at the next debate now.
Im sure Trump will bring it up at one of his rallies if the officer is suspended, and say how his supporters are being treated so unfairly.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2020, 04:27 PM   #6893
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trump is threatening to release the 60 minutes taping before airtime. Someone is upset they got asked some really unfair questions by the fake news media.
Old 10-20-2020, 04:34 PM   #6894
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who is that guy whose job it is to carry briefcase around that has all the nuclear codes?

Is he sick in the head enough to actually do it? A manufactured crisis is probably the only thing that can win him the election now. Everyone loves a war time president.

Even if he lost, it would put Biden in the position of extraditing him to face war crimes. Presidents just never do this. George Bush should have been. Trump probably should have from that Iranian guy he had assassinated. You can add Tony Blair to the list.

Although realistically, Western Nations always seem escape no matter what bad crap we do.
Old 10-20-2020, 04:37 PM   #6895
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Respectfully, you're wrong. I've previously volunteered for a political candidate. We were instructed over and over again that it was illegal for any partisan activity to take place within X meters (I don't remember the exact distance) of the polling location. I took that very seriously, even going so far as to choose the clothes I wore that day such that they didn't have the colours of any of the political parties.

If I, a mere volunteer ballot scrutineer, took those rules seriously, then you damn well better believe I expect armed officers who have sworn an oath to uphold the law to do the same. I don't care what party/candidate they support.
There is a difference between 'illegal' and 'criminal'.

We shall see if criminal charges are brought against him. I seriously doubt it, but we shall see.
Old 10-20-2020, 04:38 PM   #6896
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:

Yes, same with working at the polling station.

Old 10-20-2020, 04:38 PM   #6897
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

One important thing to look at is that high early voter turnout relative to historical levels or the other party is a sign of enthusiasm rather than of support. It does tend to Cannibalize your votes on Election Day. It’s still a good thing as enthusiasm is what drives turnout and turnout is what wins elections. It’s just more subtle then saying Dems are up by x points in early voting.
Old 10-20-2020, 04:39 PM   #6898
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Interesting to see what happened in the Trump interview. Trump has done a lot of interviews, some I've posted here, and he's been ok in most of them.

The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2020, 04:49 PM   #6899
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
It's almost always against regulation to add any markings to your uniform that display a loyalty outside that uniform. That goes for pretty much every uniform. You probably couldn't get away with that mask at a McDonalds.

For law enforcement officers that's literally a crime in quite a lot of places, although don't know about Florida specifically. Pride pins have often been considered too political.

Showing up in uniform and armed at a polling station with a message that specifically takes a stand on that election?

Very likely a crime, and possibly very close to his last day on the job.

Uniforms are serious business.
Wearing partisan clothing is illegal.

Intimidation would be a crime.

I know that some of you think that simply wearing the mask is intimidation. I think that would be extremely difficult to make stick. Unless the police officer actually did anything that could be construed as intimidation, I don't see him being charged with a crime.
Old 10-20-2020, 04:51 PM   #6900
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Could the Trump campaign's attacks on Hunter Biden be to take the heat of something else? Trump is a big projectionist, so maybe he's covering up for this?

https://www.thedailybeast.com/theres...s-ivanka-trump
Closed Thread