Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2020, 04:15 PM   #6621
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
Wow, not sure what orifice this was pulled from, maybe based on an Alberta view, certainly not what I see or hear from my age group! Most seniors prefer a left leaning or centrist government to right, in Conservative Alberta that is likely different, but slowly changing.
I live in the US where many seniors spend their time watching Fox News, and believing every god damn word of it.

So I’m fine with younger voters getting a leg up on those choosing to live in a pro Trump, pro gun, anti science, xenophobic Dumb####istan.

And on the similarly attuned evangelicals.

Call me crazy.

(Good for your seniors being non-conservatives btw)

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Old 10-16-2020, 05:24 PM   #6622
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post

The problem is they draw in older viewers by appealing to their most base values. Then they start pouring on the propaganda and scare tactics that hit these people right in the amygdala, scaring the #### out of them and flooding their brain with cortisol and adrenaline. This is called amygdala hijacking and is how you quickly brainwash someone. Cortisol is addictive, and once hooked it changes your brain chemistry and turns you into an emotional mess. Worse, it affects your health as it prevents you from getting sleep, gives you cravings for things that are bad for you, and breaks down your immune system. So when you look at your father and see a bit of a raving loon, it is because of his brain being flooded with cortisol. Don't worry, this can all be easily reverse. Cancel his cable TV subscription and get him reading more, exercising that grey matter, and he will return to his normal self.
He's always been prone to fascism, so this is more just buying in all the way instead of flirting with it. He doesn't vote and no one in the family except me speaks to him, so he's really not hurting anyone but himself.
Old 10-16-2020, 05:57 PM   #6623
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 10-16-2020, 06:01 PM   #6624
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
Posted two pages ago, amigo.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:06 PM   #6625
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:
Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
People are staying at home later now because those old people voted in politicians that made it harder and harder to leave lol.
I agree that it is a significant factor. I think there are lot that just want to save their money and it has become more socially acceptable. It used to be that only weirdos would not move out the moment they could. That stigma isn’t there anymore, and partly because of the rental market in larger cities.

To be fair though, a lot of the policies that led to hyper inflation of the rental and real estate markets in Canada are due to liberal policies. There were positive tradeoffs to those policies of course.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 10-16-2020 at 07:49 PM.
Old 10-16-2020, 08:05 PM   #6626
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I agree that it is a significant factor. I think there are lot that just want to save their money and it has become more socially acceptable. It used to be that only weirdos would not move out the moment they could. That stigma isn’t there anymore, and partly because of the rental market in larger cities.

To be fair though, a lot of the policies that led to hyper inflation of the rental and real estate markets in Canada are due to liberal policies. There were positive tradeoffs to those policies of course.
Independent of political leaning, devising creative financing mechanisms to generate wealth and transfer from future generations to a smaller portion of the population?

I have no complaints about the amount of money I have made but retirement is nowhere in sight.

Doesn’t help that while real estate continued to escalate elsewhere, Calgary real estate has been essentially flat for the last decade
Old 10-16-2020, 08:15 PM   #6627
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trump was projecting again tonight in his rally in Georgia... Accusing Biden of calling up corporations for large donations in return for favours, then saying it's so easy that he should do it himself because he'd never get caught...
Old 10-16-2020, 08:40 PM   #6628
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

One their best ads.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1317195767036186625
Old 10-16-2020, 08:55 PM   #6629
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob-loblaw View Post
I agree I have 3 girls and this ad really hit home
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2020, 09:16 PM   #6630
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah that ad is amazing. How can any parent of a daughter vote for that monster
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2020, 09:21 PM   #6631
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob-loblaw View Post
Yeah. I don't have any kids and the beginning of this ad is just too much.
Old 10-16-2020, 09:47 PM   #6632
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
For sure, I’m just pointing out the hypocrisy of not wanting an age limit but being in favour of an age minimum based on zero evidence except old people don’t trust young people.
Well, stop eating Tide Pods then.

I kid, but I think you have to draw an arbitrary line somewhere.

We have things like age of consent laws, drinking ages, driver's licensing laws, separate legal procedures for minors, guardianship, etc..., because there is an age that we recognize that young people need protection from things that have long term consequences of their actions. The exact age where the over/under for eating Tide Pods is favourable enough to declare someone an adult varies.

Just speaking from personal experience, but I believe I was probably the sharpest mentally in my 20s. But at the same time, I probably made some of the worst life decisions I could have. I have known some really intelligent people who couldn't manage their life for some reason, but there is a big difference between being intelligent and being informed. I also know that there are 17 year olds that would make a good argument for lowering the voting age, as well as other age restrictive rules and laws.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 10-16-2020 at 09:53 PM.
Old 10-16-2020, 09:48 PM   #6633
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Michael Moore discusses the planned kidnapping in his home state.

Old 10-16-2020, 10:01 PM   #6634
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Michael Moore does not look well at all.
Old 10-16-2020, 10:11 PM   #6635
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Michael Moore does not look well at all.
I was just thinking about how quickly he seemed to age, but then I looked it up and he is 66 years old. I had no idea he was technically a senior citizen now.
Old 10-16-2020, 11:12 PM   #6636
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Noam Chomsky debates a couple of progressives in this video who are recommending things I've seen on CP from a segment of the progressives here such as using their votes as leverage to invoke change to the system by not voting for Biden for example.

Old 10-16-2020, 11:32 PM   #6637
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chomsky is still sharp as a tack at 91.
Old 10-17-2020, 12:24 AM   #6638
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Chomsky is still sharp as a tack at 91.
Not only is he still sharp, he is crazy patient for a guy whose days are fewer and fewer. That podcast was painful to listen to and the hosts were just being ridiculously pig-headed.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
Old 10-17-2020, 12:53 AM   #6639
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Well, stop eating Tide Pods then.

I kid, but I think you have to draw an arbitrary line somewhere.

We have things like age of consent laws, drinking ages, driver's licensing laws, separate legal procedures for minors, guardianship, etc..., because there is an age that we recognize that young people need protection from things that have long term consequences of their actions. The exact age where the over/under for eating Tide Pods is favourable enough to declare someone an adult varies.

Just speaking from personal experience, but I believe I was probably the sharpest mentally in my 20s. But at the same time, I probably made some of the worst life decisions I could have. I have known some really intelligent people who couldn't manage their life for some reason, but there is a big difference between being intelligent and being informed. I also know that there are 17 year olds that would make a good argument for lowering the voting age, as well as other age restrictive rules and laws.
Sure. But none of that addresses why we don’t place age limits on those things too. Well maybe it does unintentionally.

The points is that if you can restrict one groups rights arbitrarily for the good of society, you can do it to another group too. One that is far more dangerous to our future than kids eating tide pods.
Old 10-17-2020, 10:25 AM   #6640
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

A great article on the Trump media effect and that the media actually works for Trump rather than against him.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/arti...eral-news.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread