Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-25-2020, 12:07 PM   #141
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Phillips has a real shot. It might (probably does) take another year, but I think his tenacity will get him there.

I am not worried about his size because, like Mangiapane, he plays all out. In today's NHL, that is what you need. The only issue with size is that you can't have your whole team be small and soft. And in the past couple years, I think this was a problem for the Flames. But recent additions have been guys of at least average size, with good tenacity to their games. That being the case, I think there is room on the roster for a guy of Phillip's size now, whereas last year I don't think there was.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2020, 12:11 PM   #142
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
Upon his return from injury, Phillips was -8 with a goal and 2 assists in 10 games.

What were the “ a lot of factors at play”?
the factors I can think of:

- Phillips may have returned from injury, but that injury was a fractured kneecap. I'm no sports doctor, but with him returning only 1.5 months later, I'm willing to bet he wasn't remotely 100%. He probably wasn't at risk of re-injury, but that doesn't mean he was ready to be a top contributor.

- Czarnik getting sent down to the AHL took some key opportunity away from Phillips as they filled the same niche on the team.

- when Phillips returned, there were a handful of NHL callups on the blueline which depleted their overall team play.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2020, 12:14 PM   #143
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

^ at the end of the day, I just think NHL coaches are inclined to stick with what has been proven to work. Despite the well documented short comings of JG & SM in the playoffs, they are still among the more prolific duo’s in the league over the last 3-4 years.

Splitting them may work. I agree Tkachuk and Monahan could compliment each other well. I’m not against it, but Ward did split them up and when rubber hit the road, sure enough, they were reunited.
If I were to put an alternate out there;

Tkachuk Monahan Mangiapane
Gaudreau Lindholm Dubé
Bennett Backlund Lievo
Lucic Ryan Simon

Reasons why this might be worth while:
-Lindholm has a great release, would be pairing him with a distributor
-Mang & Dubé both play a ‘dog on a bone’ style for puck retrieval
-going back a ways, but Backlund Bennett pair reunited

Holes/Questions I see here:
-5 LHS in your top 6
-Bennett C experiment is over
-Pretty small group for your top 6
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2020, 12:21 PM   #144
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am still baffled by Vancouver's decision to let him walk. Yes, they are up against the wall with the cap. However, even ignoring Ferland's likelihood of LTIR, let's just look at Baertchi.

He will make $3.666M this year. If they send him down, they save $1.075M in cap. Then they pay Leivo $0.875M. They have improved the team and saved $200K at the same time.

Absolutely baffling.
Old 10-25-2020, 12:27 PM   #145
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
We aren't grumpy. A little confused, but not grumpy.
Dazed and confused by the turnstile of players leaving?
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 01:08 PM   #146
BruceCody
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Not Swedish. Dislike
Wait a second, this is short for Jøshviklund Leivonström.

Last edited by BruceCody; 10-25-2020 at 01:10 PM.
BruceCody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 01:13 PM   #147
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceCody View Post
Wait a second, this is short for Joshviklund Leivonström.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2020, 01:25 PM   #148
Juggernaught
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I am still baffled by Vancouver's decision to let him walk. Yes, they are up against the wall with the cap. However, even ignoring Ferland's likelihood of LTIR, let's just look at Baertchi.

He will make $3.666M this year. If they send him down, they save $1.075M in cap. Then they pay Leivo $0.875M. They have improved the team and saved $200K at the same time.

Absolutely baffling.
Benning has already stated they want to get the young guys into the line-up (Hoglander, Lind, Podkolzin) so you have to make room at that position pure and simple.

Having said that, I liked Josh Leivo a lot as a Canuck's fan. I thought he was just starting to find his game when he shattered his kneecap. If you think you're going to be slotting him onto the fourth line you're wrong...not his game. He can play up the line-up from the third line if fully recovered. He is streaky but on a bargain of a contract that show's he's betting on himself. I think the Flames got a really nice player that has decent upside yet. He's on a one year deal so I wouldn't fork out your cash for a Leivo jersey.
Juggernaught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 01:33 PM   #149
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I was hoping they would add Leivo like many others. Systematically a right handed shooting forward was a massive need. There is a spot on on the second PP unit that is screaming for a RH forward.
Old 10-25-2020, 01:39 PM   #150
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

So Leinvo is basically no contact forward coming off a major injury who was not that fast in the first place.

He is 27 years old and has 6 NHL seasons with a career best of 19 pts 5 of which came on the PP.

He is not a bottom 6 energy guy.

This signing makes me think back to the signings of Nigel Dawes and Mason Raymond.... except at that time the Flames were desperate for someone to play in the Top-6 which they are not at this time.

Have no idea where he fits in the Flames lineup or plans.

Nordstrom made great sense, Simon was more a what the heck, but this one is a head scratcher. Buddy Robinson's $700 K one way makes more sense.

Maybe a Czarnik replacement on the Heat.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 01:44 PM   #151
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

lol

Of course you have no idea where he fits into the lineup, because you have no idea what he is as a player.

Leivo is EASILY the best player of the 3 new additions. He will not be playing on the Heat.
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2020, 01:53 PM   #152
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaught View Post
Benning has already stated they want to get the young guys into the line-up (Hoglander, Lind, Podkolzin) so you have to make room at that position pure and simple.

Having said that, I liked Josh Leivo a lot as a Canuck's fan. I thought he was just starting to find his game when he shattered his kneecap. If you think you're going to be slotting him onto the fourth line you're wrong...not his game. He can play up the line-up from the third line if fully recovered. He is streaky but on a bargain of a contract that show's he's betting on himself. I think the Flames got a really nice player that has decent upside yet. He's on a one year deal so I wouldn't fork out your cash for a Leivo jersey.
As a Flames' fan, I am happy to hear this. Gifting spots to young players is no way to push them to be better.

If you run into Benning, please pass on our gratitude.
Old 10-25-2020, 02:04 PM   #153
Hells Bells
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
So Leinvo is basically no contact forward coming off a major injury who was not that fast in the first place.

He is 27 years old and has 6 NHL seasons with a career best of 19 pts 5 of which came on the PP.

This signing makes me think back to the signings of Nigel Dawes and Mason Raymond.... except at that time the Flames were desperate for someone to play in the Top-6 which they are not at this time.

Nordstrom made great sense, Simon was more a what the heck, but this one is a head scratcher. Buddy Robinson's $700 K one way makes more sense.

It's baffling how someone so clueless continues to spew his ridiculous views for all to see.

You are resilient, I'll give you that.

Leivo is a much better player than Robinson and/or Czarnik.

Last edited by Hells Bells; 10-25-2020 at 02:07 PM.
Hells Bells is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hells Bells For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2020, 02:05 PM   #154
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It's a 1-year deal, for essentially league minimum.

I feel like I could repost my post from the Simon thread.

Opposing fans say he has warts (e.g. coming off injury) but really liked him and wanted to keep him, and given the cost and term, think it's a fantastic value deal for flames. Instead...

It's not that people can't critique, but it comes across that if the flames won the cup in 6 games, a subset would complain it wasn't good enough because it wasn't a sweep.
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 02:18 PM   #155
Juggernaught
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
As a Flames' fan, I am happy to hear this. Gifting spots to young players is no way to push them to be better.

If you run into Benning, please pass on our gratitude.
I don't believe I suggested Benning was "gifting" spots to anyone. The Canucks have three very good wingers (all playing in professional Men's leagues) that are very likely NHL ready to COMPETE for a single opening in addition to other veterans already signed. I think your definition of gifting needs to be revisited.
Juggernaught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 02:56 PM   #156
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

The majority of your posts just make me go

Leivo is by far the best of the depth signings Treliving has made, is a right shot, a fantastic shooter, a great ES producer, a great puck retriever, and was producing at a 40pt clip playing on the 2nd line in Vancouver before his injury.

At worst, Leivo is a solid top 9 addition with the potential of becoming a great top 6 option for the Flames, while easily being able to play higher in the lineup when injuries occur.

Leivo's 0.93 G/60 would've ranked 4th on the Flames last year. His 0.53 Primary Assists/60 would've ranked 6th on the Flames last year and his 1.99 points/60 would've ranked 2nd on the Flames last year.

That's all while driving play and not being a liability defensively.

This could end up being one of the best value signings of the offseason if he's able to return to even 75% of what he was last season.

Should do a tiiiiny bit more research into players before writing them off as nothing signings.
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AustinL_NHL For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2020, 03:33 PM   #157
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I love that, of all of them, Nordstrom is supposedly the one that made "great sense."

He's probably the worst player out of the four they've signed in the last week.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2020, 03:58 PM   #158
Meers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If healthy, Leivo is a good bargain utility forward.

But, I can't say that becoming the Canucks East is a good look.
Meers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 04:05 PM   #159
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Why are you even here?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2020, 04:13 PM   #160
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:
icon53

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I love that, of all of them, Nordstrom is supposedly the one that made "great sense."

He's probably the worst player out of the four they've signed in the last week.
In my experience as a fan, the lineup rarely shakes up exactly the way you'd expect. Especially when it's just one season. Some guys will disappoint or just won't fit, some guys will surprise.

It's not like these guys are on massively different tiers.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote