Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-24-2020, 08:09 PM   #1981
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
This is so laughable. Your homerism makes me laugh.

Monahan and Tkachuk point totals put together still don’t get what Drai had. Right now I wouldn’t trade Drai for Monahan and Tkachuk. Sure Tkachuk is a valuable piece, but SM has just as many warts as Nurse does. SM is ideally a second pairing center, who needs someone else to drive the line. The difference between Drai and Tkachuk is more then SM.

I don’t know if I’d trade Nurse for SM it would be close though.

Bennet and JP are a wash and are both crap right now. Bennet got 12 points and is on the way to being the next Jankowski.
I want to think you’re actually not, of that opinion, but based upon your posting history I don’t think you’re capable of such an under-handed troll-bait.

Sadly, that’s your hockey acumen speaking. A heartbeat, but forever on the tit.
Old 10-24-2020, 08:11 PM   #1982
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why? He doesn’t drive a line, and he wouldn’t crack our top 2 lines. He needs an elite playmaker to be effective. I’d say Nurse is more valuable to us.
If Nurse is more valuable to your team than Sean Monahan (which I agree with) your team has bigger issues at hand.
Old 10-24-2020, 10:00 PM   #1983
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Looooool so you're implying the likes of Ennis and Kassian push Monahan out of your top six and that you don't have an elite playmaker to feed him?

Even if you didn't want to use him as a winger, Monahan would be a better defensive C than Draisaitl by a mile. Monahan and RNH could actually do a decent job as a shutdown line. You'd be able to pair Dr. Doofus and McTitties and have Monahan center line two where he would be well suited.

So I guess we would agree then. You wouldn't want Monahan for Nurse and we sure as hell wouldn't want Nurse for Monahan. We'll keep our mediocre 1C that we have gone to the playoffs in 4 of 6 years with, and you can keep your braindead d-man that was throwing the puck up the middle of the ice in the last two minutes of an elimination situation with your goalie trying to get off the ice, then proceeded to miss the net by a mile from the slot. POs in 1/14 years with your all-offense center depth, no need to change a thing!

Last edited by djsFlames; 10-25-2020 at 10:40 AM.
Old 10-24-2020, 10:27 PM   #1984
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal
Ask him how that’s working out out between Yakupov & Jankowski.

I’m sure the retort will be chalk full of delusional false equivalency.

The Oilers got a 3rd Round pick... the Flames... cap space.
Of course 1st & 21st overall are the same.
Much like still having a contract in the league is just like being a suitcase in the KHL.

Oh the Oilers definitely got the better end of it all.

Yakupov got a 3rd Round Pick

Flames got a 2nd for trading down to take Jankowski. Which was Patrick Sieloff, who was traded for Alex Chiasson, who is now on the Oilers.

Big Brain stuff from the Oilers.

But yeah, Jay Feaster got more for trading from #14 to #21 than the Oilers got for Yakupov.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2020, 11:05 PM   #1985
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

Watch out! Someone hit stang's AZ-5 button!

I mean... you were only kinda-sorta holding it together until now, but damn. I only say that assuming it's not bait, since it almost seemed too obvious.
Old 10-25-2020, 12:14 AM   #1986
vilzeh
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well, he did his drive-by, I guess we won't be hearing from stang in the year 2020. I look at hockey pretty neutrally these days, I do love Calgary Flames (the organization), but I don't get emotionally attached with the players, they are just players, no one is bigger than the team, also I don't live anywhere near so I could even see them live apart from a few games / life.

What I wanted to point out is: I've never ever seen such a delusional fanbase as the Oilers have, in ANY sport. My thoughts and prayers go for you 'Calgarians' that you actually have to put up with this on a daily basis.
Old 10-25-2020, 12:30 AM   #1987
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Like... you would think that getting bounced by the Blackhawks who were immediately pummeled by the Knights would knock some humility into these folks but it's like they wiped it from their minds and looped back to fall 2017 when they thought they were heading for the dynasty motherland.

How do you glorify Turris and Barrie to the extent that you actually believe that they are the answer? Nashville's ownership is shelling money to the guy for 8 years just to get rid of him. How good do you think that player can be? Barrie was allowed to walk because he was deemed a detriment despite his offensive tools.

They brought back even older and more decrepit Mike Smith and did nothing to get defensively better. We've seen this show a hundred times.
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2020, 10:03 AM   #1988
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Like... you would think that getting bounced by the Blackhawks who were immediately pummeled by the Knights would knock some humility into these folks but it's like they wiped it from their minds and looped back to fall 2017 when they thought they were heading for the dynasty motherland.

How do you glorify Turris and Barrie to the extent that you actually believe that they are the answer? Nashville's ownership is shelling money to the guy for 8 years just to get rid of him. How good do you think that player can be? Barrie was allowed to walk because he was deemed a detriment despite his offensive tools.

They brought back even older and more decrepit Mike Smith and did nothing to get defensively better. We've seen this show a hundred times.
Simple.

Look at their roster last year, after McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH and Klefbom. There is nothing else. They have Kassian on the top line, FFS.

Turris and Barrie are familiar names, recognizable names - NHL names. That alone is reason for hope, compared to the barren wasteland that is the remainder of their roster.
Old 10-25-2020, 10:39 AM   #1989
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Simple.

Look at their roster last year, after McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH and Klefbom. There is nothing else. They have Kassian on the top line, FFS.

Turris and Barrie are familiar names, recognizable names - NHL names. That alone is reason for hope, compared to the barren wasteland that is the remainder of their roster.
Ah yes, the name recognition factor.

Something that counts for a lot in Edmonton's book.
Old 10-25-2020, 10:54 AM   #1990
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ah yes, the name recognition factor.

Something that counts for a lot in Edmonton's book.
It's so true, and part of the reason why they pump every player / staff personnel so hard. Then they get to run around town full of ego and arrogance due to every dope and schlub being told their name and how excellent they are. Before they've even accomplished anything of value playing/working for another team in the future.
Old 10-25-2020, 12:02 PM   #1991
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
It's so true, and part of the reason why they pump every player / staff personnel so hard. Then they get to run around town full of ego and arrogance due to every dope and schlub being told their name and how excellent they are. Before they've even accomplished anything of value playing/working for another team in the future.
But but but Kevin Lowe’s Hockey News draft issue combined with name recognition IS the scouting acumen of the Oilies. That and the special something in the water.

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
Old 10-25-2020, 12:03 PM   #1992
Plett25
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I see it as:

Draisaitl

Tkachuk

Monahan/Nurse

Bennett
Puljujarvi
I just wanted to requote this ridiculous post for posterity.

Stang is one of the better Oilers fans around here. But man, the delusion runs deep even with him.

As much as it pains me to say it, Draisaitl is the best of the bunch, but his point totals are inflated by playing with McJesus. Tkachuk or Monahan would have much higher point totals playing with McDavid. Especially if defence was optional.

Monahan is at worst a second line centre and Nurse is at best a second pairing d-man. More like a 1B and a 4/5. To equate these two is ridiculous.

Poolparty hasn't really been an NHLer, ever in his career. He's literally been an AHL/Euro level player. Benny has been a disappointment, but he's a legit NHLer and has a second gear in the playoffs. And unlike Poolparty, Benny has never been gifted anything in the NHL. To equate these two is ridiculous.

Draisaitl

Tkachuk
Monahan

Bennett/Nurse

Poolparty
Old 10-25-2020, 12:07 PM   #1993
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

You've been here since 07 so I expect you to be 30 plus years old who is acting like a young 18-20 year old Oilers Fan. Its pretty pathetic.
Old 10-25-2020, 12:13 PM   #1994
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

When you’ve got almost nothing I’ll give you over rating Nurse and Puljupizza kind of like when the senile homeless guy outside Tim Hortons tells me he’s really a wealthy Prince of an island in the Mediterranean.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:10 AM   #1995
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Looooool so you're implying the likes of Ennis and Kassian push Monahan out of your top six and that you don't have an elite playmaker to feed him?

Even if you didn't want to use him as a winger, Monahan would be a better defensive C than Draisaitl by a mile. Monahan and RNH could actually do a decent job as a shutdown line. You'd be able to pair Dr. Doofus and McTitties and have Monahan center line two where he would be well suited.

So I guess we would agree then. You wouldn't want Monahan for Nurse and we sure as hell wouldn't want Nurse for Monahan. We'll keep our mediocre 1C that we have gone to the playoffs in 4 of 6 years with, and you can keep your braindead d-man that was throwing the puck up the middle of the ice in the last two minutes of an elimination situation with your goalie trying to get off the ice, then proceeded to miss the net by a mile from the slot. POs in 1/14 years with your all-offense center depth, no need to change a thing!
You’re right I will concede he would make our top 6. I Wasn’t thinking of him on the wing. That’s my bad. And I wouldn’t trade him because we need nurse on D more then we need another 6 million forward. Plus I’m not a huge fan of SM game.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:16 AM   #1996
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilzeh View Post
Well, he did his drive-by, I guess we won't be hearing from stang in the year 2020. I look at hockey pretty neutrally these days, I do love Calgary Flames (the organization), but I don't get emotionally attached with the players, they are just players, no one is bigger than the team, also I don't live anywhere near so I could even see them live apart from a few games / life.

What I wanted to point out is: I've never ever seen such a delusional fanbase as the Oilers have, in ANY sport. My thoughts and prayers go for you 'Calgarians' that you actually have to put up with this on a daily basis.
Hi, I’m here all year thanks. Just so you know, there’s just as much delusion on this board as every other fan bases board as well.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:24 AM   #1997
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:

I’m going to give 5 games after a 2 month layoff during a pandemic a pass. The whole team played like dog crap. All of them.

No one said Turris and Barrie are the answer. There’s lots of guys getting paid by another team. Shattenkirk just won a cup, lucic, Lundqvist. Your arguments are terrible. Barrie was allowed to walk, well so was Markstom and Tanev. That’s a silly argument.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:26 AM   #1998
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hi, I’m here all year thanks. Just so you know, there’s just as much delusion on this board as every other fan bases board as well.
There is a strong vein of delusion running through every fanbase in every sport, everywhere.

But it is widely acknowledged, and not just in Calgary, that there is a very special and unique level of delusion up in Shelbyville. And I believe the reason for it is the delusion, and arrogance, that permeates from the executive and spreads through the incestuous local media. It is a disease that infests the entire organization, all the way down to the fans.

It is real, and it is palpable.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2020, 09:28 AM   #1999
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I’m going to give 5 games after a 2 month layoff during a pandemic a pass. The whole team played like dog crap. All of them.

No one said Turris and Barrie are the answer. There’s lots of guys getting paid by another team. Shattenkirk just won a cup, lucic, Lundqvist. Your arguments are terrible. Barrie was allowed to walk, well so was Markstom and Tanev. That’s a silly argument.
Markstrom and Tanev weren't "allowed to walk". The Canucks were outbid. They made offers to each, not far off what Calgary signed them for.

ETA: If the Leafs made any offer to Barrie, I'm not aware of it, and by signing Brodie, they pretty much said "we're not interested".

Last edited by GioforPM; 10-26-2020 at 09:31 AM.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:33 AM   #2000
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Key difference is that we allow simpletons like you to come in here and get your delusions knocked right off. The oil boards all need to be protected against posters who try to teach the denizens to read so they can know staples and stauffer are lying to them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread