Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Pick the best prospect from the following
Connor Mackey 141 49.13%
Dustin Wolf 146 50.87%
Voters: 287. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-23-2020, 07:26 PM   #61
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Damn this is close.

I don’t know how to feel having a 24yo college FA and a 7th rd pick battling out for #4.

Haha actually it makes me think our amateur scouting is pretty strong.

Last edited by SeanCharles; 10-23-2020 at 07:29 PM.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2020, 07:37 PM   #62
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wolf reminds me a lot of his predecessor, Carter Hart;both in his style and his numbers. I'm as big a fan of his as anybody, but the fact is (and I'm going to killed here for saying it) there's a reason he almost didn't get drafted. We don't truly know what we have in him because the team he plays for is an extremely defensive-minded club-they keep high danger chances very low, and he sees every shot. He still has the sterling numbers, and he looked very good in the one pre-season game he played in, but we'll know more when he turns pro.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 07:42 PM   #63
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Went with Wolf because Mackey wasn’t drafted by us and still is just on a 1-year deal at this time.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 07:48 PM   #64
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Ultimately these are two great prospects who I think any team would be happy to have in their top-5s.... we're lucky to be able to watch these guys.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2020, 12:08 AM   #65
Redlan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Wolf reminds me a lot of his predecessor, Carter Hart;both in his style and his numbers. I'm as big a fan of his as anybody, but the fact is (and I'm going to killed here for saying it) there's a reason he almost didn't get drafted. We don't truly know what we have in him because the team he plays for is an extremely defensive-minded club-they keep high danger chances very low, and he sees every shot. He still has the sterling numbers, and he looked very good in the one pre-season game he played in, but we'll know more when he turns pro.
So many contradictions. It’s funny that Carter Hart played in front of the same “extremely defence minded club”, received the same accolades, from the WHL, the CHL and a lot of knowledgeable scouts and talent evaluators and yet we find it hard to believe that he is a great prospect as college defensemen who “didn’t get drafted”. If Wolf was available in the 2020 draft, he would have been selected significantly sooner. Yes he would have been an overaged player but the Flames drafted a overaged goaltender in 2020 who is high on a few CPer’s lists and if I am not mistaken has already received votes.
Redlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 01:09 AM   #66
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlan View Post
So many contradictions. It’s funny that Carter Hart played in front of the same “extremely defence minded club”, received the same accolades, from the WHL, the CHL and a lot of knowledgeable scouts and talent evaluators and yet we find it hard to believe that he is a great prospect as college defensemen who “didn’t get drafted”. If Wolf was available in the 2020 draft, he would have been selected significantly sooner. Yes he would have been an overaged player but the Flames drafted a overaged goaltender in 2020 who is high on a few CPer’s lists and if I am not mistaken has already received votes.
Considering Wolf's '19-'20 stats are not as good as his '18-'19 stats, I find it hard to believe he would have been drafted higher, considering he would have been a year older. I don't necessarily see Mackey as a better prospect-for all we know, Wolfie could be the best goalie we ever drafted. I just think that there's less questions when it comes to Mackey-and that's just my little opinion. For me (and many scouts and pundits), Mackey is a sure-fire NHLer-as early as this upcoming season. Nobody is trying to crap on Wolf.

You bring up Hart having the same accolades, why was he drafted early and Wolf drafted at the end of round 7? Has to be a reason, right? I'm a big Wolf fan too, hope he makes it.

Last edited by Sandman; 10-24-2020 at 01:14 AM.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 07:31 AM   #67
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I vote, where the player was drafted is a consideration. Obviously draft position is less important as more time goes by, and a player can certainly improve or devalue his standing subsequent to the draft.

But since I’m not in fact scouting these players, their draft position provides the most objective available evidence of what pro scouts and GM’s actually thought of the player at a point in time.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote