Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2021, 10:50 PM   #1
Bingo
Owner

Exp:
Default Oilers 3 Flames 2

Game Takes: Oilers 3 Flames 2

- Entertaining game ... probably both teams deserved a point
- McDavid goes off again, Calgary just doesn't have that type of player, and the league is becoming more and more a star league.
- Markstrom solid in his return.
- Tanev/Hanifin top pairing on this team.
- Smith a difference maker for Edmonton.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 11:05 PM   #2
Flame On
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good takes, I think the PGT is being a little harsh about the one period out of the team. Important game for both and the 10-1 shot count wasn't going to sustain all game with a a potent offense like the Oilers who were desperate.
Insulted Other Member(s)
Don't insult other members; even if they are Canuck fans.
Flame On is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flame On For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2021, 11:17 PM   #3
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of your best write-ups Bingo. Maybe because your thoughts on the Sutter situation almost exactly match my own. So there’s that.

I am really souring in the 13/23 situation. They have become a liability 5 on 5 and that absolutely has to change. I simply see no reason to keep playing them together. They need to have an impact 5 on 5 in a game like this, against that defense.

I was hoping for more from Rasmus this year. Not seeing the big improvement from
last year other than looking more comfortable on the PP. The pairing with Gio is still too scrambly for my liking so I’m curious how that might change under Sutter.

Cassie with some kind of words about Darryl during the broadcast and how he took an interest in her career. The hate for her by some is over the top.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2021, 11:26 PM   #4
nieuwy-89
First Line Centre

Exp:

I’m irritated that Smith was better than our $6 million goalie. Injury or not, this was a one goal game and came down to goaltending. Markstrom needs to get on a run here, or this will go down as another brutal FA signing by Treliving.
nieuwy-89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 11:33 PM   #5
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm getting worried about Gio. He makes some really bad decisions at times. I think Darryl needs to sit him down and explain that they need him to play a more simple game as he's not the player he was even a season ago.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2021, 11:40 PM   #6
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I'm getting worried about Gio. He makes some really bad decisions at times. I think Darryl needs to sit him down and explain that they need him to play a more simple game as he's not the player he was even a season ago.
Imagine where this club would be if Tanev/Hanifin had not emerged the way they have.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2021, 11:46 PM   #7
Flamescuprun2018
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nieuwy-89 View Post
I’m irritated that Smith was better than our $6 million goalie. Injury or not, this was a one goal game and came down to goaltending. Markstrom needs to get on a run here, or this will go down as another brutal FA signing by Treliving.
First goal was a bad screen by Lindholm that created a juicy rebound to a sprinting Poolparty. Cannot fault Markstrom.

Second goal was a brilliant pass from Drai and a deflection off Backlund. Cannot fault Markstrom.

Third goal was a pure snipe by McD off the post. Markstrom needed to attack that shot to cut down angle but little time to do so.

Our woes are not goaltending but the harsh reality that our best forwards cannot elevate to nearly the same level as 97 and 29. It is so frustrating to see them double shifted and not even look tired.

Our best: 13, 23 and 19 pale in comparison. Can DS find another gear in them to close the gap?
Flamescuprun2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Flamescuprun2018 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2021, 11:48 PM   #8
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't blame Markstrom for the loss but his positioning was poor on the 1st and 3rd goals. He deserves the benefit of the doubt as this was his first game back in a couple of weeks.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 11:49 PM   #9
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Having an elite coach and goalie are huge pieces to building a successful team...but damn, I just struggle to see how this team will overcome not having either an elite centre or an elite defenceman.

It seems impossible.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 11:50 PM   #10
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

McDavid is the Oilers and their fortunes as a team rests on his shoulders. The Leafs proved in their 3 game set earlier this week.
Old 03-07-2021, 12:04 AM   #11
Scary Eloranta
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
McDavid is the Oilers and their fortunes as a team rests on his shoulders. The Leafs proved in their 3 game set earlier this week.

Fair enough, but who do we have???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scary Eloranta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 12:16 AM   #12
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamescuprun2018 View Post
First goal was a bad screen by Lindholm that created a juicy rebound to a sprinting Poolparty. Cannot fault Markstrom.

Second goal was a brilliant pass from Drai and a deflection off Backlund. Cannot fault Markstrom.

Third goal was a pure snipe by McD off the post. Markstrom needed to attack that shot to cut down angle but little time to do so.

Our woes are not goaltending but the harsh reality that our best forwards cannot elevate to nearly the same level as 97 and 29. It is so frustrating to see them double shifted and not even look tired.

Our best: 13, 23 and 19 pale in comparison. Can DS find another gear in them to close the gap?

It’s partly bounces.

Look, the first two goals are a bad decision by Lindholm and a bad bounce on Backlund (but a highly likely goal situation, so no fault on him for trying)

It was a game that could have gone either way, and Calgary started hot but had no head coach to manage the pushback

Result sucks, effort was there off the hop, but as the game progressed, that’s where you need a coach

Result sucks but no big deal
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 12:27 AM   #13
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nieuwy-89 View Post
You realize that neither of the first two goals were markys fault right?

Backlund scored with a sweet tip on the second one, and lindholm needs to either block it or gtfo the way.

If we had swapped goalies with the oilers tonight we’d have lost 6-2
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Boy Wonder For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2021, 12:30 AM   #14
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Gio is too slow now and panics because he doesn’t have as much time anymore. Turns the puck over a lot as a result.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 12:34 AM   #15
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Gio didn’t cost the team tonight
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2021, 12:40 AM   #16
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
I get it to some degree defensively, but teams should always have wingers on the other side on the powerplay.
Totally agree on this. Power plays are for scoring first
Old 03-07-2021, 08:50 AM   #17
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post
You realize that neither of the first two goals were markys fault right?

Backlund scored with a sweet tip on the second one, and lindholm needs to either block it or gtfo the way.

If we had swapped goalies with the oilers tonight we’d have lost 6-2
This take makes no sense. I'm not blaming Markstrom, but he definitely didn't face a tougher workload than Smith. Especially not on a way that leads to a 6-2 score.
Infinit47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 08:52 AM   #18
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think this game was basically a toss up. Could have easily gone either way. The Oilers had also just been embarrassed three times in a row. So they were hungry.

The Flames didn't have the luxury of double shifting their top players as they have a game today they needed to consider player workloads.
Infinit47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 08:56 AM   #19
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

asked on twitter last night if Edmonton fans felt like we did/do with Gretzky/McDavid when Iginla was in his prime?

Iginla was a great player, but not that level.

Really when you look at it there are only a few franchises that have had multiple generational players.

Edmonton - Gretzky, Messier?, McDavid (Draisaitl)
Pittsburgh - Lemieux, Jagr, Crosby (Malkin)
Colorado - Sakic, Forsberg?, McKinnon (Roy)
Detroit - Howe, Yzerman

Calgary has never had that guy.

Last night I thought Calgary played it well until they stacked a line with two players, and then it just kind of felt inevitable.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2021, 09:18 AM   #20
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
asked on twitter last night if Edmonton fans felt like we did/do with Gretzky/McDavid when Iginla was in his prime?

Iginla was a great player, but not that level.

Really when you look at it there are only a few franchises that have had multiple generational players.

Edmonton - Gretzky, Messier?, McDavid (Draisaitl)
Pittsburgh - Lemieux, Jagr, Crosby (Malkin)
Colorado - Sakic, Forsberg?, McKinnon (Roy)
Detroit - Howe, Yzerman

Calgary has never had that guy.

Last night I thought Calgary played it well until they stacked a line with two players, and then it just kind of felt inevitable.
Iginla would certainly be included as a generational player in a list that includes all those players. But I think the “generational” player list should be smaller, and there have only been 6 in my term of watching hockey: Howe, Orr, Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby, and now McDavid. Pittsburgh and Edmonton have been the big lottery winners, and only Howe and Orr got to their teams because the team actually had some skill in recognizing talent.

Last edited by Steve Bozek; 03-07-2021 at 09:22 AM.
Steve Bozek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve Bozek For This Useful Post: