Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-03-2021, 05:20 PM   #21
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
And I said I don't know, but genocide is a good place to start. Can we all agree on genocide? That. That's the line for now.

We didn't act before so why act now is not a good method to go through life. We also know more now than we did in 2008.
And since you wanted to draw this line in the sand what portion of your purchases are from China?

It’s easy to say Boycott olympics but what you should be asking for is for Canada to increase the cost of its goods by 20% or so, severely limit pork exports, Ban their 5G, tax real estate money coming into Vancouver and Toronto.

If as a country we want to protest let’s not go with half measures. Actually make a plan to be independent from Chinese goods and exports.

An Olympic boycott on its own is slactivism.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2021, 05:20 PM   #22
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

This sounds a lot like advocating slacktivism to me.

"This wont impact the problem, but I will do it anyway, so people know I am aware of the problem!"

Woopie. Don't go to the Olympics. Let's all be sure to get that #Uyghurs2022 hashtag trending while we're at it, and change our profile pictures to "I Stand With Michaels."

Meaningful change, that's what we're all about.

Honestly if we don't think refusing to go to the Olympics is going to have a meaningful impact on any of the issues mentioned, what are we talking about here?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2021, 05:22 PM   #23
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
And since you wanted to draw this line in the sand what portion of your purchases are from China?

It’s easy to say Boycott olympics but what you should be asking for is for Canada to increase the cost of its goods by 20% or so, severely limit pork exports.

If as a country we want to protest let’s not go with half measures. Actually make a plan to be independent from Chinese goods and exports.

An Olympic boycott on its own is slactivism.
I actually built my own manufacturing centers so I didn't have to purchase from China.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 05:23 PM   #24
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

When has meaningful change ever preceded mass awareness?
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 05:24 PM   #25
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
This sounds a lot like advocating slacktivism to me.

"This wont impact the problem, but I will do it anyway, so people know I am aware of the problem!"

Woopie. Don't go to the Olympics. Let's all be sure to get that #Uyghurs2022 hashtag trending while we're at it, and change our profile pictures to "I Stand With Michaels."

Meaningful change, that's what we're all about.

Honestly if we don't think refusing to go to the Olympics is going to have a meaningful impact on any of the issues mentioned, what are we talking about here?
It won't impact the problem but it also won't help whitewash the problem. Your stance is bad.

What's funny is I bet you wouldn't apply this outlook to most of the things that were basically protests and awareness campaigns this year. But this one? The actual attempt to eliminate a people? SLACKTIVISM!

Last edited by nik-; 03-03-2021 at 05:27 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2021, 05:25 PM   #26
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
When has meaningful change ever preceded mass awareness?
If you can't immediately solve the problem it's better to just help it be glossed over. Otherwise some athletes might feel bad.
Old 03-03-2021, 05:35 PM   #27
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I actually built my own manufacturing centers so I didn't have to purchase from China.
That misses the point.

You could have simply made an active attempt to consume less and not buy things that aren’t essentials. You could also look into supply chains and try to find the least impacted ones. You could boycott brands with large China presences, you can’t eliminate purchases from China but you could certainly put in effort to reduce it.

If your position is let’s Boycott the Olympics to protest China then you are a slactivist.

If your position is I am willing to under go a short term reduction in standard of living in the form of increased taxes, costs of goods and a reduction of economic activity AND boycott the Olympics then there is a reasonable discussion to be had.

The Boycott of the Olympics if being used needs to be the publicity for the rest of the sanctions.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2021, 05:37 PM   #28
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That misses the point.

You could have simply made an active attempt to consume less and not buy things that aren’t essentials. You could also look into supply chains and try to find the least impacted ones. You could boycott brands with large China presences, you can’t eliminate purchases from China but you could certainly put in effort to reduce it.

If your position is let’s Boycott the Olympics to protest China then you are a slactivist.

If your position is I am willing to under go a short term reduction in standard of living in the form of increased taxes, costs of goods and a reduction of economic activity AND boycott the Olympics then there is a reasonable discussion to be had.

The Boycott of the Olympics if being used needs to be the publicity for the rest of the sanctions.
I actually do do that. I try to not buy products from certain places. I understand most people don't and you really can't do it effectively. But I have no way to prove it to you, and you know that, and I know you know that, so you bringing it up like it's some effective counter is just weak. And you know that too. So ... zinger for you I guess?
Old 03-03-2021, 05:44 PM   #29
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I actually do do that. I try to not buy products from certain places. I understand most people don't and you really can't do it effectively. But I have no way to prove it to you, and you know that, and I know you know that, so you bringing it up like it's some effective counter is just weak. And you know that too. So ... zinger for you I guess?
I would disagree that you can’t meaningfully change the allocation of your income away from China. I think you could easily reduce it 20-30% through less consumption and a further 20% from choosing finished goods from Canada, Vietnam, or Malaysia. I’m not asking you to prove it at all I trust that you put in some effort.

You kind of ignore the entire second point. Are you proposing economic sanctions in addition to the Olympics?
Old 03-03-2021, 05:45 PM   #30
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

A Chinese court also ruled recently that homosexuality is a mental illness. So you can add that to the list of crap policies they have.

Everyone's got this all wrong. We go, but any true progressives in our athlete ranks or olympic delegation can shove it up the CCP's hoop any chance they get. How awesome would it be for some Canadian on the top of the podium to take off the Canada jacket to reveal a Taiwan flag? Or free Tibet shirt? Or free Hong Kong? Or free the Uighurs (sp) shirt? Or make stump speches while there supporting democracy. What are they gonna do, arrest a high profile athlete in the middle of their games? Lets show some true courage, go in to the belly of the beast and mock these criminals during their own event.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 05:48 PM   #31
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I would disagree that you can’t meaningfully change the allocation of your income away from China. I think you could easily reduce it 20-30% through less consumption and a further 20% from choosing finished goods from Canada, Vietnam, or Malaysia. I’m not asking you to prove it at all I trust that you put in some effort.

You kind of ignore the entire second point. Are you proposing economic sanctions in addition to the Olympics?
I would like to see it. For this and for other things, but I'm not naive enough to think it would happen. I would just like to see the world move away from one country manufacturing dominance. I want China to be part of the manufacturing tapestry, but this is beyond ridiculous. We're so beholden that we can't even get our government to publicly agree on what's happening. It's an embarrassment.

This though? This is an easy choice. Don't participate in their self glorification while they're sterilizing and locking people up.

Last edited by nik-; 03-03-2021 at 05:53 PM.
Old 03-03-2021, 05:54 PM   #32
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
A Chinese court also ruled recently that homosexuality is a mental illness. So you can add that to the list of crap policies they have.

Everyone's got this all wrong. We go, but any true progressives in our athlete ranks or olympic delegation can shove it up the CCP's hoop any chance they get. How awesome would it be for some Canadian on the top of the podium to take off the Canada jacket to reveal a Taiwan flag? Or free Tibet shirt? Or free Hong Kong? Or free the Uighurs (sp) shirt? Or make stump speches while there supporting democracy. What are they gonna do, arrest a high profile athlete in the middle of their games? Lets show some true courage, go in to the belly of the beast and mock these criminals during their own event.
Yes, and what is Canada going to do about it?
Old 03-03-2021, 05:57 PM   #33
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, and what is Canada going to do about it?
lol, probably nothing. You got me there.

I don't think they would in the Olympics but it's not a move without risk. Makes much more of a statement than just boycotting though, in my opinion.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 06:09 PM   #34
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
It won't impact the problem but it also won't help whitewash the problem. Your stance is bad.

What's funny is I bet you wouldn't apply this outlook to most of the things that were basically protests and awareness campaigns this year. But this one? The actual attempt to eliminate a people? SLACKTIVISM!
Yeah, you’re right. Thousands of people engaging in active protest, their only means of affecting change for things outside their control, is the same as a single country not going to the Olympics in protest... instead of any number of the actual meaningful things they could do that are actually in their control.

Same thing dude, same thing. Talk about a dumb take.

Forgive me if I don’t fall over myself praising the idea of a country not attending the Olympic Games in protest when the same country’s governing party won’t even recognise what’s happening as genocide. But hey, if it makes you feel good right?
Old 03-03-2021, 06:13 PM   #35
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Yeah, you’re right. Thousands of people engaging in active protest, their only means of affecting change for things outside their control, is the same as a single country not going to the Olympics in protest... instead of any number of the actual meaningful things they could do that are actually in their control.

Same thing dude, same thing. Talk about a dumb take.

Forgive me if I don’t fall over myself praising the idea of a country not attending the Olympic Games in protest when the same country’s governing party won’t even recognise what’s happening as genocide. But hey, if it makes you feel good right?
Whatever you need to tell yourself to make you feel better my dude. Go argue for better stimmy cheques while hand waving some genocide because some athletes might get hurt.
V
Old 03-03-2021, 06:14 PM   #36
guzzy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Did you forget who our prime minister is? Of course we are going
guzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 06:16 PM   #37
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Olympics are Morally Bankrupt and have been for years.

So has Canada.

So lets Juice 'em up and see what happens!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 06:22 PM   #38
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Olympics are lame, we should boycott every year.

I heard Trudeau left it up to the COC to decide, so Canada will likely go. Plus the PRoC went against the boycott in 1976, so there's an argument of 'we owe them one'.
But if there ever was a thing to boycott over, 'reeducation camps' are likely it.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 06:26 PM   #39
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I would like to see it. For this and for other things, but I'm not naive enough to think it would happen. I would just like to see the world move away from one country manufacturing dominance. I want China to be part of the manufacturing tapestry, but this is beyond ridiculous. We're so beholden that we can't even get our government to publicly agree on what's happening. It's an embarrassment.

This though? This is an easy choice. Don't participate in their self glorification while they're sterilizing and locking people up.
The it’s an easy choice is the problem. It’s meaningless without sanctions. In my opinion it’s worse then nothing. It’s an endorsement of as long as people keep up appearances there won’t be any diplomatic harm. You kidnap our people, we arrest yours, we don’t go to the Olympics but all of the money keeps flowing. It’s just theatre while people die.

So if we are going to be pretending to care anyway we might as well do it in away that we can watch the Olympics.
Old 03-03-2021, 06:50 PM   #40
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Whatever you need to tell yourself to make you feel better my dude. Go argue for better stimmy cheques while hand waving some genocide because some athletes might get hurt.
Haha yeah, alright. Nobody is hand waving genocide. Make sure you change up your profile pic, my dude. Be the change you want to see in the world.