Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2021, 11:32 AM   #41
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah you can't convince me that Robinson would be any worse than Nordstrom has been on that 4th line. Tell him to hit anything that moves and play an energy role.

I'm just using Robinson as an example but bring in any of the kids for a fresh look. What does it hurt at this point?
Burning Beard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 11:54 AM   #42
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hot take: Mackey in, Valimaki out would also be beneficial. Not permanently, but I think watching from above can benefit younger players sometimes. Valimaki has struggled with his decision making. It could be good to sit a game or two and watch with Conroy or someone in the press box. It worked for Johnny when he was a rookie.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 12:32 PM   #43
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Phillips is too small. Gawdin likely gets the call.
I agree that size and ruggedness is important. However, we have witnessed what a small player with exceptional speed, skill and tenacity does to inspire a team. and what it does when that player is removed. I'm thinking of Paul Byron.

I'd like to see what Phillips is capable of at the NHL level.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to flamesfever For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2021, 12:34 PM   #44
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Feed hungry kids onto the fourth line who go balls out to try and prove them self at the NHL level. I wish they’d use one spot to consistently give kids a chance.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2021, 12:39 PM   #45
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

I'm still one of those guys that misses Byron ....he hit like a truck for his size and it was like opposing teams never knew what hit them.

Phillips is shifty, elusive, great hands , excellent vision as a passer and from that video he shows NO fear.....that hit in the neutral zone then goes and scores and then has the entire line go after him and he DGAF let's go.

His GAF meter is what matters the most. Tkachuk, Bennett, Mangiapane and Dube seem to be the only heart this team has.....we need more of this ASAP ......or at least a coach that recognizes passengers from guys who show up mentally and physically.

I'm glad we have other players as options to get excited about and have healthy debates.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EVERLAST For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2021, 06:30 PM   #46
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:
icon57

Bump.
genetic_phreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 06:33 PM   #47
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

4th line RW is not the problem
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 06:34 PM   #48
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

ehhh, it's definitely one of the many problems

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 06:43 PM   #49
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLAST View Post
I'm still one of those guys that misses Byron ....he hit like a truck for his size and it was like opposing teams never knew what hit them.

Phillips is shifty, elusive, great hands , excellent vision as a passer and from that video he shows NO fear.....that hit in the neutral zone then goes and scores and then has the entire line go after him and he DGAF let's go.

His GAF meter is what matters the most. Tkachuk, Bennett, Mangiapane and Dube seem to be the only heart this team has.....we need more of this ASAP ......or at least a coach that recognizes passengers from guys who show up mentally and physically.

I'm glad we have other players as options to get excited about and have healthy debates.
Putting Byron on waivers was criminal. He was on a minimum contract and had shown he could play and be successful in the NHL.

What players should go on waivers? Guys who have yet to prove they are NHLers or have contracts that will scare others away from claiming them. He was not either of those, but there were lots of players on the team who fit those descriptions who were not exposed. Just brutal.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 06:56 PM   #50
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watching the game against Montreal. I'm ready for Ryan and Nordstrom to go to the taxi squad, and Gawdin and Phillips to come up. Also, welcome to our new fourth line centre, Mike Backlund. Sigh.
Old 02-01-2021, 10:43 AM   #51
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:
icon57

I think a good comparable to Phillips is a guy up north in Yamamoto. Similar junior league, junior numbers weren't too far apart, and AHL success you can argue Phillips has the upper advantage.

They both play a similar style in being tenacious, not shying away from physicality even with their size disadvantage.

Difference?

You can make any argument that our depth is better than the Oilers, but Yamamoto is playing better than our "depth" right now.

We never allow growing pains for our young guys, allowing them to play on the bottom 6 and making mistakes. Instead we choose "reliable" NHL plugs to eat up bottom 6 minutes. Especially when Dube was hurt, why wouldn't you try to plug Phillips into those roles to see how he does. Instead it's Simon or Leivo.
The Following User Says Thank You to genetic_phreek For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2021, 10:56 AM   #52
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic_phreek View Post
I think a good comparable to Phillips is a guy up north in Yamamoto. Similar junior league, junior numbers weren't too far apart, and AHL success you can argue Phillips has the upper advantage.

They both play a similar style in being tenacious, not shying away from physicality even with their size disadvantage.

Difference?

You can make any argument that our depth is better than the Oilers, but Yamamoto is playing better than our "depth" right now.

We never allow growing pains for our young guys, allowing them to play on the bottom 6 and making mistakes. Instead we choose "reliable" NHL plugs to eat up bottom 6 minutes. Especially when Dube was hurt, why wouldn't you try to plug Phillips into those roles to see how he does. Instead it's Simon or Leivo.
How do you think Dube and Mangiapane worked their way into the lineup in the first place? Hell, Kylington played most of the season last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2021, 11:09 AM   #53
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:
icon57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
How do you think Dube and Mangiapane worked their way into the lineup in the first place? Hell, Kylington played most of the season last year.
Dube and Mangiapane sure, but this was the exception, not the norm. Kylington played most due to injuries and necessity.

You can make an argument for Valimaki playing now but I think it's different from dmen to forwards.

I just think the Flames model has always been for the top 6 to be:

proven player - proven player - NHL Vet
ie: Johnny - Mony - Stewart/Simon/Leivo/Brouwer/Jagr etc etc

Why not have it be:

proven player - proven player - young prospect
Old 02-01-2021, 11:13 AM   #54
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic_phreek View Post
Dube and Mangiapane sure, but this was the exception, not the norm. Kylington played most due to injuries and necessity...
These are only "exceptions" if you can prove that they are exceptional. That's four players there in two years who have been given opportunities to play, and three of whom have solidified their spots in the lineup as a result.

The onus is on you to demonstrate that this is exceptional.

Quote:
Old 02-01-2021, 11:26 AM   #55
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
4th line RW is not the problem
Uhh... maybe not THE problem, but it's definitely A problem
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 11:31 AM   #56
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
These are only "exceptions" if you can prove that they are exceptional. That's four players there in two years who have been given opportunities to play, and three of whom have solidified their spots in the lineup as a result.

The onus is on you to demonstrate that this is exceptional.
Rasmus is also an example. And, in the recent past, Jankowski, Hathaway, Ferland.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 11:32 AM   #57
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Rasmus is also an example. And, in the recent past, Jankowski, Hathaway, Ferland.
So, not exceptional? Yeah, that's what I thought.

Quote:
Old 02-01-2021, 12:36 PM   #58
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So, not exceptional? Yeah, that's what I thought.
Yeah, I was agreeing. A single rookie cracking the lineup each year is often pretty good.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2021, 01:01 PM   #59
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Yeah i dont think a guy who is 5'6" tall and weighs 160 lbs that has niether played an NHL shift nor hockey of any kind in almost 11 months is an answer to any question on the Flames.
Especially at his age, I mean Fleury is almost 53!
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 05:22 PM   #60
CF84
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Is it feasible that the Flames are just being smart with players that could possibly be picked up by Seattle? The Flames don't need someone like Phillips to succeed, only to potentially lose a better player than they would have during the expansion draft. Would it be better if he was to fly under the radar and then win a spot next year?

Smart teams will hold their cards close (if that's even possible) before this next expansion draft.

Of course, everything I said will be moot if he has an excellent year in the AHL.
CF84 is offline   Reply With Quote