Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-27-2020, 07:50 PM   #41
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

So is Kawhi actually hurt or was this a load management game off?

I can’t say I really understand the in’s and out’s of the NBA, as I’m a bandwagoner at best, but the picture I have of a kawhi being the “anti” superstar has completely flipped. I think he’s a bigger diva than most now. That being said, it was fun to watch him win a championship with a Toronto.
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 08:23 PM   #42
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Kawhi from what I’ve read comes off as just a somewhat jerky introvert. But he still wants the attention and accolades that come with being a superstar but on his own terms. But because of how that seems to gel with many teammates I think that attitude is worse than your typical sports diva. He’s still going to get the preferential treatment others get but he won’t do any team leading or building to smooth that over.
Kasi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kasi For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2020, 08:25 PM   #43
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingred89 View Post
So is Kawhi actually hurt or was this a load management game off?

I can’t say I really understand the in’s and out’s of the NBA, as I’m a bandwagoner at best, but the picture I have of a kawhi being the “anti” superstar has completely flipped. I think he’s a bigger diva than most now. That being said, it was fun to watch him win a championship with a Toronto.
Kawhi got smashed in the face and need a bunch on stitches in his mouth last night
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 08:31 PM   #44
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

AD is out tonight as well and Embid was out today too. I imagine we will see a lot of phantom or nagging injuries this year as a way to give players rest. Although KAT’s injury seems a bit more serious. I’m sure Kawhi could have played but no need to if he doesn’t have to.
Old 12-27-2020, 09:38 PM   #45
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasi View Post
Kawhi from what I’ve read comes off as just a somewhat jerky introvert. But he still wants the attention and accolades that come with being a superstar but on his own terms. But because of how that seems to gel with many teammates I think that attitude is worse than your typical sports diva. He’s still going to get the preferential treatment others get but he won’t do any team leading or building to smooth that over.
As you start to get to “know” Kawhi from piecing together what those around say, I think this sums up everything. I was listening to a Fan590 interview with Mike James the other day. The former Raptor Mike James who best summed up Kawhi’s attitude when asked if he’s happy in LA. He said something like, “only Kawhi knows that answer and he doesn’t talk about his feelings. You’ll only find out if he leaves”. And started talking how the world class organization of San Antonio and Greg Popovic was somehow able to piss off Kawhi when by all accounts they run a respectable organization. At the time everyone was happy he was a Rap and he certainly did an amazing thing. But when you piece together his quiet selfishness I don’t see the guy in a godlike aura he previously had. More like it’s possible we dodged a bullet because his act would surely be good in small doses and not on a team for a long haul with him quietly demanding special treatment.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 10:42 PM   #46
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think he’s a great player no doubt but I do have some serious concerns. One as you say is the attitude. He is what he is and I think we’re well past the point of that changing. The second is the mysterious leg ailment that originally came up on San Antonio. For a guy that’s not that old he’s remarkably fragile. He barely got through the Toronto title run and earlier this year in true playoffs he was visibly gassed before the 2nd round was even done. He’s not going to be a Lebron or KD taking care of himself and performing at high rate well into his 30s.
Old 12-29-2020, 06:25 PM   #47
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stats be damned, Fred and Siakam have to be more consistent this season because they are the future leaders of the team and so far it’s been inconsistent from them. She I don’t think Terrence Davis has played a minute this season yet. If they want to deal the guy they shouldn’t let a talent with potential sit there. Looks like a bit too much depth right now.
Old 12-29-2020, 06:55 PM   #48
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Raps faltering again.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 06:56 PM   #49
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Add Powell to the top of the list of players that have not played up to potential. Selfish shots, missing from a mile away, and Nurse hasn’t pulled him. Nonsense.
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2020, 06:56 PM   #50
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

The offence still struggles at times without a go-to scorer. Somebody needs to drive to the net consistently and force the defence to foul.
The Big Chill is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Big Chill For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2020, 07:05 PM   #51
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Go get it Stanley!
The Following User Says Thank You to Karl For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2020, 07:19 PM   #52
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Man, Embiid flops a lot
The Big Chill is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Big Chill For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2020, 07:21 PM   #53
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

At the start of the season I was sure it was Fred’s team and Lowry should be dealt. Now I’m not so sure. Lowry has been amazing early on.
Old 12-29-2020, 07:28 PM   #54
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Garbage...
The Following User Says Thank You to Karl For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2020, 07:33 PM   #55
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

This team is as soft as toilet paper.
Old 12-29-2020, 07:37 PM   #56
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

As soon as the docket said Tony Brothers was officiating the game was unwinnable anyhow.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 07:40 PM   #57
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
At the start of the season I was sure it was Fred’s team and Lowry should be dealt. Now I’m not so sure. Lowry has been amazing early on.
Yeah, just feels like there's nobody they can count on to make clutch plays beyond Lowry; others are trying but not quite getting it. I still think trading Lowry might be the right thing to do, but the price should be high; he's seriously a piece that could put a contender over the top, but if you get the assets you could do a retooling around, it's probably worth it.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2020, 08:11 PM   #58
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of the bigger issues right now is they have been out-rebounded pretty well in all three games. Not gonna win many games at this level losing the rebound advantage by ~10 a game, unless you are shooting lights out.
Old 12-29-2020, 08:28 PM   #59
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
One of the bigger issues right now is they have been out-rebounded pretty well in all three games. Not gonna win many games at this level losing the rebound advantage by ~10 a game, unless you are shooting lights out.

Yeah, that's definitely among the many problems. It really comes down to too many one dimensional players hoping to add elements to their game, but truth be told, most will fail and maybe one or two may end up adding a skill. It's one thing to help a few players out in skill development, but when so many are so one dimensional it makes it hard to put a proper lineup together at any given point to put both defence and offence out there. So you have to live with the inconsistency. I guess Nurse and crew realize that and are willing to live with it this year in hopes that someone pulls through, but I think there's realistically gotta be a look at the roster and say, who do you truly want to develop? Siakam you have to live and die with, as with Lowry and Fred, but beyond that in that second tier of guys who may turn out to be very good you have to give time to Anunoby and Thomas. Third tier Flynn, Boucher/Baynes, Davis and Powell. Fourth, pretty much everyone else. Len and Johnson and those guys won't be on the team in the future, so why are they being given so many minutes? I'd argue that Powell has established he'll be completely inconsistent and that's his fate, but understand he's aggressive enough to get minutes, but he's also not part of the future, so why not focus on guys who may be around for a long time? There are too many third tier guys right now and that's the issue - they really have to establish quickly who they want to invest time in and package some of the depth out, because three games in it's apparent there's nobody stepping up aside from Lowry.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2020, 08:52 PM   #60
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

I didn't watch the game today but they looked like crap in the first two games I saw. Not even enjoyable to watch. It's still early though so I think they'll turn it around.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
#crapforcade , #suckforsuggs , jurassic bay