Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-05-2021, 08:38 AM   #41
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Got a response from Intramed on the $200 fee, sounds like bull#### to me. Is this one of those things that every clinic charges just because?

"The $200 fee is for the consultation fee and premium uninsured services package that is not covered by Alberta Healthcare."
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 08:38 AM   #42
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Our 2nd is on route (3 months away now) and I am looking into the procedure now too. Not that I dont love my kid, and will love the next one, but this is definitely going to be it for this shop lol. I managed to get wifey pregnant on the first round of attempt each go. My swimmers are too good and her nest is too nice to let the situation continue unimpeded.
Ya our first was unplanned, and the 2nd one was but we didn't have to try very hard. I knew #3 was only a matter of time unless the swimmers were restrained
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:26 AM   #43
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Ya our first was unplanned, and the 2nd one was but we didn't have to try very hard. I knew #3 was only a matter of time unless the swimmers were restrained
Very much, and who in their right mind wants to throw on a dome with the wifey lol.
And it's entirely unfair to ask the wife to continue subjecting her body to constant chemical/ hormonal imbalances when all it takes on our end is a quick lil snip.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 07:56 PM   #44
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Our 2nd is on route (3 months away now) and I am looking into the procedure now too. Not that I dont love my kid, and will love the next one, but this is definitely going to be it for this shop lol. I managed to get wifey pregnant on the first round of attempt each go. My swimmers are too good and her nest is too nice to let the situation continue unimpeded.
This was me as well, so that's why we decided to go this route.

But it sure does seem sad to see all this incredible male potency go to waste!
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 08:00 PM   #45
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterpants View Post
Waiting is the worst part. Postponed mine twice for reasons that I probably didn't need to but as soon as I had the glimmer of a conflict I moved the appointment. Overall not bad though. Best advice I heard was it's not that bad, but you have to milk it. Milk it like a prized heiffer. Take a few days. Lay in bed and play vids, get served like the king you are. It wears thin after a while so get it while you can. Go for the laughing gas and you can giggle away while a bunch of randos (doc, assistants) fiddle with your plums.
I did the laughing gas as well, but like all anesthetics, they tend to wear off on me pretty quickly. I felt some acutely sharp pain about 15 minutes in. Wasn't super comfortable for the rest of the time.

I still have PTSD from an incident at the dentist. I had my wisdom teeth pulled (just not enough room for those teeth to be cleaned properly) and the same thing happened during the procedure. Apparently my roots go crazy deep and strong, and so the doc had a helluva time pulling them. At one point he had his foot on my chest to keep me pinned while he wiggled and yanked at my jaw. The worst part was that the anesthetic began to wear off, and so I started to feel the pain when he attempted to pull one of them. I quickly made my complaint and they had to numb me up a second time to get the job done.

Traumatic to say the least. My vasectomy actually went a helluva lot better than that.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 08:13 PM   #46
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I just realized I never bumped this thread.

I had the procedure done just over 3 weeks ago.

Not the best day I've ever had, but far from the worst. Ice is your friend. Use it liberally.

But...still having some lingering discomfort when the boys are put in certain positions. Someone tell me this goes away at some point?
I had it hang around for a while too. I describe as thing a just feeling “off” for a while which was probably 2-3 months. Not pain, just some discomfort and not right. It goes away.

Worked out great though, our first two kids were first attempts and the third happened unintentionally while we were deciding if we wanted a third or not. Got it done before she dropped the baby so I had my few months to clear things out. Great decision, I’ve never once wanted a fourth kid and our intimate time is much more enjoyable not worrying about birth control or potential pregnancy.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2021, 12:08 AM   #47
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
Got a response from Intramed on the $200 fee, sounds like bull#### to me. Is this one of those things that every clinic charges just because?

"The $200 fee is for the consultation fee and premium uninsured services package that is not covered by Alberta Healthcare."
I think that fee is a combination of admin fee to AHS, clinic consultation and some type of care package you take home with you. I just glazed over the details because it was so small of a fee.

Because of a few moving parts in life, I scheduled mine in May vs doing it right away. I think the earliest they were able to do was mid April when I booked my appointment over a month ago.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 06:42 AM   #48
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah the $200 fee wasn't anything special. I believe you can opt out of it but I didn't bother since I just claimed it through my plan at work.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 11:33 AM   #49
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It took a phone call and 3 follow up emails but I finally for to the bottom of the extra $200 fee. Just like a few posters pointed out, it's a complete add-on and you're not required to pay it.

They bring up the fee immediately and remind you of the $200 that needs to be paid but I finally found out it's to have the consultation on the same day as the procedure since Alberta Health only covers one visit perday and for their "premium services".

So, I'm passing on the extra stuff and making a separate consultation trip beforehand, will keep my $200. Kinda underhanded how they don't pose it and offer it as an add on, I have a friend who paid and thought it was mandatory.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 12:31 PM   #50
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
It took a phone call and 3 follow up emails but I finally for to the bottom of the extra $200 fee. Just like a few posters pointed out, it's a complete add-on and you're not required to pay it.

They bring up the fee immediately and remind you of the $200 that needs to be paid but I finally found out it's to have the consultation on the same day as the procedure since Alberta Health only covers one visit perday and for their "premium services".

So, I'm passing on the extra stuff and making a separate consultation trip beforehand, will keep my $200. Kinda underhanded how they don't pose it and offer it as an add on, I have a friend who paid and thought it was mandatory.
I was told the savings was only $50 if the consultation was the same day as the procedure. I was also seem to recall that the base $150 wasn't optional and part of their ability to ensure a higher quality standard of care.

If it is 100% optional though, neat.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 12:48 PM   #51
Knut

Exp:

I paid the fee. I understand how Alberta Health Care works. They likely have not seen an increase in billings for the procedures and follow ups for a Decade. It the extra money helps them perform the procedure safer, cleaner and with better staff/equipment then I am all for it.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 12:57 PM   #52
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knut View Post
I paid the fee. I understand how Alberta Health Care works. They likely have not seen an increase in billings for the procedures and follow ups for a Decade. It the extra money helps them perform the procedure safer, cleaner and with better staff/equipment then I am all for it.
Naw, it just goes to new tires for the Lambo.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 04:13 PM   #53
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knut View Post
lol
Old 03-08-2021, 05:29 PM   #54
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dunno man, there's some things to haggle down on price on... for the guy literally cutting in to my balls, I think I'll just give him the $200.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2021, 05:53 PM   #55
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I had mine done by a doctor that I was referred to by my family doctor. It included initial consultation, blood work, and then the procedure itself. There was no extra fee involved.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 07:09 PM   #56
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I dunno man, there's some things to haggle down on price on... for the guy literally cutting in to my balls, I think I'll just give him the $200.
Yeah. The $200 fee didn't include anything that I found remotely valuable. But on the other hand, I didn't exactly want to upset the guy right before...
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:04 AM   #57
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

I got mine done on a Friday morning. I was given a drug as in the past I have had issues in hospitals, doctor's offices etc. so my wife was there to drive me home.

Came home, followed the doctor's orders and stayed on the couch icing my junk or Friday and Saturday. Felt good, no swelling, no pain so on Sunday I lived life as normal, kept an eye on things. Sunday night just happened to be garbage night and so not thinking of it I take the cans to the curb and then sit down to watch TV with my wife. After a little while I start to feel uncomfortable. A little while later I get up to go to the bathroom and I can feel that things are bigger and I am basically walking bow legged. I get to the bathroom and my sack was the size of a grapefruit.

So my advice, follow the doctors orders of no lifting anything for at least the 72 hours they suggest...maybe add a day just to be safe.
Old 03-09-2021, 07:02 PM   #58
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Ball View Post
I had mine done by a doctor that I was referred to by my family doctor. It included initial consultation, blood work, and then the procedure itself. There was no extra fee involved.

What kind of blood work did you need, nobody took mine I don’t think
Old 03-09-2021, 10:52 PM   #59
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukes View Post
I got mine done on a Friday morning. I was given a drug as in the past I have had issues in hospitals, doctor's offices etc. so my wife was there to drive me home.

Came home, followed the doctor's orders and stayed on the couch icing my junk or Friday and Saturday. Felt good, no swelling, no pain so on Sunday I lived life as normal, kept an eye on things. Sunday night just happened to be garbage night and so not thinking of it I take the cans to the curb and then sit down to watch TV with my wife. After a little while I start to feel uncomfortable. A little while later I get up to go to the bathroom and I can feel that things are bigger and I am basically walking bow legged. I get to the bathroom and my sack was the size of a grapefruit.

So my advice, follow the doctors orders of no lifting anything for at least the 72 hours they suggest...maybe add a day just to be safe.
Yeah I had it done on February 12th and really forced myself to take it easy the first 3 days even though I felt like I didn't need to. Upped my activity on days 4 and 5 nothing much but more walking and moving things around...well day 6 not feeling as good and things looking a bit darker down there...so scaled back for a few more days. All good after that, but when they say take it easy for a week...take it easy. My Doctor said the worst thing you an do is go for a walk in a couple days thinking you're okay.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2021, 07:06 AM   #60
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

after the most recent scare.
I'm going to go in.

this place here in edmonton was highly recommended from the hubbies of my wife's friends.
https://lohlunclinic.com/

They went for the premium package for the extra $250. they figured $250 is better than the cost of another child and the extra money was worth it.

I didn't know there was a no scalpel vasectomy now. that's good that it seems it will be easier to recover from.

did you guys get this option?
"Dr Lohlun can use mini titanium clips or tiny stitches in occluding the vas deferens. The techniques are equally effective, and you can choose either one. Some men prefer sutures over clips."
is there a difference, really?
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote