Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2020, 01:00 PM   #21
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
What is the benefit of this? I have to say it's never popped into my head once as something I would consider getting done.

Presumably you guys are a bit older (50s?) Wouldn't your wives be close to being naturally done already? Or have you all got younger models?
I'm in my early 40's now, and had it done about a decade ago (another Intramed Alumni here).

I have never wanted kids. Ever. Not even once. Taking the bullets out of the gun, as it were, took a LOT of stress off me and my wife, and freed up some extra money too, as we were no longer paying for various methods of contraception.

I, too, have a trio of friends with "oops" kids. The kids are all loved, but that was always a big fear of mine. A relatively quick, painless, cheap procedure...and a massive burden/stressor lifted off my shoulders. I don't regret a second of it, and kinda wish I'd thought of it even earlier.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 01:57 PM   #22
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What is the benefit of this? I have to say it's never popped into my head once as something I would consider getting done.

Presumably you guys are a bit older (50s?) Wouldn't your wives be close to being naturally done already? Or have you all got younger models?
For a second I thought CliffFletcher wrote this.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2020, 02:06 PM   #23
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Classic.
I still remember the guy saying "chop chop peepee!"
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 02:21 PM   #24
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I wouldn't recommend "putting the gun in the holster" and I think that you just want to take the bullets out? To each their own though!
So close! I was gonna say putting the gun in the holster is what started the whole problem!
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Titan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2020, 03:59 PM   #25
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
The benefit if you are married is no more risk of unintentional pregnancy and your wife doesn't have to take hormone altering pills or keep an irritating IUD in their uterus. Condoms are riskier than these methods of contraception due to user error/failure of the materials.

I'm 40 and my wife is 35, we decided we were done having kids and this is the best way to ensure nothing happens by accident. My brother had a 3rd kid unintentionally, and while he doesn't regret having his third kid, he does regret not getting his vasectomy sooner. To be fair, he doesn't make a ton of money so it puts more strain on his finances. I have a buddy who did it recently and he just turned 36. You'd be surprised how many married men do it once they've had their kids.

You assumed we were all in our 50's (good lord), so I hope this changes your perspective a little. I won't tell you what I assume your age to be.
yah the wife didn't want to deal with her side of things (hormones, IUD, fear) and since I had some brief medical leave (busted leg) it was relatively "easy" for me to lay still and heal up... everywhere.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 06:55 PM   #26
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm planning on getting a vasectomy in the coming months. Intramed was the finalist and I'm glad to hear good things for the place from quite a few posters.

Once I get the time to do so, it'll be the consultation part. From what I understand, even with Covid, they're booked up till some time in February.

Quote:

I'm mid 30s and my wife is a few years younger than I. I have a lot more bed shaking to do and I'm not interested in adding to my two kids. I'm also realizing I know a ton of people who are having kids in their 40s due to complications, or pregnancy in their 40s due to "oops". So I think this procedure might have an efficacy duration in excess of a decade for my wife and I.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 07:18 PM   #27
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showth...=wiener+doctor

I went for a consultation with Dr. Van Der Merwe in Mission about getting snipped.

I was waiting in the examination room, when the adjacent door slid open. There was my Doctor at his desk with a dachshund in his lap.

Wiener Doctor with a Wiener Dog. For reals.

He ran for the NDP in a bi-election last year.

Anyway, the procedure went great - no complications and I did not need the pain medication. Two small punctures were made, leaving no scars. Was walking two days later. They never called for follow-up and I never had a sample tested later.

[this doctor has since left his practice]
The Wiener dog or the Doctor?
It's the NDP, I had to ask.
Old 12-19-2020, 07:27 PM   #28
Knut

Exp:

I went to the Vet. I would give it a 7/10. The cone they made me wear so I wouldn’t gnaw at my stitches was super annoying which is why I can’t give it a 10/10.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2021, 01:40 PM   #29
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Reading through a few vasectomy threads for info, bumping this one since it's more recent.

I'm hearing and reading that some guys paid ~$200, others saying it's covered. Does it depend on where you go?

Are there only a handful of clinics that specialize in this lovely procedure? Any in my area close to MacLeod, basically Chinook to SouthCenter?

Thank you!
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 02:08 PM   #30
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

A belt.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 07:39 PM   #31
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
Reading through a few vasectomy threads for info, bumping this one since it's more recent.
I'm hearing and reading that some guys paid ~$200, others saying it's covered. Does it depend on where you go?
Are there only a handful of clinics that specialize in this lovely procedure? Any in my area close to MacLeod, basically Chinook to SouthCenter?
Thank you!
Some places may charge an extra fee for some special services and try to convince you that they're needed. Theyre not. However the basic "meat and potato" job is covered here in Alberta under AHC.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:06 PM   #32
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The benefit if you are married is no more risk of unintentional pregnancy and your wife doesn't have to take hormone altering pills or keep an irritating IUD in their uterus. Condoms are riskier than these methods of contraception due to user error/failure of the materials.

I'm 40 and my wife is 35, we decided we were done having kids and this is the best way to ensure nothing happens by accident. My brother had a 3rd kid unintentionally, and while he doesn't regret having his third kid, he does regret not getting his vasectomy sooner. To be fair, he doesn't make a ton of money so it puts more strain on his finances. I have a buddy who did it recently and he just turned 36. You'd be surprised how many married men do it once they've had their kids.

You assumed we were all in our 50's (good lord), so I hope this changes your perspective a little. I won't tell you what I assume your age to be.
I just realized I never bumped this thread.

I had the procedure done just over 3 weeks ago.

Not the best day I've ever had, but far from the worst. Ice is your friend. Use it liberally.

But...still having some lingering discomfort when the boys are put in certain positions. Someone tell me this goes away at some point?
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 10:29 PM   #33
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I was intramed and 4 days of pain but nothing crazy. Never got my second test done so hopefully they did good work.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 10:31 PM   #34
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I'm planning on getting a vasectomy in the coming months. Intramed was the finalist and I'm glad to hear good things for the place from quite a few posters.

Once I get the time to do so, it'll be the consultation part. From what I understand, even with Covid, they're booked up till some time in February.

I'm mid 30s and my wife is a few years younger than I. I have a lot more bed shaking to do and I'm not interested in adding to my two kids. I'm also realizing I know a ton of people who are having kids in their 40s due to complications, or pregnancy in their 40s due to "oops". So I think this procedure might have an efficacy duration in excess of a decade for my wife and I.
Just don’t book your appointment 3 months out and negotiate a guys trip somewhere with trying for a third before you get snipped as drop dead date. You will find out you’re having a third on that boys trip. It’s science
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fundmark19 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2021, 12:07 AM   #35
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I went to intramed and so did a buddy of mine. Procedure was painless for me and I drove myself home. It didn't start to hurt until later in the evening, and then that night sucked. But the next day it was fine as long as I had an ice pack or frozen peas. My buddy was the total opposite though, he ended up passing out due to pain after the procedure and his wife had to come pick him up, then he puked after getting home. Took him a week to recover
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 12:15 AM   #36
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Not the best day I've ever had, but far from the worst. Ice is your friend. Use it liberally.

But...still having some lingering discomfort when the boys are put in certain positions. Someone tell me this goes away at some point?
A former boss of mine was in discomfort for two weeks! He wore his shirt and tie... with track pants. Regular pants were too tight for him.

Most people I know recovered within a few days.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 12:41 AM   #37
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I also had mine at intramed. I definitely had that lingering discomfort (up to shooting pain) in certain positions for a few months afterwards. It did get better and eventually stopped.

I ordered some very supportive briefs and that helped quite a bit.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 06:36 AM   #38
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 08:25 AM   #39
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Our 2nd is on route (3 months away now) and I am looking into the procedure now too. Not that I dont love my kid, and will love the next one, but this is definitely going to be it for this shop lol. I managed to get wifey pregnant on the first round of attempt each go. My swimmers are too good and her nest is too nice to let the situation continue unimpeded.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 08:38 AM   #40
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Waiting is the worst part. Postponed mine twice for reasons that I probably didn't need to but as soon as I had the glimmer of a conflict I moved the appointment. Overall not bad though. Best advice I heard was it's not that bad, but you have to milk it. Milk it like a prized heiffer. Take a few days. Lay in bed and play vids, get served like the king you are. It wears thin after a while so get it while you can. Go for the laughing gas and you can giggle away while a bunch of randos (doc, assistants) fiddle with your plums.
Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Misterpants For This Useful Post: