Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-02-2023, 06:53 PM   #1
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Roughnecks & NLL

1st game of the year, team is pretty much the same as last year. love the roughnecks games. hoping for a good year
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dirk diggler For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2023, 07:05 PM   #2
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

they've actually made some good moves to get some more goal scoring. Hoggarth and Schuss (when he's healthy) are both upgrades. they relied a ton on transition goals last year, but they need to generate more on with the 5 man offensive unit. Those guys should help.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 08:09 AM   #3
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

The son of a very good friend of mine made the squad.

Young kid, it makes me happy and has renewed my interest in the Roughnecks (which waned when my boy stopped playing to focus on rugby).

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2023, 11:26 AM   #4
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Getting ready for our first home game, a month in to the season. And hey, no home games in January. This year's schedule is just ridiculous. Add on that I need to pay extra for TSN+ for road games, I'm not quite as revved up this season so far.

Tough loss to Rochester in week one, and we hung in with the Seals right up until we didn't. Not sure what to make of that breakdown. All in all, not terribly worried about the 0-2 start.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 03:38 PM   #5
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
Getting ready for our first home game, a month in to the season. And hey, no home games in January. This year's schedule is just ridiculous. Add on that I need to pay extra for TSN+ for road games, I'm not quite as revved up this season so far.

Tough loss to Rochester in week one, and we hung in with the Seals right up until we didn't. Not sure what to make of that breakdown. All in all, not terribly worried about the 0-2 start.
Yeah, I looked at the schedule a little while ago when I was trying to figure out which games to go to and the schedule is garage. Very uneven and the back to back home games are not ideal. We were considering get season tickets but I'm glad we didn't do it with this schedule.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 10:31 AM   #6
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Tough weekend for the necks. fine line between winning and losing.
The Following User Says Thank You to dirk diggler For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2024, 01:26 PM   #7
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

They are better than their record, but the schedule has really made things hard. Too few games early and then back to back. They just haven't established chemistry.
But with the new unified standings it's tough. The hole is already getting deep. Logan Schuss getting healthy would help

I did the NY game, and holy crap is Jeff Teat a talent. Equal parts shooter and playmaker - he does everything. Incredible vision and a laser of a shot, with almost no windup.

Best young player in the game.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2024, 05:57 PM   #8
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I thought they looked super gassed in the second/third quarters last night. Sanderson made a few substitutions from Friday but it seemed like our key guys were worn out on back to back games. They played a decent game but Toronto is just a really good squad. I also think there is some adjustment to Sanderson, I think Malawsky may have had them better prepared.

That one power play in the third (I think) last night was maddening. The Rock just moved the ball around short handed in our end at will for basically the full two minutes.

I like the addition of Inacio, we are stronger on faceoffs than last season. Hoggarth looks good too.

Teat is a talented player for sure, never sure what to think of him after the unexplained nonsense at the Minto.
Old 02-04-2024, 06:41 PM   #9
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Teat was simply incredible to watch on Friday...first time I have seen him live. If it wasn't for him and some good goaltending, the Necks might have one that game even though they didn't play well.
Last night the Rock were for sure the better team, and I think the Necks looked tired at the end, not getting in the middle much during set plays.
The team for sure could have a better record...I was at the game they won in Vancouver, and that wasn't a fluke, they dominated.
Hopefully it will be a different result in Hamilton next week, cause I am making the trek east for the game.
Old 02-25-2024, 08:32 PM   #10
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Three wins in a row, looked very poised against the Wings last night. That Thunderbirds game was ridiculous, so many misconducts.

Anyone know what happened to Salama? Hasn't been in the lineup for a couple games, NLL site says injured reserve but nothing from the Roughnecks.
Old 02-26-2024, 10:01 AM   #11
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

NLL/Roughnecks are terrible at letting fans know about injury status. I assume Van Schepan is hurt as well from the Halifax game?
Old 02-26-2024, 02:46 PM   #12
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

From the pregame story in the Herald this week:

Roughnecks assistant captain and star defender Eli Salama will miss his third straight game due to injury (lower body) … Also out now for the Riggers is D Seth Van Schepen (upper body) … NLL veteran F Logan Schuss (MCL/ACL), who has yet to play for his new club, remains out, as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Julio For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2024, 04:46 PM   #13
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Schuss may be close to returning. Dan Taylor would probably be the guy that comes out of the line-up but he had probably his best game as a Roughneck on Saturday, with 4 goals, 3 in the 4th Q.

Schuss is a very good player, but that side has King, Cook and Taylor all playing well.
Maybe the dress 7F and work him in slowly when he's ready.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2024, 10:05 PM   #14
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know if Roughnecks face-off guy needs to practice a bit more but he destroyed today by the Albany guy. I don't know what the final numbers were but it had to be upwards of 80% for Albany.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 04:08 PM   #15
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I don't know if Roughnecks face-off guy needs to practice a bit more but he destroyed today by the Albany guy. I don't know what the final numbers were but it had to be upwards of 80% for Albany.

Roughnecks regular faceoff guy is injured, so they just had almost random guys in to take faceoffs last night. Eli Salama, who took the faceoff in OT, had prior to this year only took one faceoff in NLL play.
Old 03-23-2024, 07:00 PM   #16
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

great win but lucky when you lose that many draws, Used to love watching Snider take draws, guy was dominant
Old 03-23-2024, 07:04 PM   #17
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Inacio was drafted to be their face off guy and he will be very good but he has to adjust a bit to the box game. But he will get there
Old 03-23-2024, 07:05 PM   #18
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Statistically there is also very little correlation between face offs wins and winning games
Where it matters though is in those crucial moments like overtime where you want that first possession
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2024, 08:07 PM   #19
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Inacio was drafted to be their face off guy and he will be very good but he has to adjust a bit to the box game. But he will get there

He's also on the IR as of March 8.