Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2021, 10:53 AM   #8701
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
Mackinnon at the very least?? So at the very least, he’d be one of, if not the best players in the game today. At the very least.
There is no scenario you can dream up where Eichel gets as good as MacKinnon. That’s not to say he isn’t one of the most elite forwards in the game. But he’s no MacKinnon.
Old 03-07-2021, 11:03 AM   #8702
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
There is no scenario you can dream up where Eichel gets as good as MacKinnon. That’s not to say he isn’t one of the most elite forwards in the game. But he’s no MacKinnon.
Mackinnon found another level in his 5th season. It looked like Eichel was doing the same last year, but has regressed a little this season.
Hard to figure out what is going on in Buffalo. Look at what's happening with Rasmus Dahlin too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2021, 11:15 AM   #8703
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
BUF has never had a goalie and the D is just a mess. Some decent d-men, but everyone is playing at least 1 slot above ideal.
And what does this have to do with Eichel and Eichel being a better player? Connor McDavid, who people believe Eichel is in the same strata, hasn't complained about crap defense or bad goaltending as he ripped apart the NHL on the offensive side of the puck. As bad as the Oilers are, being outscored year-after-year, McDavid has been a minus player only twice in his career. The guy is +51 playing on the Edmonton Oilers and has made guys like Chaisson and Kassian passable first line players. Eichel? He's -69 and has made no one look good. If Eichel is half the player people suggest, he should be dominating while he's on the ice, not being dominated.
Old 03-07-2021, 11:28 AM   #8704
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Sam Bennett is trending on twitter. Got all excited for some news. Alas, its some cyclist that's trending.
Old 03-07-2021, 11:46 AM   #8705
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
And what does this have to do with Eichel and Eichel being a better player? Connor McDavid, who people believe Eichel is in the same strata, hasn't complained about crap defense or bad goaltending as he ripped apart the NHL on the offensive side of the puck. As bad as the Oilers are, being outscored year-after-year, McDavid has been a minus player only twice in his career. The guy is +51 playing on the Edmonton Oilers and has made guys like Chaisson and Kassian passable first line players. Eichel? He's -69 and has made no one look good. If Eichel is half the player people suggest, he should be dominating while he's on the ice, not being dominated.
I’m not suggesting Eichel is as good as McDavid but I think sometimes as Flames fans we exaggerate how bad the oilers are. Draisaitl is hands down better than any player that Eichel plays with. He’s probably better than Eichel

I also look as an example at Doughty. Once considered maybe the best dman in the nhl and put up huge numbers was minus 50 in the last 2 seasons. Did he forget how to play? Or is playing on a very bad team hard to dominate? The kings seem to be improving and doughty all of a sudden remembered how to play hockey again as his numbers are off the charts good again

If the Flames can add Eichel maybe we shouldn’t offer the farm but he is more of a franchise player than anyone we have. His plus minus shouldn’t stop treliving from making a offer to get him

Last edited by Macho0978; 03-07-2021 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-07-2021, 11:51 AM   #8706
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
As much as I hate McDavid mainly cause he's an Oiler and he's so good you have a very good point here. One could easily argue that Eichel has had a much better supporting cast to work with (other than Draisatl) than McDavid has had in his career. I agree Eichel isn't in the same category as McDavid but he's better than anyone we have on the Flames by a long shot...
Old 03-07-2021, 12:52 PM   #8707
Dienasty
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
And I would argue that Eichel is not the sum of his parts. Those wingers you listed have all been quality players elsewhere (with the exception of Reinhart) but haven't done much with Eichel. Is that on them, or also on Eichel? Every time I watch him I don't come away impressed, especially when he's being paid $10M a season. He should be elevating the talent around him for that kind of coin, and he does not elevate the talent that plays with him. Yes, he's skilled with the puck, but he is not good at making his line or team better. And yes, he is brutal in the faceoff dot. I would not be inclined to believe he lives up to the hype and become McEichel here, which is what the fans really hope for. They want someone flashy like McHobo and don't give a #### about the outcome.

TBH, this whole scenario reminds me of the days when the Oilers had Gretzky and the Flames had a rag-tag bunch of no bodies. The fans had such a hard on for finding a center that was as flashy and productive as Gretzky, not recognizing that we had the better "team." I like the talent on the roster right now and think they just need to be managed right. I don't think they need a McHobo as the cost of that player and the escalation of contracts of anyone who plays with him pretty well makes the rest of the team terrible. If this team is focused we know it can be one of the top teams in the NHL. It is unfortunate we've wasted years of good contracts while going with inexperienced or bargain bin coaches.
Did you miss Skinners career year? Goes to sign a huge deal and looks like he has given up.
Okposo had healthy issues no one wanted to touch... buffalo being desperate signed him anyways...
Kane was a cancer in Winnipeg, he looked uninterested in Buffalo

Sorry I dont think the "he doesnt elevate other players" argument holds weight. How good is olofsson without eichel?

O'Reilly is an interesting case study there... seems he regressed significantly after going to buffalo even saying he lost the drive to play. Players going to buffalo to die is an organization issue, not an eichel issue.

Even McDavid couldnt carry a franchise to playoffs until they added some pieces.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dienasty For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2021, 12:53 PM   #8708
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Flames_Fan View Post
As much as I hate McDavid mainly cause he's an Oiler and he's so good you have a very good point here. One could easily argue that Eichel has had a much better supporting cast to work with (other than Draisatl) than McDavid has had in his career. I agree Eichel isn't in the same category as McDavid but he's better than anyone we have on the Flames by a long shot...
Except he isn't. Nothing points to him being a better player than anything we have on our roster. Jesus, if one of our guys produced at that clip but was that big a defensive liability he would be run out of town on a rail. This grass is always greener stuff is usually bull####. If a guy plays one way on one team he usually plays that way on the next one. Very seldom do you make a trade where a guy dramatically improves or his game changes. Unless you are trading futures (picks and prospects) when you make a trade you are trading for the player you know, not the player you hope the guy turns into.
Old 03-07-2021, 02:35 PM   #8709
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dienasty View Post
Did you miss Skinners career year? Goes to sign a huge deal and looks like he has given up.
Okposo had healthy issues no one wanted to touch... buffalo being desperate signed him anyways...
Kane was a cancer in Winnipeg, he looked uninterested in Buffalo
Uh huh. So shouldn't Eichel have had them build on their success elsewhere and not go the other way? Yeah, there's something wrong in Buffalo. Maybe it's their "franchise player" isn't that franchise after all?

Quote:
Sorry I dont think the "he doesnt elevate other players" argument holds weight. How good is olofsson without eichel?
Pretty damn good? Has been a very good player at every level he's played at. 27 goals in 50 games for Frolunda. 30 goals in 66 AHL games for Rochester. 20 goals in his rookie season in Buffalo.

Quote:
O'Reilly is an interesting case study there... seems he regressed significantly after going to buffalo even saying he lost the drive to play. Players going to buffalo to die is an organization issue, not an eichel issue.
Yes, O'Reilly is an interesting case study. O'Reilly's career year prior to the move to Buffalo was 28 goals and 64 points, with an average year (discounting rookie and sophomore seasons of 26 points and his 2012-13 20 point season) being 58 points. Once he moved to Buffalo his goal production took a small drop from his career year, but was almost identical to his average in Colorado (21 goals) and points (58). When he went to St. Louis he had his career year of 28 goals and 77 points, but he's been between a 65-70 point player since that high. And all that took was going to a Stanley Cup winning team laden with talented players. His big jump wasn't that unexpected IMO, not when you have guys like Tarasenko, Schenn, Perron, Bozek, Schwartz, Pietrangelo, Parayko, Bouwmeester, and on and on. Could we expect the same result if Eichel came to Calgary, especially after having to off load the roster players needed to make the deal? Then again, the Sabres took a bag of crap for O'Reilly, so maybe the hit wouldn't be that bad... after the cap considerations are worked out. If we could get him for the equivalent of Backlund, Ryan, Pellettier/Zary, and a 1st, then more power to the Flames. But if the cost is Tkachuk, Monahan, a prospect, and a 1st, that's a big loss for the Flames and the talent isn't there to replicate the O'Reilly bounce.

Quote:
Even McDavid couldnt carry a franchise to playoffs until they added some pieces.
Yes, but McHobo has ripped this league apart offensively. Eichel hasn't even been close. Jesus, he's 150+ points behind McHobo! And the talent level that Eichel has had to work with in Buffalo hasn't been that bad. Something is wrong there, no doubt, but Eichel should not be given a pass in that mess. He's supposedly some franchise player, well be one and make your team better.
Old 03-07-2021, 02:36 PM   #8710
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
For an experiment drop Monahan as Gaudreau's center and think of a player that's a natural center with speed.

Spoiler!
I don’t know if Dube is ready for the center role yet. He’s not the strongest guy on his skates nor is he very strong on the puck. I still see him getting easily pushed around compared to say a Mangiapane. Maybe when Dube gets that man strength and can start shielding the puck better against bigger centers, then i think he’ll have a shot playing up the middle.
Old 03-07-2021, 02:51 PM   #8711
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Except he isn't. Nothing points to him being a better player than anything we have on our roster. Jesus, if one of our guys produced at that clip but was that big a defensive liability he would be run out of town on a rail. This grass is always greener stuff is usually bull####. If a guy plays one way on one team he usually plays that way on the next one. Very seldom do you make a trade where a guy dramatically improves or his game changes. Unless you are trading futures (picks and prospects) when you make a trade you are trading for the player you know, not the player you hope the guy turns into.
You think Eichel is no better than Johnny , monahan , or Tkachuk? Think your out to lunch.
The Following User Says Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2021, 03:04 PM   #8712
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Have you ever seen Jack Eichel play? This guy would easily be the #1 center on the Flames. He has the ability to make something out of nothing, the ability to create his own shot and it’s an excellent shot too. Flames’ centers on the otherhand require their best playmakers who happen to be wingers (Gaudreau, Tkachuk) to produce. I think Eichel would be right up there with Mackinnon if he could just stay healthy. The difference isn’t really his even strength scoring, it’s his powerplay points that doesn’t measure up. McDavid and Draisaitl make hay on the PP and are at the top tier 5 on 4, Mackinnon falls into the next tier and then Jack Eichel probably drops another tier. Personally, I think Gaudreau and Eichel together would be magic on the ice at all strengths and both would help elevate eachother.
The Following User Says Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2021, 03:04 PM   #8713
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Eichel is mailing it in again so he's clearly not at his best right now. But when he is on he's really dynamic offensively but pretty bad defensively. My main problem is him quitting again on the team, not a very good sign.
Old 03-07-2021, 03:04 PM   #8714
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
You think Eichel is no better than Johnny , monahan , or Tkachuk? Think your out to lunch.
When somebody is so far off the rocker you just gotta laugh. This guy doesn't have a clue.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CGY12 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2021, 03:13 PM   #8715
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Read an article that said victor arvidson of the predators might be available. Think he would fit nicely on the mony line. He is a bit small though.
Old 03-07-2021, 03:21 PM   #8716
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Eichel may not win any Selke's, but is he really any worse than Johnny defensively?

FWIW his last 3 years +/- were: -9, +5, -11.

Young Jack got his caved in for -54 in his first 3 seasons, but age 24-26 ROR was -40 those same years. And then won the Selke and Conn Smythe the next year.

There is something in the water in BUF.
Old 03-07-2021, 03:22 PM   #8717
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

using +/- to evaluate players lol

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 03-07-2021, 03:24 PM   #8718
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post

Trades to make the fans happy.

To Buffalo: Tkachuk, Monahan, Pelletier, 2021 1st rounder ($13.375M)
To Calgary: Eichel, Montour ($13.875M)

To Nashville: Gaudreau, Kylington, Simon, 2nd in 2021 ($8.24M)
To Calgary: Forsberg, Borowiecki ($8M)

To Boston: Hanifin, Robinson, 3rd in 2021 ($5.65M)
to Calgary: DeBrusk, Kase ($6.275M)

Out: Tkachuk, Monahan, Gaudreau, Simon, Robinson, Kylington, Hanifin ($27.265M)
In: Eichel, Forsberg, DeBrusk, Kase, Borowiecki, Montour ($28.15M)

Forsberg-Eichel-Lindholm
Debrusk-Backlund-Mangiapane
Lucic-Bennett-Dube
Nordstrom-Ryan-Ritchie
Kase (IR)

Giordano-Anderson
Valimaki-Tanev
Boroweicki-Montour
Nesterov

Not sure the team is any better, but it is different and has a "game breaker" on it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2021, 03:28 PM   #8719
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

You're throw ins of Pelletier and Kylington irks me. Kase has not been good this season, when playing. I think he could be had for a third and sending Nordstrom back home.
Old 03-07-2021, 03:36 PM   #8720
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
You're throw ins of Pelletier and Kylington irks me. Kase has not been good this season, when playing. I think he could be had for a third and sending Nordstrom back home.
They aren't throw ins. They are important pieces to make deals work. You have to give to get, and since our players are total #### and the other team's players are superstars you you have give until it really hurts. That is what I believe the deals would take, based on the projections of our players by our fans. Plus, you have to even out salaries to make deals work. Cap hits count just as much as player value these days, sometimes more.

BTW... real good catch on Kase "not being good" this season. He's been on IR for the majority of the season, having played two games. He's in there to balance out cap hits.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread