Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2021, 10:20 AM   #401
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
What is Josh Leivo exactly? I haven't followed his career much except for a bit when he was with the Marlies.

What is he supposed to bring?
Leivo's a guy that contributes corsi and not much else IMO

Austin Czarnik's twin?
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:21 AM   #402
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
But they’ve been lacking at a bigger position as well, so that’s what Treliving focussed on this off season. Plus he had a D hole to fill that was more important as well.
I agree with that for this last offseason, it's the whole season and off season before that when addressing the problem would have been sooooo much easier.

Not much can be done now with the Covid, so let's hope Sutter has a plan for how to use this current lineup
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:29 AM   #403
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
So a jack of all trades, master of none?

Sounds like a third-liner at best, then?
Well yeah....thats what you get with 800K players.

He looks like he is starting to come around to me, and i will take him on that top line 10 out of 10 times compared to Bennett, but he is being asked to play at a level than his skill set would suggest he shouldn't be. That goal the other night was a beauty and showed there is something there....just how much we dont know.

Value wise, (again compared to Stan because there really isnt anyone else to compare him to) he is a bargain when contracts are figured in.

Its funny anyone would look at points to make a case for either guy but when you do, Leivo has one fewer....in 44 minutes of less ice time. Neither guy can be happy with their production however.

But when you compare them defensively? No contest.

This team still needs a real RS/RW who doesnt have be a 25G 70pt guy but who can steady that spot. Its been an issue since Hudler left but was masked for a while by Lindholm...who is not a RW.

Just one of the many holes on this club. Some will be fixed by the task master from within that room, but he cant make wine out of water.
Old 03-07-2021, 10:31 AM   #404
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames are scared of McDavid, it’s as simple as that. They fear him and give him too much respect. They need to stop that and just treat him like how every other team treats our star players.

There was a point when Gaudreau was scary to the oppposition. Then they figured out that if they continually hack and wack him and rough him up, they could slow or neutralize him.

How did Bob Johnson “slow down” Gretzky? The same way. You can’t give star players any respect. We’ve got the toughest guy in the league on the roster and now the toughest coach, no player in this team should be scared of roughing McDavid up any chance they get. The opposition targets and hacks Gaudreaus hands, Flames should be hacking and targeting McDavids ankles, lets see how fast he skates then. And Gio, don’t f’n apologize to him after you drive him into the post. Laugh at him and tell him that will happen every time he tries that.

Flames need to get into HIS head!

Last edited by 868904; 03-07-2021 at 10:33 AM.
868904 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 868904 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2021, 10:32 AM   #405
krynski
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
People who whine about the PBP people or color commentators, men, women, different ethnic background or not, are simply the worst.

First world ####ing problems.

Grow up and shut the #### up, you're a child bitching about childish things. Watch the hockey game and enjoy the privileges you have to be able to do that. There are an imaginable amount of people in the world, to you, that will never have that privilege you selfish brats.

Good night.
Pointing out that the quality of the broadcast group that is sub-par is an absolutely valid concern. The Calgary Flames operate in a Canadian market. We have expectations that are a step above the average US NHL broadcast market quality, because our market is bigger.

I have nothing against Cassie. I think she got into an industry which was dominated by white men, and that is absolutely fantastic. She did very well, and deserved everything every step of the way. She is a role model for every Canadian with what she has been able to accomplish.

Simply put, last night was not her best. She has done better.
krynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:35 AM   #406
Rollin22x
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I saw it differently. After the Oilers made it 1-1 they resonded well as opposed to foling like they did in the past.

They played a good 60 minutes of hockey but got beat by one player and one player only. Hard to fault them for their efforts.
Watch the game again and compare the passes and breakout from the first period to the third period. In the first, they had options for a pass and moved the puck quickly. In the third the options were garbage and then we started to see bad choices, Hail Marys or passes way off the mark when they were pressured. The Flames stopped skating to create good passing options. Lucic completely stopped skating on Yamamotos goal. They looked out of shape in the third which makes think that Ward was running soft practices.
Rollin22x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:38 AM   #407
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin22x View Post
They looked out of shape in the third which makes think that Ward was running soft practices.
Music playing and beach ball soccer is how every serious championship team practices isn't it? How could that possibly go wrong?
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:39 AM   #408
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I’ve been begging all year for Dube on that line. Fast, defensively responsible, great shot, not afraid to dig, relatively creative. Not big, but feisty enough. It’s not like the Lindholm line is really gelling anyway.

If you just want a big guy with decent speed and who will hit the corners hard - Ritchie.

Or you could go Tkachuk-Monahan-Dube, Gaudreau-Lindholm-Mangiapane, Lucic-Backlund-Bennett/Leivo, Nordstrom-Ryan-Ritchie

Or, and hear me out - Gaudreau-Lindholm-Lucic. No more liberties with Johnny, and Lucic is quite decent in the puck battles, and near the net. It’s not like he has zero offence.
I like Dillon Dube. I do.

I think he'll get there ... he would have gotten there anyway, but I like him to pop with Sutter as a coach.

But at this point he's just not that defensively sound. His lines .... who ever he plays with it seems ... get outplayed routinely.

For Calgary forwards (13 over 50 minutes) he's
10th for CA60
13th for SA60
11th for GA60
12th for xGA60

So shot volume he's on the wrong side of it all the time.

His numbers are better when it comes to scoring chances against though.

I just don't know if he's the kind of guy that can bail out 23/13 defensively at this point in his career.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2021, 10:43 AM   #409
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin22x View Post
Watch the game again and compare the passes and breakout from the first period to the third period. In the first, they had options for a pass and moved the puck quickly. In the third the options were garbage and then we started to see bad choices, Hail Marys or passes way off the mark when they were pressured. The Flames stopped skating to create good passing options. Lucic completely stopped skating on Yamamotos goal. They looked out of shape in the third which makes think that Ward was running soft practices.
Or not mentally strong.

There wasn't any change to a break out or a system with Sutter having a day from 400 km away to zoom the players.

They were ready to go in the first so everyone was moving their feet, and with that there were options and they were playing fast.

When the got up a goal they went into a shell, and stopped moving their feet and went back to the slow team we've seen all year.

Nothing about that is a system to me ... it's a group of fragile players that can't handle pressure points in games.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2021, 10:49 AM   #410
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1368618563351764997
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Yoho For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2021, 10:50 AM   #411
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Let's not be bitter losers like Oiler fans.
We are entitled to our bitterness. The Oilers, on the other hand, have won four draft lotteries

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2021, 10:50 AM   #412
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
Where would Flames be without Markstrom?
True, but the Flames also clearly aren't a great team. Average & inconsistent. Oilers meanwhile are supposedly Cup contenders (if you ask their always overconfident fanbase & media), but are clearly just being dragged along by 2 players. Tough to go deep that way, like they're expecting to
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:50 AM   #413
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

This thread has been a ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I just saw this post.

What an astonishing take.

So to be clear here...

One cannot be critical of a womans performance/abilities and come to a certain conclusion of those abilities....without being "another old white man"?

Geez...that seems like something a racist/bigot would say.

Basing someones abilities to assess THEIR own experiences with a broadcaster on either their age and/or skin color?

Fascinating.
This is pretty hilarious, given that the person who was being responded to said Cassie only has her job because she’s a woman, a position that person later admitted they should not have taken. There are few things funnier than someone making a post like “just so I understand this, (insert dumbest possible take that misses the point), fascinating!”

Criticising a broadcaster? Go nuts. But Cassie doesn’t deserve the suggestion that she only has her job because she’s a woman, or the people asking to see her qualifications. Does Bieksa have qualifications to be a broadcaster? Should we ask to see Warrener’s radio qualifications? Lots of dumb around this conversation, and posts like this just make it dumber.

Old white men lose their keys scrambling to pull the racist card when someone says the words “old white men,” which I mean, fair enough, but it looks a little stupid taking issue with that over blatant sexism. If even the person who made the comment can walk it back and realise it wasn’t called for, it shouldn’t be so hard for you. No need to play pretend victim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ArmBands View Post
I mean McDavid is such an X factor you’re almost going to lose no matter what you do... I just struggle with letting the best player in the world walk inside the dot and take a shot at that point in the game. Rasmus totally screened Markstrom.

Yes the shot was perfectly placed... but ofcourse it was.

Give him time and space which is what Rasmus did - you get burned.
I’ve seen this a few times and I have to disagree. The shot hit two posts to go in. Not even McDavid is that good. It was a lucky shot that took (two) great bounces. Hard to fault anyone for it at all. Would be nice if Markstrom had it, would be nice if Andersson stopped him from taking it. But it’s McDavid. He’s going to get shots off, they are going to go towards the net. If that shot hits a cm to the right initially or a cm to the left on the bounce, we’re not even talking about it.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2021, 10:51 AM   #414
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
These SN women need to get a room with McDavid already.
He is single handedly beating us. It's embarassing and he's unreal. Don't hate cuz we can't duplicate
Old 03-07-2021, 10:53 AM   #415
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

13-23-10
19-28-29
17-11-88
20-93-24

13-23-29
19-28-93
17-11-88
20-10-24
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 11:04 AM   #416
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that the odds are pretty good that Sutter breaks up Gaudreau and Monahan 5v5, and reunites them for PP. If you're looking to augment a line defensively for Johnny, then Gaudreau-Lindholm makes sense, and the few times that we have seen it in the past Tkachuk-Monahan has looked good.
Old 03-07-2021, 11:10 AM   #417
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
13-23-10
19-28-29
17-11-88
20-93-24

13-23-29
19-28-93
17-11-88
20-10-24
Not sure whose measurements those are, but I feel like some of them would be dead and others highly illegal.

Last edited by FanIn80; 03-07-2021 at 12:07 PM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 11:55 AM   #418
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Guns View Post
Gaudreau - Game got physical and his line almost feels like it’s short handed at times. He beats everyone to the puck but as soon as it looks like he may get touched he stops short, extends his stick as far as possible and swings for the fences. When the goalie was pulled with a minute left in the game he would rather allow the Oilers to get the puck and Shoot it at the empty net than risk taking any contact. The other team just has to look at him the wrong way and he coughs it up.
The commentators keep talking about how good defensively he is this year but I just don’t see it. He won’t go into the dirty areas, rather hangs back and let’s his line mates do the work. Same in the offensive zone, no idea why anyone dumps the puck in and expects Johnny to race into the corner and fight for the puck because he won’t.
He is our best player but this is one of the main reason this team cannot win in the playoffs. Not willing to sacrifice in order to win.
Hate to say it but see Patrick Kane.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 12:01 PM   #419
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Flames have to play McDavid much harder and close quicker and take away his time and space. Yeah, easy to say from my keyboard but its pretty obvious they are giving him way too much room to operate. I loved Rasmus getting in his face last night. He's a beauty....need much more of that. And Draisatl needs to answer for all his hacks and whacks on Johnny and general ######baggery but there will be a time for that. These next 4 games against Habs, and Greasebags are huuuuuuge!!!!! (understatement of the year)
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 12:10 PM   #420
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Hate to say it but see Patrick Kane.

Not sure his downsides are as prominent, and even if they are, Kane’s offence is far more consistent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote