Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2020, 08:40 AM   #1141
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
The Switch is a monster. It easily overran the Xbone in a lot less time. Great little system.
Except for the joycons. I've been holding out on getting a Switch until they release a new revision with a bit more power and better controls
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2020, 10:20 AM   #1142
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Except for the joycons. I've been holding out on getting a Switch until they release a new revision with a bit more power and better controls
Ugh, no kidding. Just sent my second set in for repair this week. Just a brutal, cheaply made controller that they somehow want $100 for? My biggest complaint with the system by far and it's mind bottling that they haven't fixed it yet.
Old 12-11-2020, 12:53 PM   #1143
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
In the spirit of the Thunderdome, first sales numbers are out and PS5 dominated. Xbox Series debuted lower than Xbox One did in 2013.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1337401060298723328
No shocking results there I suppose (the Switch numbers maybe?). I can't find the tidbit about Series X and S debuting lower than the XB1 in any of the articles though.

MS has also come out and said this was their biggest console launch ever, and that they sold more units in 24 hours than in any prior 24 hour period in their history. The numbers from NPD are US-only for November, so I guess MS must mean globally?
Old 12-11-2020, 01:08 PM   #1144
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's also just no way Microsoft was ever going to sell close to Sony in this launch window.

Sony had some high profile exclusives in Demon's Souls (large hardcore gamer appeal), and Spider-Man (huge general population appeal) - both of which "hit". Add in the momentum gained last generation, I'm not sure how Microsoft was going to gain any ground during this launch window.

Microsoft had zero high profile launches to go with this console launch - so where would they be drawing in customers that they didn't already have?

The more important metric for Microsoft though is GamePass Ultimate. Their market growth is likely to see gains a bit more significantly in the first half of 2021 when X Cloud launches on iOS and PC. Also, they freaking own Bethesda - and they'll leverage the hell out of that going forward to pull people into their ecosystem.

Last edited by ComixZone; 12-11-2020 at 01:22 PM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 02:20 PM   #1145
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

It sure feels like both new consoles have been much more scarce at launch compared to last gen so I'm curious how Sony or Microsoft could tout sales records of any sort.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2020, 02:34 PM   #1146
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

XXX on amazon

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/offer-listing/B08H75RTZ8
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 03:19 PM   #1147
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

The thing that I think is interesting is that people have felt like Series X has had more stock than PS5 just since it’s been a litttle easier to find

But based on this that doesn’t appear to be true. Actually more PS5 inventory out there, just doesn’t last more than a minute usually.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 03:42 PM   #1148
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know I would have tried to get a Series X at launch had they not decided to release all of their exclusives on PC.

The only Game Pass game that I don't have installed on my PC......Untitled Goose Game.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 03:45 PM   #1149
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
I know I would have tried to get a Series X at launch had they not decided to release all of their exclusives on PC.

The only Game Pass game that I don't have installed on my PC......Untitled Goose Game.
Yeah, once I got that 3080 it made no sense to get an xbox x or s. Even with the old 1080ti and gsync, I likely would have been fine.
Old 12-11-2020, 03:46 PM   #1150
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post

Untitled Goose Game is a good game!
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2020, 03:51 PM   #1151
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Untitled Goose Game is a good game!
Yeah, it's pretty funny. I can't download it on Game Pass PC though so I have to play it on my Xbox One. Every other game that I cant play on Game Pass PC I either already have or really don't have any interest in playing.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 02:15 AM   #1152
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am actually loving my Series X (fast, quiet, ect.) but it still boggles my mind that they launched this thing with almost no games! I know there are some patches for old games but its kinda crazy to me. With all the money they are throwing around they should have made sure they had a couple heavy hitters like the PS5.
Old 12-12-2020, 01:49 PM   #1153
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
I am actually loving my Series X (fast, quiet, ect.) but it still boggles my mind that they launched this thing with almost no games! I know there are some patches for old games but its kinda crazy to me. With all the money they are throwing around they should have made sure they had a couple heavy hitters like the PS5.
Hahaha, this is me too. I'm just playing some of the old games from Game Pass. It's super weird that Microsoft didn't have something first party. Most of everything is just new old stuff.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 06:57 PM   #1154
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
LOL at the Switch being the top selling console in November. Looks like it was just a supply issue for XBOX and PlayStation, but I love how a 4 year old console beat out both of them.
PS5 could have sold 20x what they did...people are selling at double retail without lifting a finger. SDM was selling switches for $250 worth of points...there are hundreds of them on Kijiji NIB for under retail price.
Old 12-12-2020, 10:53 PM   #1155
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Sorry if this is a stupid question or has already been inferred in this mega thread but did Microsoft and PS5 purposefully restrict enough manufacturing to generate “buzz” by having not enough or are they just that stupid?
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 11:08 PM   #1156
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Sorry if this is a stupid question or has already been inferred in this mega thread but did Microsoft and PS5 purposefully restrict enough manufacturing to generate “buzz” by having not enough or are they just that stupid?
Didn't Sony and Microsoft have their largest console launch numbers ever (PS4 and Xbone included)? Nevermind in the middle of a global pandemic and the greatest supply chain disruption the world has ever seen? Considering the comparative disastrous launch by Nvidia and AMD recently, seems like they both did pretty well all things considered.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2020, 02:31 PM   #1157
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

Trying to help a friend out here for his children. Any leads on another Xbox Series X drop before Christmas?

YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 11:07 AM   #1158
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1338908206781755392
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2020, 11:19 AM   #1159
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
I personally believe Nintendo is guilty of this at times but Microsoft and Sony are pumping out these consoles as fast as possible as neither wants to lose sales to the other due to unavailability.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2020, 11:27 AM   #1160
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I think the big thing is just the demand seems to be elevated this year - likely due to the pandemic.

Inventory numbers are higher than what was available for PS4 and XBox One, but these seem to be way harder to get a hold of.

Hell you can barely get the DualSense charging station, let alone the actual system. I saw somebody on Facebook Marketplace trying to scalp the charging station for $85 today. Just ridiculous.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 12-15-2020 at 11:34 AM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote