Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2024, 02:56 PM   #1
Hsquared75
Draft Pick

Default Kids in hockey

Hello!
Long time lurker, first time poster here.
I just wanted to ask this forum with its vast knowledge about some recommendation regarding these power skating lessons/ summer camps.
My kid is 8 years old. After showing sudden interest in hockey about a year ago, we decided to put him in House League. He is having an amazing time, making friends, and already showing a lot of improvement. We are more than happy with that.
We just wanted to get a little bit of training done between seasons, like just learn to skate better and maybe have some fun shooting the puck around the rink. But every time I go online, there are these amazing sounding, (perhaps a little too) intense camps and power skating camps.
So I am hoping for some advice as to where might be a good place that would help him be a little bit better, without the pressure like they are being trained to be drafted by the NHL in the summer time.
Thanks in advance!!
Hsquared75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 03:07 PM   #2
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well...I should preface this with...I can barely skate.

Where do you live?

I worked at both the Trico Centre and Southland Leisure centre (many...many moons ago) and they offer power skating lessons.

I obviously couldnt tell you if they're any good or not.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 03:15 PM   #3
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

It’s never too early to teach him about consent.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 03:16 PM   #4
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

my son is also 8. we've put him in power skating the last couple summers and it has really helped him a ton to be confident on his skates. i totally recommend it! he is definitely one of the stronger skaters on his team.

i can't give you much advice on where to enroll him, unless you are in kelowna, but from 'location' i'm assuming you are in calgary.
Old 02-05-2024, 03:21 PM   #5
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Power skating camps are fantastic. Any time you can spend doing edge work will help with the enjoyment on the ice. There are a ton of different offerings around the city.

Personally, I did adult skill development with Tucker Hockey, I know they offer camps for minor aged players as well. The best bet would be to reach out to some of these companies and explain what you are looking for. Some sort of stickhandling/powerskating combo would likely be the best.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 03:35 PM   #6
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I wouldn't get drawn in by the expensive, flashy camps like Serdachny. For more advanced instruction, there may be a benefit to paying more for a camp with a lower student:instructor ratio, but at that age, any ice time is beneficial.

Where in the City are you? I would just pick something that is relatively convenient and not obscenely expensive.
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 03:37 PM   #7
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
It’s never too early to teach him about consent.
Or about putting 'hush money' aside.

Its a bad time in hockey.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 03:45 PM   #8
hah
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Consider getting your child power or figure skating lessons.

Enroll them in a 3 on 3 league, if available at mini rinks such as Bonavista or Hockey Hub. If Mickey still runs Pinnacle Hockey Development, that would be a good option too.

I was very impressed the first time I saw the Serdachney camp where one of my kids attended.

If my kids were doing over, I would do figure skating and 3 on 3.
Old 02-05-2024, 03:47 PM   #9
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

make sure he/she plays other sports too

kids play too much hockey, make them miss it and develop other skills
Old 02-05-2024, 03:50 PM   #10
Hsquared75
Draft Pick

Thanks for the response so far.
For reference, i do live in Calgary, SW to be exact and very close to Trico, Southland Leisure Centre and Cardel Rec.
I enrolled him in a power skating class last summer, knowing that he was going to be in house league. That class looked fun for him.
Then I enrolled with the same company for a 5 day summer camp (mostly because he just had way too much time and energy at home.. ). He said he had a great time. But when I did stay a bit after dropping him off, those kids were so much better than him.
I don't care about the comparison, but it's more that I feel like I'm spending good money on him for minimum returns. Like these camps drill the kids, which is great! IF you already know the basic to work with. At least that's the feeling I got.
But googling for a company is just so overwhelming here
Old 02-05-2024, 03:52 PM   #11
Hsquared75
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
make sure he/she plays other sports too

kids play too much hockey, make them miss it and develop other skills
Definitely. My only aim for him playing hockey is when he's older, if his friends wants to jump on the community ice and shoot the puck, he can have some fun. of maybe join a beer league
The Following User Says Thank You to Hsquared75 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2024, 11:08 PM   #12
nomad
Backup Goalie

Exp:

My kid really enjoyed the winsport summer hockey camps. In addition to hockey they participate in various other sports/activities.
nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 03:45 AM   #13
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

This statement was told to me by a former flames great.

"summer hockey schools, power skating classes are fine I guess, but for the young kids nothing beats time on ice just skating, and without a stick, never develop a young kids skating with a stick in his hands"
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 02:46 PM   #14
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsquared75 View Post
Definitely. My only aim for him playing hockey is when he's older, if his friends wants to jump on the community ice and shoot the puck, he can have some fun. of maybe join a beer league

Try Breakaway, the offer camps in the south. Is Southwest your hockey association? Do they offer a spring 3 on 3 or something similar? We are with the knights and they offer something like that.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 08:36 AM   #15
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Highly recommend the power skating that CalAlta Figure skating puts on at Rose Kohn arena. It is geared toward hockey and ringette. The instructors are actually professionals. I really found the city programs very disappointing, especially at southland leisure. They were ran by teenagers that were obviously just running through books of drills.

My kid is 12 now. We did Timbits, and then house league for U9 and U11, we are in community now (because house ends at u11, and you have to transition into rec league which is all over). The schedule of house league is awesome and the parents are pretty chill for the most part. But you don't get as much ice time as community so a power skating program will be a good addition.
gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gasman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2024, 08:46 AM   #16
hixxes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Highly recommend CalAlta as well.

Also agree that for the little beginners, "play with friends" without sticks on an ODR will do more to get them moving than anything.
To be shot down in Flames!

hixxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 10:00 AM   #17
moncton golden flames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Don't rule out a simple pair of roller blades and a green biscuit!

I played high level my whole life and a great skater. I've taken power skating and figure skating classes, but some of my biggest skating improvements have come from roller blades.

It also allows for 'anytime' training rather than a time limit on expensive ice times.

Maybe it's a supplement to skating lessons, but don't ignore the option.

moncton golden flames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to moncton golden flames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2024, 10:02 AM   #18
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsquared75 View Post
Thanks for the response so far.
For reference, i do live in Calgary, SW to be exact and very close to Trico, Southland Leisure Centre and Cardel Rec.
I enrolled him in a power skating class last summer, knowing that he was going to be in house league. That class looked fun for him.
Then I enrolled with the same company for a 5 day summer camp (mostly because he just had way too much time and energy at home.. ). He said he had a great time. But when I did stay a bit after dropping him off, those kids were so much better than him.
I don't care about the comparison, but it's more that I feel like I'm spending good money on him for minimum returns. Like these camps drill the kids, which is great! IF you already know the basic to work with. At least that's the feeling I got.
But googling for a company is just so overwhelming here
For skating, one guy I spoke with basically said he's going with figure skating, roller blades and random skates at the oval, rinks, dry rinks/concrete etc. His daughter is pretty good, but it's obviously more for fun than a future.

He said the figure skating lessons would help with her basic technique, then the other stuff they did as a family.

He felt that his daughter would continue learning more technique/balance chasing the other family member's bikes on the paths and would learn to stay strong on her skates by navigating uneven terrain (hills, cracks and gravel). I kinda assume that she'd be skating loops at certain parks like Bowness if the family members were so much faster than her? I think he basically got her to go from bike/scooter to roller skates for the summer.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote