Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2024, 10:53 PM   #1
Bingo
Owner

Exp:
Default Flames 6 Ducks 3

Flames 6 Ducks 3

- Kuzmenko with the hat trick
- Kadri with a goal and 2 assists in game 900
- Huberdeau with a 2 point game
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 11:59 PM   #2
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great write-up as always.

It's funny that Kuzmenko is saying “very interesting” on every opportunity he gets, because I don't remember him using the phrase in interviews in Russian.

PS: If I translate what he's saying from English into Russian and back into English. He's mostly using the phrase with two meanings:
1. It will be interesting to see how things workout
2. It's a humble way of acknowledging he has a lot to learn, and he enjoys learning/working on his game. Essentially: “I'm a student of the game, so I find learning the ins and outs of the NHL, or playing on a line with player X interesting”.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to gvitaly For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2024, 12:08 AM   #3
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe you're mostly right, gvitaly.

I imagine Kuzmenko falls back on ‘very interesting’ a lot because his English is not quite fluent enough to pick out finer shades of meaning in a hurry.

I have a similar problem when trying to speak languages other than English. I'll fall back on a word that I know is not quite right, because it would take time to think of the word I want and I don't want to tax my listeners' patience. When writing in other languages, I can take my time and go to the dictionary. In a live interview, Kuzmenko hasn't got that luxury.
Old 04-13-2024, 12:15 AM   #4
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Weegar may just be my favorite Flame now.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2024, 12:18 AM   #5
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
I believe you're mostly right, gvitaly.

I imagine Kuzmenko falls back on ‘very interesting’ a lot because his English is not quite fluent enough to pick out finer shades of meaning in a hurry.

I have a similar problem when trying to speak languages other than English. I'll fall back on a word that I know is not quite right, because it would take time to think of the word I want and I don't want to tax my listeners' patience. When writing in other languages, I can take my time and go to the dictionary. In a live interview, Kuzmenko hasn't got that luxury.
Yes! I have a similar problem, I came to Canada at a very young age, my mother tongue is Cantonese, after spending almost 50 years here, I have been losing my mother tongue. When I speak with people in English, thoughts just roll off my tongue but when I have to speak Chinese / Cantonese, I often speak in a very slow pace, and yes, I often tax my listeners patience and often they get irritated. The reason I speak in a slow pace is because I formulate what I want to say in English in my head then I translate those thoughts to Cantonese and often I could not find the right word.
Old 04-13-2024, 12:24 AM   #6
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

With me it's (mostly) Spanish. I was born in Canada, but my mother was Costa Rican. My wife and I took in a couple of Venezuelan refugees a while back, and my Spanish gave me (and them) all kinds of trouble.

On the very rare occasions when I've tried to use my French in conversation, I had the same difficulty, but about three times as bad. These days I'm taking lessons in Cree, and that is one step worse again.
Old 04-13-2024, 08:54 AM   #7
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I have a hell of a time processing pig latin!

And for the record I find it endearing, certainly wasn't criticizing the guy.
Old 04-13-2024, 09:05 AM   #8
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

By pace the Coyotes should finish up with a win and a loss and 77 points.

Calgary would have to go 0-3-0 to end up tied and likely lose the draft spot on a tie breaker.

Arizona needs 3 points and to beat the Flames on Sunday.
Old 04-13-2024, 09:09 AM   #9
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don’t know about you guys but I like this team tanking, realizing what they are a whole lot better than them thinking we are just around the corner from greatness. We have always been bad but now we are bad with a porpoise.

Kuzmenko represents what is wrong with hockey. The old guard absolutely demands players submit into a common way of being. Probably due to the “the code”. Hockey likes a type and if you are a little out there you are to be snuffed out. It always seems to be exclusively Russian players and black players that are the problem child’s. I wonder if it’s not those players.hmmm.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 09:19 AM   #10
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
I don’t know about you guys but I like this team tanking, realizing what they are a whole lot better than them thinking we are just around the corner from greatness. We have always been bad but now we are bad with a porpoise.

Kuzmenko represents what is wrong with hockey. The old guard absolutely demands players submit into a common way of being. Probably due to the “the code”. Hockey likes a type and if you are a little out there you are to be snuffed out. It always seems to be exclusively Russian players and black players that are the problem child’s. I wonder if it’s not those players.hmmm.
So long and thanks for all the fish?
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 09:24 AM   #11
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Weegar may just be my favorite Flame now.
Agreed. Just what we need on the back end for a rebuild.
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burning Beard For This Useful Post: