Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-23-2008, 04:13 PM   #21
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
I hate baseball more than Hitler himself, BUT, I do remember going to some of those games with my dad. I remember the Crowd chant thing Tar Ta Bull, Tar Ta Bull or something to that effect. The other frustrating thing was the Edmonton team was always better (my memory could be off), maybe that's why I never got into it as much.
The Trappers were consistently more successful, that is fore sure. Most of our existence was as the affiliate of some very bad major league parents (Seattle, Pittsburgh and Florida), who both had weak farm systems and avoided bringing pitching prospects to Calgary due to the thin air.

Usually, Calgary and Edmonton ended up the last two teams to grab affiliations because nobody wanted either of us. The Trappers in later year ended up with some fortunate affiliations though. The Expos for a couple years, then the Twins. C'est la vie.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:41 PM   #22
604flames
First Line Centre

Exp:

I remember being the only guy cheering for the Cannons at Franklin Covey Field in Salt Lake one gorgeous summer afternoon in 1997, I went to more Canadians games than Cannons games for sure though. Story is the same, except they ripped Vancouver's club the year after they won the AAA World Series.

I still go to a bunch of single-A C's games every year, and guys like Rich Harden and Nick Swisher have rolled through town since they brought the team from Oregon, but now it's way more about the atmosphere of Nat Bailey than checking out guys who might play in the bigs.
604flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:47 PM   #23
Flames in 07
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Saw a fair number of games way back in the first few years of the team. Way back before that, remember watching a Calgary Expos game. Anyways, my dad and I'd go whenever there was a cool promo on. I have a full set of the 1985 team cards I bought at the end of that year.

Good times.

Can't recall when, but the Foothills stadium wall was half the height it is now when first built. I think Tartabull started hammering out home runs by the truckload in the first year did the team (or league?) decided another tier needed to be built.
Still have your white palm dairies jacket?
Flames in 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 11:06 PM   #24
krazycanuck
Won the Worst Son Ever Award

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames in 07 View Post
every couple months when I was living in Calgary I would see someone wearing one of those blue, calgary herald junior cannons hats. I was definately a junior cannon...free admission for every wednesday game (or whatever it was). Many a memory spent with my dad at foothills watching the guns. Rich Amaral (sp?) was my favorite player back in the day.
krazycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 11:15 PM   #25
Prototype

Exp:

Got to see Abbott and A-Rod play in the same game. Was amazed more at Abbott than the guy who will most likely break the all time home run record.

Was A Jr. Cannon as well. I still hate myself for not going to the last game. Kinda like not taking the chance to talk to someone before they died. Horrible feeling.

You gotta have Moose in your Wikipedia entry somewhere.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:56 PM   #26
Gugstanley
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

[quote=604flames;1355531]I remember being the only guy cheering for the Cannons at Franklin Covey Field in Salt Lake one gorgeous summer afternoon in 1997/quote]

I must not have been there that day. Must admit I was crushed when the team I grew up watching, Salt Lake Gulls, moved to Calgary. As luck would have it we moved up to Calgary for a while also.

Tartabull was my favorite Cannon's player but some great players came through on other teams. Tartabull nearly had as many errors as he had homerun that year.

Hawaii still had a triple A team back then which made for some long travel.

Now I am back in Utah and we have one of the better minor league parks around.
Gugstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 11:34 AM   #27
droopydrew19
Safari Stan

Exp:

Tartabull was fun to watch but yes he was a brutal second baseman.

I saw Boone launch a ball that was still going up when it cleared straight away centerfield.

The longest hit I ever saw live was at foothills.

Former Major Leaguer Pete Incaviglia was in the minors finishing up his career. He launched one that landed in the parking lot of Mcmahon staudim and ended up rolling all the way to the gates.

I saw A-rod play a few times but never really thought he would be "the $hit" like he is now. He seemed disinterested at times.

Harold Renolds was one of my faves that seems to slip people's memories as well.

Cannons ruled!
droopydrew19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 11:36 AM   #28
droopydrew19
Safari Stan

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
The General Manager of all people wrote me back. John Traub, who joined the Cannons around 1990, and was the GM when the team moved south sent me these awesome pictures, released under a CC-BY-SA licence.
Nice to see John Traub still running the team. He was a pretty decent guy to deal with here in Calgary as well the couple times I met him personally.
droopydrew19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 07:52 PM   #29
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 403soxfan View Post
s
ken griffey Jr (3 at bats one home run)
Never played here.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 08:26 PM   #30
Antithesis
Disenfranchised

Exp:

Some of my fondest memories as a young man were the 'business man's specials' that they held on afternoons during the week. My brother and I, usually fresh out of school, would take the C-Train (by ourselves!!) to Foothills to meet Dad ... I seem to remember the team giving out Zorro masks to the adults at a lot of those games.

Oh, and Grant, Junior never played here as a Cannon, but I remember seeing him at least once in the annual M's vs. Cannons exhibition. I seem to remember him hitting 3 home runs in a game here.
Antithesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:11 PM   #31
Prototype

Exp:

I remember winning free tickets to Cannon's games from the Texico Gas Station where the Esso now resides on the corner of 64th Ave NW and Hunterview Drive. Just a block or so where the 64th Ave/14th St NW intersection is.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:55 PM   #32
Ziggy Lidstrom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
Oh, and Grant, Junior never played here as a Cannon, but I remember seeing him at least once in the annual M's vs. Cannons exhibition. I seem to remember him hitting 3 home runs in a game here.
I think Ken was suggesting that Ken never played FOR the Cannons, but yes I do remember that as well.

I got an autograph from Ken that day. I tried to get two for my sis and I but he was hungry and wanted to find some fried chicken so I told him about KFC. I was only a pup and didn't know about chicken on the way.

And man did Ken Mash that day. He did hit 3 homeruns in 2 innings at 2 abs. After that they subbed him.

I got a Brett Boone autograph as well, but the steroid business pushed me to use the ball for playing scrub.

Tripple A ball was something too good for this city and now we see the error in our ways as the Vipers commit more errors than there are days of the year. I like the vipers to get drunk, obnoxious, heckle the opposition and players and coaches I think I could do a better job than.

We were privilidged, and now we are punished. The dawgs are better baseball, but I wish they would upgrade Foothills and apply for at least a double a squad for Burns Stadium is much closer than Okotoks(depending on where you live). It would be grand to be able to see prospects again. Lind was a double A prospect. Bruce was. Braun was. et al.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:04 AM   #33
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames in 07 View Post
No, but a couple mini bats, cheapo plastic gloves. Probably a couple tshirts, and I thought some rain (not Palm) poncho. And a foul ball I scrambled to get.

Would love to find a early era hat or away jersey, before they added blue as part of the uni, when they were just red and gold.

Anyone remember the PA announcer's name. It was sometimes Russ Peake, but the main guy? After the inning...."No runs, no hits (slight pause), therewerenoerrors".
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 12:26 PM   #34
604flames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thought some of you guys might want to peek at this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Game-Worn-Used-C...QQcmdZViewItem
604flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 06:24 PM   #35
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604flames View Post
Thought some of you guys might want to peek at this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Game-Worn-Used-C...QQcmdZViewItem
ROFL! And his description is the barely-started write of the Wikipedia article.

Ziggy - unfortunately, there are no AA leagues close to Calgary. Our only hope to get back into affiliated ball would be the rookie-level Pioneer League, but even that is unlikely without Medicine Hat or Lethbridge to bridge the gap. The only other affiliated league nearby is the Single-A Northwest League, but Spokane is the closest market. The NWL wouldn't want anything to do with that.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:41 PM   #36
Flames in 07
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
No, but a couple mini bats, cheapo plastic gloves. Probably a couple tshirts, and I thought some rain (not Palm) poncho. And a foul ball I scrambled to get.

Would love to find a early era hat or away jersey, before they added blue as part of the uni, when they were just red and gold.

Anyone remember the PA announcer's name. It was sometimes Russ Peake, but the main guy? After the inning...."No runs, no hits (slight pause), therewerenoerrors".
Ha I remember that guy well, nope I forget, I think Tammy Christopher was a back up for that job as well.

I remember come early and get your picture with a cannons night, I got mine with Mickey Brantley once and Danny Tartabull once.
Flames in 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:00 AM   #37
mariners_fever
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Most of our existence was as the affiliate of some very bad major league parents (Seattle, Pittsburgh and Florida)
ummm. we were the affiliate of Seattle while many of the players who contributed heavily to the rise of the Mariners in the early-to-mid 90s.

Florida wasn't a bad major league parent to a AAA team at all. Remember that World Series they won in 2003 only having a low payroll? That was from having a stacked farm system due to strong scouting. While the Marlins affiliate, we saw guys like Ryan Dempster, Mike Lowell, Luis Castillo, AJ Burnett, Cliff Floyd, Kevin Millar and Brad Penny, who just recently was the NL Starter in the All-Star Game.
mariners_fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 11:35 AM   #38
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, we saw Cliff Floyd, but only for a couple games on a rehab stint (I was at one game - he crushed the ball) - he broke into the league with the Expos. And in 2003 he was playing with the Mets, so wasn't a member of that team. He was a member in '97 when they won.

But in the Marlins days the focus was on player development, and sometimes it seemed to be at the expense of winning (leaving a pitcher in longer than they should, letting a player play through the slump, etc).
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 03:38 PM   #39
Clever_Iggy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariners_fever View Post
ummm. we were the affiliate of Seattle while many of the players who contributed heavily to the rise of the Mariners in the early-to-mid 90s.

Florida wasn't a bad major league parent to a AAA team at all. Remember that World Series they won in 2003 only having a low payroll? That was from having a stacked farm system due to strong scouting. While the Marlins affiliate, we saw guys like Ryan Dempster, Mike Lowell, Luis Castillo, AJ Burnett, Cliff Floyd, Kevin Millar and Brad Penny, who just recently was the NL Starter in the All-Star Game.
Ya... the Marlins were voted to have the best minor league crop a couple times when I worked at the Cannons. The fire-sale after the 1997 world series brought in a ton of top-end prospects (listed above) that saw time with the Cannons.

Granted, this didnt necessarily translate into success in the standings, but the Cannons definitely had their fair share of talent.
Clever_Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 04:48 PM   #40
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

One time, Harold Reynolds looked me in the eye and ran over to throw me the ball at the end of the inning. Aeneas pushed me down, and climbed over me to get the ball. He stole it from us. The precious. Nasty, tricksy, false.

Of course, Aeneas might remember it differently. There was surely plenty of beer involved.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote