Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-23-2018, 09:19 PM   #1
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Recommendations for Garage Floor Coating?

Looking to have my garage floor epoxied... Any recommendations for people/companies that do a good job? It seems like the amount of prep and toxic chemicals involved make a good application not a DIY job (but I can be convinced)...
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:39 PM   #2
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I epoxied mine myself a few years ago with Rustoleum. I then put a top coat of high gloss epoxy on. Still looks awesome, but I have a touch of hot tire pick up. It was an easy job, but definitely time consuming with all the steps. Think it was just over a week of working on it every night to finish. It is so worth it, though. Love my garage.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:48 PM   #3
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've heard the stuff Costco sells is pretty good. I'll probably do it when I get to that point.

https://www.costco.ca/RokRez-Epoxy-F...100402675.html
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2018, 03:45 AM   #4
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used Drylok, extremely durable for a latex and very easy to apply, about $40/gal will do a 500 sq/ft garage. I got it from amazon.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 05:35 PM   #5
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bumping this as I'm also looking at this and wondering if anyone has suggestions other than DIY.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:49 PM   #6
Hessen
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I had my garage floor done by Garage Living https://www.garageliving.com/calgary/. There were multiple colours of flakes to choose from. They gave a quick quote and then were very meticulous in the preparation and installation of the epoxy flooring.
Hessen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 02:25 PM   #7
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can I ask how much it cost? $/sq foot or total? My garage is a standard 20x20 and I've gotten quotes all over the place so far. I'm actually leaning towards just rolling out a Gorilla Flooring sheet over most of it and doing it with mats.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 06-13-2018, 02:32 PM   #8
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

From what I gather, any sort of mat or sheet is the worst option. Absolutely terrible for the concrete and longevity.

Interested to hear what the 3rd party charged all in for the work, but also interested to hear if anyone subbed out any parts (aka who will do Shot Blasting alone?)
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:04 PM   #9
Hessen
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

It was about 3 years ago I had this done. At the time it cost $4500 which included:

-diamond grinding of entire floor surface including all cracks in floor being reamed out
-repair of all pits and cracks
-2 coats of Rhino coating including foundation wall at sides

It came with a 10 year warranty and I've beaten it up a fair bit with no chips to the coating only surface scratches.

edit: This was for an oversized double garage
Hessen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:05 PM   #10
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Holy ####. I am absolutely not paying anything like that. I could do it myself for ~$500. Highest quote I've received so far was 2500 from Duratech and even that seemed utterly silly to me (lowest so far is $1200).

Ducay: why is a mat terrible for the concrete? This is what I was looking at, for reference.

https://perfectsurfaces.ca/shop/resi.../garage-floor/
Old 06-13-2018, 03:09 PM   #11
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do you have to do a bunch of prep for a new floor? Mine is mostly just dusty right now.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:20 PM   #12
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Holy ####. I am absolutely not paying anything like that. I could do it myself for ~$500. Highest quote I've received so far was 2500 from Duratech and even that seemed utterly silly to me (lowest so far is $1200).

Ducay: why is a mat terrible for the concrete? This is what I was looking at, for reference.

https://perfectsurfaces.ca/shop/resi.../garage-floor/
Would you mind sharing who your lowest quotes are?
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:26 PM   #13
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Once I'm done getting them all I'll send you a PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2018, 03:27 PM   #14
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Most of the mat solutions will have joints that allow moisture to penetrate (and get trapped). Even the widest commercial roll products are only 10-12', meaning you've got a seam somewhere in the middle of your garage allowing penetration.

Proof is in the pudding - there is a reason you dont see any shops or commercial garages with lined floors - they're all concrete or epoxy.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:30 PM   #15
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, that makes sense from a wear and tear perspective, if you're having a ton of traffic on it, but my use wouldn't see that much driving on and off. And you're right there would be a joint as I'd be using two rolls of 7.5' x 20' product, but I figured I could just seal them together at the seam using some sort of adhesive.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:39 PM   #16
DFO
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm going with a product called Rust Bullet. Bought all the paint & clear for $1000 - doing a 28x26 garage.

https://allgaragefloors.com/rust-bul...floor-project/
DFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:48 PM   #17
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well, that makes sense from a wear and tear perspective, if you're having a ton of traffic on it, but my use wouldn't see that much driving on and off. And you're right there would be a joint as I'd be using two rolls of 7.5' x 20' product, but I figured I could just seal them together at the seam using some sort of adhesive.
Ya, I think the problem is that there are no perfect adhesives, especially when you are talking about standing water/pool that you'd inevitably get over our winters and the amount of snow that cars pickup and drop. Just a matter of time until water gets in and then you've got standing water underneath and then it is a compounding problem that just exacerbates itself. Again, I'll point to the fact no commercial operation or project uses mat based projects. They sound good to homegamers and people fall for it, but there is a reason they're not a long term solution.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:52 PM   #18
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Once I have the insulation done, I really want to get the garage floor done too.

I want something like this:
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:55 AM   #19
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Cheap options are cheap and will make the floor look nice for a few years but if you really want a coating that will last you need to be using a 2 part epoxy system. (2 part as in resin/catalyst not 2 coats as in base/clear)

Amerlock makes a good system https://pacificsouthwest.net/wp-cont...PDS_AI2011.pdf and you should be able to find it at a paint store that sells commercial products. General Paint carries it here.

Hopefully your concrete has vapour barrier underneath or moisture will come through and can affect any coating. If you want to know, tape a square of plastic on the floor for a few days and see if it gets moist underneath. If it does it's probably not a great idea to paint the floor. The coating becomes a vapour barrier and moisture gets trapped in the concrete.

If it's fine acid wash the floor and use the Amerlock. Roll, don't spray, and use a respirator, this stuff is toxic. But it is awesome. We have it on our hangar floors and there are a few spots it has chipped but after 17 yrs of heavy aircraft maintenance the floors are still shiny and white.

Any quick coatings you buy at Home Depot etc are not much better than just painting the floor with house paint.

Last edited by speede5; 06-14-2018 at 07:58 AM.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2018, 01:05 PM   #20
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Once I'm done getting them all I'll send you a PM.
Would you be able to add me to the list? Somehow the topic of refinishing our garage floor came up at lunch, and as we considered cost, I remembered seeing this thread.
psyang is online now   Reply With Quote