Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2018, 09:03 AM   #341
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
You can bring Alcohol as long as its smaller than the 3 oz or what ever allowable liquid amount is. Drinking it on the other hand..

Security always laughs at the wife and I when the see our baggie with a bunch of bottles of booze when we go on a vacation down south.
Wouldn’t it be cheaper(and less headache) to just buy booze at your destination down south? That could be the reason why security are always laughing.
iggy_oi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:20 AM   #342
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Wouldn’t it be cheaper(and less headache) to just buy booze at your destination down south? That could be the reason why security are always laughing.
They know they are to be drunk on the plane, and that's the only reason people bring them. They literally say things like "oh going to have a good flight eh? ha ha ha"

I would be shocked if anyone brings airplane size bottles to be drank at their destination.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 11:07 AM   #343
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haven't really checked the details, will it now be legal to bring pot into the country? Or only legal to purchase it here?
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 11:09 AM   #344
Kiran403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Only purchasing it here. Crossing the border with it into the US, bringing it back with you, or ordering from outside Canada is still illegal.
Kiran403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 01:52 PM   #345
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Live forum on Medical Marijuana coming up:

Into the Weeds of Medical Marijuana: The Good, The Bad, and the Downright Silly
https://www.facebook.com/theskeptics...6348013386605/
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:02 PM   #346
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Very curious to see how this plays out. Potential for massive amount US lifetime bans.

Quote:
In addition to those who have used marijuana, Canadians who are involved with the cannabis economy have been labelled “inadmissible” because they are considered to be living off the profits of the drug trade. Once banned for life, they must seek legal waivers from an immigration lawyer — good for between one and five years — for the rest of their lives when they wish to cross the border.
Quote:
Keirton is not involved with the production, distribution or sale of cannabis. But because its equipment is explicitly intended to be used by people who are, Evans and his colleagues were told after a six-hour interview they were “drug traffickers” according to U.S. federal law.
https://www.thestar.com/vancouver/20...time-bans.html
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:05 PM   #347
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Very curious to see how this plays out. Potential for massive amount US lifetime bans.

Interesting.
I know of a gal who moved from O&G to an MJ start-up, her and her husband own a property in Arizona....I guess now he'll have to go alone.
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffporfirio For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2018, 03:23 PM   #348
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post

This was inevitable as the US is very clear on their entry laws. Unfortunately it looks like many people either were not aware or did not think it through before associating themselves with an industry that is still illegal in the US.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 04:46 PM   #349
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know accountants, biologists, and investment advisors who are working in the Canadian marijuana industry. So dumb that the U.S. would ban people who likely spend a lot of money in the U.S. on travel.

So it's okay for an Oregonian who works in the marijuana industry to travel to Arizona, but it's not okay for an Albertan? Doesn't make any sense.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 07-13-2018 at 04:49 PM.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2018, 05:22 PM   #350
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think as long as you don't advertise that you are in the cannabis industry at the border you will be fine.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 06:35 PM   #351
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
I think as long as you don't advertise that you are in the cannabis industry at the border you will be fine.
Remember when the Senate wanted all investors in MJ stocks to be on a public listing? Pretty happy that got nixed. I'm sure the US would have used that list for no entry purposes.

Does this apply to medical users too? If so, how is it any different than someone who has an Oxy prescription?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2018, 07:14 PM   #352
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Does this apply to medical users too? If so, how is it any different than someone who has an Oxy prescription?
Homeland security: Have you ever used illegal drugs?

Medical cannabis patient: I’ve never used an illicit substance in my life.

They can still bar you from entering but from what I’ve heard that’s the safest answer you can give them. Your best bet is to have a medicinal use card even after legalization happens, it could make the difference between getting in and getting barred.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:35 PM   #353
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

That doesn't make sense. You suggest lying, then having a card to prove you lied?

I was wondering if the Homeland Security regards medical users as legitimate. Would having a card prove you are a guilty pot smoker, or prove you are using a legitimate medicine. How is it viewed?
Old 07-13-2018, 07:38 PM   #354
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Leave your card at home. Answer no if they ask about drugs.

I believe they view weed as having no medicinal benefits so trying to claim you have a legit prescription or medical need won’t matter.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2018, 08:53 PM   #355
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That doesn't make sense. You suggest lying, then having a card to prove you lied?
You’re a little confused, medical cannabis is not an illicit substance in Canada.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:22 PM   #356
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gee, thanks. I was obviously referring to the US border, which has nothing to do with it's legal status in Canada. That doesn't answer what I was asking.

To be clear: Will the US treat medical users the same way it treats non-medical users? As in, if you admit that you have a legal medical prescription in Canada, will you be banned form entering if questioned(and answered), even if you do not have your medication on you?
Old 07-13-2018, 09:41 PM   #357
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would assume they will until proven otherwise. Since it's not medically legal at the Federal level I doubt it will be treated differently.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:07 PM   #358
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Gee, thanks. I was obviously referring to the US border, which has nothing to do with it's legal status in Canada. That doesn't answer what I was asking.

To be clear: Will the US treat medical users the same way it treats non-medical users? As in, if you admit that you have a legal medical prescription in Canada, will you be banned form entering if questioned(and answered), even if you do not have your medication on you?
Yes
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:08 PM   #359
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post

So it's okay for an Oregonian who works in the marijuana industry to travel to Arizona, but it's not okay for an Albertan? Doesn't make any sense.
Welcome to the US. Especially lately.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:13 PM   #360
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It’s entirely up to the border agent whether or not they let you cross. You could admit to smoking cannabis and they may deny you or let you in. You could deny it, or have never used cannabis in your life and they could still deny you entry. Being a Canadian citizen doesn’t give you the right to enter the US, but you can still be allowed to enter even if you admit to having used cannabis, whether it be medicinal or not. Having a card just looks a little more legit.