Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2021, 04:02 PM   #101
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I definitely agree much more could be getting done with this premise. But it’s still decent enough for me so far.

The only actor I’m not enjoying so far is the Sword head dude. I’m guessing he’s a Skrull, but he just seems very stiff. Everything needs more Kathryn Hahn.

Last edited by Coach; 01-31-2021 at 04:05 PM.
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 04:10 PM   #102
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
The problem with the whole blip is if the argument is you game back exactly where you left it only works in a stationary earth frame of reference.

Most people end up in the cold void of space and the universe remains half populated.
Considering nothing in the universe is stationary and there is no such thing as an absolute reference point, referencing the Earth is perfectly reasonable. I mean we are talking about a magic glove here that was snapped on Earth.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 04:19 PM   #103
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I try not to think to hard about people returning to their same sport in the Blip. It can probably be explained by ficticious physics.

I did like the last episode of Wandavision, hopefully though they've gone through the introductory of the main plot, and we can get onto deeper matters.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 07:53 PM   #104
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Not sure what there is to bash about the acting?

Wanda's been one of my favorite Avengers since her introduction, and I think especially with the time specific accents Olsen has done a pretty good job.

Bettany's performance is tough to gauge, because I don't think he's playing Vision, I think he's playing Wandas vision of Vision. It kind of reminds me of Far from Home, I was actually on the verge of turning to my wife in the theater and complaining about the writing getting Nick Fury all wrong, and then the after credit scene redeemed the writers a geniuses.

Randell Park, gives one of my favorite performances in the MCU. I love the deadpan innocence, he gives us exactly what SNL wants to deliver but sucks at.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 08:18 PM   #105
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Great point on Vision, I didn't even think of that.

Old 01-31-2021, 10:03 PM   #106
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I try not to think to hard about people returning to their same sport in the Blip. It can probably be explained by ficticious physics.

I did like the last episode of Wandavision, hopefully though they've gone through the introductory of the main plot, and we can get onto deeper matters.
I know it's not exactly time travel, but generally I like to think of the matter in time travel plots as remaining real, just following a different arrow of time (for whatever hand wavy reason they come up with), so remaining gravitationally bound to the spot they were in.

The Time travel in Endgame was a little different, because they weren't travelling, they intentionally folded spacetime over on itself, so with perfect calculations you could appear in any location that you could successfully fold over onto your place. This would require extra dimension in space that we can't see, but we can interact with, which I think is beyond our knowledge of physics right now.

In the case of the Blip, I like to imagine they would return to wherever Hulk intended them to return to, and since he couldn't be intentional about half of the entire universe, he intended for them to return to where they would be if they hadn't moved, so you wouldn't appear mid air, you would appear sitting in the same airplane seat on the tarmac, because a person would not have needed to move to get there. Maybe the problem is, what if the pilot and co-pilot blipped and the plane crashed?

Needless to say, I think we are expected to think of the returned as traumatized but physically OK with some exceptions that will make for plot starters over the coming years.

Last edited by #-3; 01-31-2021 at 10:07 PM.
Old 01-31-2021, 10:11 PM   #107
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I think of it as lets say that you close your eyes to take a nap and wake up three years later and find out that your parents are dead. Your wife declared you dead took all of your stuff and the kids to move to france with your neighbor who was a slimy painter named Jacques. Your favorite guitarist Edde Van Halen was dead. All of your money and assets had been split out by your remaining heirs and you had about 3 years worth of poop in your colon. Traumatic, yep.

Old 02-01-2021, 04:43 AM   #108
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

You all doing Dr. Banner dirty. He had near omnipotence and is one of the smartest people in the world so he would have thought about this stuff. He probably just blipped them back in a safe location nearest their snap.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2021, 09:30 AM   #109
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Mid season trailer

Spoiler!

Old 02-01-2021, 10:31 AM   #110
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
Not sure what there is to bash about the acting?

Wanda's been one of my favorite Avengers since her introduction, and I think especially with the time specific accents Olsen has done a pretty good job.

Bettany's performance is tough to gauge, because I don't think he's playing Vision, I think he's playing Wandas vision of Vision. It kind of reminds me of Far from Home, I was actually on the verge of turning to my wife in the theater and complaining about the writing getting Nick Fury all wrong, and then the after credit scene redeemed the writers a geniuses.

Randell Park, gives one of my favorite performances in the MCU. I love the deadpan innocence, he gives us exactly what SNL wants to deliver but sucks at.

The problem with the acting is that neither Wanda or Vision have much screen presence or charisma. They still feel like boring secondary characters even though they are the leads.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2021, 10:43 AM   #111
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Liking this overall. I felt that the first three episodes did drag, and could have been shorter. I really got the point after the 100th pun about it being a 50s sitcom. They want to immerse the audience in the sitcom vibe to make the reveal stronger, but this could have been accomplished in a punchier shorter episode.

They want all the episodes to be the same length and they want the clear decade division between episodes, so we ended up with some awkward pacing in episodes 1-3 to make the necessary 30 minute episodes for episode 4 work.

Overall, this is a pretty solid show though. Much better than the Netflix Marvel content. Obviously not as good as the good movies. I think some people's expectations are too high here.

They did bring back Kat Dennings, who I generally hate. However, she actually kind of works in her role. They toned her down just enough and she's not quite as annoying now that she's a little older. Having her paired up with Randall Park, who's comedic timing is solid, probably helps too.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 10:47 AM   #112
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
They did bring back Kat Dennings, who I generally hate. However, she actually kind of works in her role. They toned her down just enough and she's not quite as annoying now that she's a little older. Having her paired up with Randall Park, who's comedic timing is solid, probably helps too.
Agreed, I enjoyed them in this episode.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 11:14 AM   #113
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Agreed, I enjoyed them in this episode.
Randall Park has to be one of the best straight men out there.

I'm also liking the two leads. Elizabeth Olsen is playing the pilled up 50s housewife role quite well. She has the demeanor of a 50s/60s housewife, who is suffering, but taking pills to pretend everything is okay. Paul Bettany is solid too.

Once again, I think the major issue is that the first 3 episodes were too long. They should have been 20 minutes instead of 30. It was hard for the actors to keep the momentum of the joke going for the extra 10 minutes.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2021, 11:21 AM   #114
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Randall Park has to be one of the best straight men out there.

I'm also liking the two leads. Elizabeth Olsen is playing the pilled up 50s housewife role quite well. She has the demeanor of a 50s/60s housewife, who is suffering, but taking pills to pretend everything is okay. Paul Bettany is solid too.

Once again, I think the major issue is that the first 3 episodes were too long. They should have been 20 minutes instead of 30. It was hard for the actors to keep the momentum of the joke going for the extra 10 minutes.
Also I find Kat super hot.

So bonus

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2021, 02:38 PM   #115
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

People trying to apply real physics to a snap of the fingers that can re-arrange reality based on the combination of powers of 6 elemental gems at the will of the person wielding themin a gauntlet made by space dwarves....well...

Pretty easy to just say Banner wished everyone back to safety or something.
Old 02-01-2021, 02:43 PM   #116
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
People trying to apply real physics to a snap of the fingers that can re-arrange reality based on the combination of powers of 6 elemental gems at the will of the person wielding themin a gauntlet made by space dwarves....well...

Pretty easy to just say Banner wished everyone back to safety or something.
Yeah but that’s boring.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 04:39 PM   #117
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
You all doing Dr. Banner dirty. He had near omnipotence and is one of the smartest people in the world so he would have thought about this stuff. He probably just blipped them back in a safe location nearest their snap.
Honestly thats how I always looked at it. He had enough awareness to have tried really hard to bring Natasha back, I would have thought he had enough awareness to bring people back in relatively safe locations, but would just keep most as close as possible to their starting spot. Really it was half of all live in the universe he brought back, I think he could handle moving them out of traffic.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 09:55 PM   #118
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
The problem with the acting is that neither Wanda or Vision have much screen presence or charisma. They still feel like boring secondary characters even though they are the leads.
Well my subjective opinion trumps your subjective opinion, so your wrong.
The Following User Says Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2021, 01:51 AM   #119
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Episode 5 is now out. And... wow.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 04:30 AM   #120
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp: