Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2022, 10:27 PM   #461
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

While they’re both technically PG-13 movies, Batman looks much less kid friendly and that’s going to hurt it’s numbers.

Like Cecil said, the 3 hours runtime is going to hurt it as well. Endgame had the same runtime but had the momentum of all the other Marvel movies driving it.

This is another reboot. It’s going to do well, but won’t crack a billion dollars unless it gets Joker level hype and reviews.

Last edited by KTrain; 02-24-2022 at 07:41 AM.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 09:44 PM   #462
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
That 3 hour run time is gonna hurt the box office. Not only in terms of showings but also in terms of people willing to go see it. Also Spidey movies are kid safe. Batman is not.

I bet this movie is much closer to something like Logan.
Yep I don't think there's much buzz about this one. I use my teenagers as barometers and I'm not even sure they know about it.

If I'm the one dragging them to see it, it doesn't bode well for the box office.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 02:35 PM   #463
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
I don't necessarily think that's true. Batman 89 did over $400 mill, the first Spider-man which came out a couple years before made over $800 mill.
Those are both outliers though, the number one movies by far of their respective years and pop culture phenomenon of the time. Batman Begins was still the #9 grossing movie worldwide of 2005 -- when you look at the #9 movie of 2019 (the last normal box office year) it was Aladdin that made over a billion. $350-400 million worldwide gross was a guaranteed top ten in the early 2000's which has to be seen as a success -- that's what the X-Men movies were making and getting sequel after sequel greenlit too.
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2022, 09:17 AM   #464
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fantastic start by The Batman, pulling in over $20 mill already.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1499774314547134465
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 07:09 AM   #465
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Massive W for The Batman at the box office. Expect a sequel announcement soon.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1499960748717625345
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2022, 11:04 AM   #466
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I scanned the Cineplex and Landmark seat maps to see if I should go see it this weekend, a lot of showings and a few completely sold out. I'm surprised. I'll wait until next week.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 11:13 AM   #467
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
I scanned the Cineplex and Landmark seat maps to see if I should go see it this weekend, a lot of showings and a few completely sold out. I'm surprised. I'll wait until next week.
My boy saw it last night.

Batman has been "his guy" for, well forever. He is a full Batman Geek.

He loved it, he really like that Batman not only was a physical force, but he also showed his intelligence.

He and I are going to try and see it.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 10:33 AM   #468
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1500522758828085253
Old 03-07-2022, 09:52 AM   #469
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Uncharted cracked $100M total this weekend too, a huge success for Sony as it had some potential bomba vibes. Will cross into the top 5 grossing video game adaptations this week and should hit number 4 for sure.

Batman will be interesting to see the legs on it, it was always a pretty sure thing for a good first weekend but we've seen a lot of DC movies have the legs fall out pretty much immediately. I'm still planning to see it, haven't had a chance yet.
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2022, 11:20 AM   #470
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Uncharted cracked $100M total this weekend too, a huge success for Sony as it had some potential bomba vibes. Will cross into the top 5 grossing video game adaptations this week and should hit number 4 for sure.

Batman will be interesting to see the legs on it, it was always a pretty sure thing for a good first weekend but we've seen a lot of DC movies have the legs fall out pretty much immediately. I'm still planning to see it, haven't had a chance yet.
Batman seems more like the Joker, in terms of box office response, than the DCEU films. It also doesn't open in China until March 18. IMO, the legs on Batman will be solid.

Uncharted though is trash. They likely got a boost from Batman overflow, from people who wanted to go to the movies but couldn't get tickets to Batman.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 12:37 PM   #471
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Batman’s international looks pretty low even without China. Are there other major markets it’s missing right now?

Compared to NWH you had a 42% domestic no China and Joker had 32% domestic, no China.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 03:24 PM   #472
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is random but thread accidentally took me back to the first page.

But I still can't believe Aquaman made over a $1B dollars.

Might be one of my least favorite DC movies from this "era" of D2C movies, and I thought it was outright bad.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 03:39 PM   #473
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Batman’s international looks pretty low even without China. Are there other major markets it’s missing right now?

Compared to NWH you had a 42% domestic no China and Joker had 32% domestic, no China.
Still waiting for it to open in China and Japan the last two big international markets it will open. As well no Russia release, which with the Joker brought in $30 mill.

I've heard people say with this weekend and the holds that it had, that $900 mill is a strong possibility.

DC films are all independent releases, the success of this film doesn't guarantee that Black Adam will be a success. MCU has a brilliant strategy in that no one wants to miss the next episode of the MCU as each film builds upon the last.
Old 03-07-2022, 04:01 PM   #474
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Still waiting for it to open in China and Japan the last two big international markets it will open. As well no Russia release, which with the Joker brought in $30 mill.

I've heard people say with this weekend and the holds that it had, that $900 mill is a strong possibility.

DC films are all independent releases, the success of this film doesn't guarantee that Black Adam will be a success. MCU has a brilliant strategy in that no one wants to miss the next episode of the MCU as each film builds upon the last.
Or you just don't watch any of them. The last MCU movie i watched was Batman Inception Begins.... oh umm Dr Strange.
Old 03-07-2022, 04:24 PM   #475
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post

Uncharted was passable but definitely not great or even good. Sony did a great job at releasing it exactly at the best time. Very little competition and Tom Holland has a lot of star appeal right now.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 09:45 PM   #476
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I was more just comparing superhero domestic splits. Star Wars does 50/50, Marvel does 70/30 with China. DC used to be 60/40 with China. BvS was 43% domestic without China and Japan.

So this looks to be an NA over performance perhaps driven by previews but like you said the Sunday hold was good and it has no competition so maybe it can leg out like the joker.

I’m suspicious of the 900 million if you say 100 million in China similar to BvS then you need 800 ROW so a 3.1 multiple. So 900 is an upper bound but I don’t think likely. Effectively needs Joker legs.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2022, 07:57 AM   #477
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good point GGG, it's going to be tight but even if it lands in the 800mill range that's still a massive W for WB, which hasn't had a Box Office hit since 2019.

Saw the Monday number was $11 mill which is fantastic. With this being cheap Tuesday should make at least that today. Could we see a $75 mill 2nd weekend?
Old 03-08-2022, 09:08 PM   #478
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

A 45% drop would be exceptional for domestic. Holding 50% and coming in at 69 probably more realistic.
Old 03-11-2022, 08:09 PM   #479
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
A 45% drop would be exceptional for domestic. Holding 50% and coming in at 69 probably more realistic.
Looks like you were right GGG, Batman off to a great start for the 2nd weekend.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1502468368284139521
Old 03-12-2022, 09:39 AM   #480
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope the Batman reaches the necessary box office threshold so that your profit share bonus kicks in. You deserve it.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post: