Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2022, 06:22 PM   #2041
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
So an unarmed military veteran took down the shooter?

But ... but ... but ... but I thought the GOP and NRA said the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun, was a good guy with a gun?!

Does that mean that Mr. Ferro wasn't actually a hero, or have the GOP & NRA been lying to us?!
For most people without 15 years of military training it may (would) have been a bigger issue.

I’m sure a lot of the keyboard warriors on this board would have jumped into action and disarmed the shooter without any training with similar results

When you are already trained as a deadly weapon your need to openly carry one is several reduced (even if these would be the most qualified to carry a weapon)

This is the equivalent comment to when the pro gun people post articles of an armed civilian taking down a shooter . It doesnt mean you need everyone to have a gun and there are no other ways , but it also doesn’t mean anyone can stop a shooter with their hands

Last edited by Jason14h; 11-21-2022 at 06:27 PM.
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 06:31 PM   #2042
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
For most people without 15 years of military training it may (would) have been a bigger issue.

I’m sure a lot of the keyboard warriors on this board would have jumped into action and disarmed the shooter without any training with similar results

When you are already trained as a deadly weapon your need to openly carry one is several reduced (even if these would be the most qualified to carry a weapon)

This is the equivalent comment to when the pro gun people post articles of an armed civilian taking down a shooter . It doesnt mean you need everyone to have a gun and there are no other ways , but it also doesn’t mean anyone can stop a shooter with their hands
I ask this question earnestly:

Could you really not tell that post was in jest? Really? You honestly thought my post was serious?

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 06:34 PM   #2043
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Lol, that was awesome.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 06:36 PM   #2044
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
I ask this question earnestly:

Could you really not tell that post was in jest? Really? You honestly thought my post was serious?
I think it was made in an over the top manner to support your viewpoint and mock the pro gun crowd, and that your viewpoint is still represented in the underlining statement . What else is it suppose to convey ?

Similar to the pro gun people who post articles and saying a larger tragedy was only prevented because people were armed
Old 11-21-2022, 06:45 PM   #2045
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
I think it was made in an over the top manner to support your viewpoint and mock the pro gun crowd, and that your viewpoint is still represented in the underlining statement . What else is it suppose to convey ?

Similar to the pro gun people who post articles and saying a larger tragedy was only prevented because people were armed
So based on your interpretation you thought it was cool to come in and use that and a conversation about a gay nightclub shooting to get in a dig on “keyboard warriors”?

Did shutting the #### up cross your mind instead? I would’ve considered it myself.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 07:00 PM   #2046
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
So based on your interpretation you thought it was cool to come in and use that and a conversation about a gay nightclub shooting to get in a dig on “keyboard warriors”?

Did shutting the #### up cross your mind instead? I would’ve considered it myself.
Well a few posters thought it was a good time to take a dig at the NRA. I’m just responding

Did they and you think of shutting the F up before those posts?

And keyboard warrior is actual the perfect description of someone online posting that no one needs a gun since an ACTUAL trained warrior didn’t.

Last edited by Jason14h; 11-21-2022 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-21-2022, 07:08 PM   #2047
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:

Perhaps, it was meant to mock the GOP & NRA and their non-sensical talking points. As in similar to the people who post articles and saying a larger tragedy was only prevented because people were armed.

It's not anti-gun or anti-gun crowd per say. You can be pro-common sense gun laws, and pro-gun.

In fairness I suppose I should have singled out the GOP & NRA in the original post to avoid confusion... oh... wait...

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 07:19 PM   #2048
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

We’ll the NRA specifically represents pro gun crowd so I don’t think it’s a stretch the lump the two together

And I agree - it’s as silly as the crowd that posts articles where someone with a gun saves the day saying it prevented a bigger tragedy as a argument for looser controls and lack of gun control

But why mock them anyways ? And specifically in this case . Maybe if it was just the drag queen stopping him with her shoes I would get the mocking , but it was a trained 15 year army major .
Old 11-21-2022, 07:28 PM   #2049
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Well a few posters thought it was a good time to take a dig at the NRA. I’m just responding

And keyboard warrior is actual the perfect description of someone online posting that no one needs a gun since an ACTUAL trained warrior didn’t.
Do you work for the NRA? Why are you taking comments about the NRA as an opening to mock other posters?

Sorry, I’m sure nobody thought about how mocking the org that has been on the side of countless mass shooters for their idiotic talking points would be taken personally by a random guy with nothing else to attach his identity to.

“Nobody mocks the NRA on my watch!” Grow up. Pathetic.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2022, 07:54 PM   #2050
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

This is hilarious given the average American who owns a gun only had to possess the wherewithal to present a credit card and fill in a form correctly.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 08:30 PM   #2051
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

To guns! The cause of... and solution to... all of life's problems.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 12:58 AM   #2052
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 11-22-2022, 01:11 AM   #2053
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

No one is saying you dont need a gun since an actual trained warrior didnt need one, we are saying no one needs a gun full stop, and if the US didnt hand them out like candy when I went to look up 'Colorado Springs Shooting' I wouldn't have to then realize for a city of only 500,000 I would still have to be more specific, was it the shooting at the planned parenthood clinic or the one at the birthday party, the random Halloween shooting or the one at the nightclub?
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2022, 03:05 AM   #2054
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

And you only need to go an hour or so up hwy 25 to the infamous Columbine, Boulder and Aurora shootings
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2022, 09:02 AM   #2055
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
This should be mandatory watching for all.

####ing heartbreaking.

The statistics of dead and injured doesn't capture all the causalities of these events.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2022, 09:46 AM   #2056
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
This should be mandatory watching for all.

####ing heartbreaking.

The statistics of dead and injured doesn't capture all the causalities of these events.
That was really hard to watch, highly recommend it though. Even for parents with teens who maybe are desensitized to shootings because of the mass amount of them going on in the US. Seems like it is normal, but it really shouldn't be.

Sounds like the gunman had a AR-15, when are they going to ban these people killers?
Old 11-22-2022, 10:03 AM   #2057
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

People need to watch that video even if just to be reminded that these things are real. I know people are desensitized to shootings but they are real things that happen that have real, impossibly difficult consequences. I did not need to cry that hard on a Tuesday morning.

When you’re part of a group that has been the target of extreme violence or experienced violence yourself, you see the world differently. People think it’s some joke or some pet project to hammer on because of their “beliefs” while their targets can’t go out without minding the exits and just want so desperately to be seen as normal and accepted.

Honestly, if you read about a shooting targeting LGBTQ people and your focus is on making fun of “keyboard warriors” responding to it you’re a piece of a #### and an embarrassment to share space with. Sorry.
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2022, 10:55 AM   #2058
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Honestly, one of the scariest and chilling parts of these mass shootings is that on social media (even on CP to a degree) these are no longer unthinkable tragedies, they are simply jumping boards for discussion. Myself included.

I think a really important exercise and one that I will employ going forward is to not simply see a mass shooting, get the quick details and either move on or discuss it, but instead to actually go to websites with stories and news and pictures and really emerrse in the tragedy itself. Connect with the reality that real people have lost their lives.

We need to work hard to stay connected, shocked, outraged at these events and continue to understand the scope of how catastrophic each one is. Lacking that is the definition of of becoming desensitized.

Last edited by jayswin; 11-22-2022 at 10:59 AM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2022, 07:09 PM   #2059
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

That video is a tough watch.

I wouldn't wish the role on Mr. Fierro but... I hope he keeps speaking about this experience. I think he may be the right messenger for a message a lot of Americans haven't wanted to hear.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 08:32 PM   #2060
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I think we should acknowledge the shooter as well was wearing full US military body armor, including Kevlar helmet judging by the comments made in the interview about recognizing the handle on the back he grabbed him by being the same as on his body armor from Iraq and then talking about trying to wrench his helmet off to hit him, as such the shooter was pretty much immune from return fire by anything less than swat team could bring to bear, had everyone in that club had a handgun it is unlikely they could have killed him, it would have taken far more firepower than a hand gun or even normal rifle rounds to take him down,

The easy access of body armour has made handguns and most longguns an irrelevance to any real self defence
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post: