Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2019, 04:58 AM   #221
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Disagree. Line up each forward from Montreal and I will cite a Flame who was better. Just look at the centres: Newy, Gilmour, Otto, Hrdina versus Smith, Carbonneau, Corson and Skrudland. The Flames had two 50 goals scorers. The Habs had two 30 goal scorers.

I just never had a doubt after the near disaster against Vancouver.
Niewendyk was the best, no doubt. Skrudland was at the low end of the 8 centres that played. The other 6 are fairly equal with the Habs centres getting slightly more goals. Look at the left wingers, Naslund, McPhee, and Walter vs. Roberts, Patterson, and Peplinski.

You're telling me that you weren't worried when the Habs took a 2-1 series lead?

Last edited by Tsawwassen; 01-15-2019 at 05:03 AM.
Tsawwassen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 08:46 AM   #222
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsawwassen View Post
Niewendyk was the best, no doubt. Skrudland was at the low end of the 8 centres that played. The other 6 are fairly equal with the Habs centres getting slightly more goals. Look at the left wingers, Naslund, McPhee, and Walter vs. Roberts, Patterson, and Peplinski.

You're telling me that you weren't worried when the Habs took a 2-1 series lead?
No, I wasn't because the Flames just looked better even in those two losses.

And you are just counting points. I'm looking at play. Gilmour was a top centre who would be in the HOF. Otto was a huge presence. Patterson was a Selke nominee. Besides, on the RW (which you omit) the Flames had Mullen and Loob. Really who cares why side you look at. Mullen > Naslund (that year especially). Loob > Richer, and on down the line.

As for centre, points, look at the 2Cs - Gilmour had only one less goal but a lot more points than Carbonneau because Gilmour was feeding wingers. Hrdina and Corson maybe, but Hrdina again had more points and was, IMO, really useful. And that was really from the fourth line. Otto was playing defensive minutes and was the de facto third line C. Either guy was way better than Skrudland.

And then look at defence - not even close.

Montreal did have a better goalie but it didn't matter.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2019, 10:23 AM   #223
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Flames are 2nd in the league. If they're not a contender...aside from Tampa who is?
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2019, 10:58 AM   #224
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames can make a deep run in the playoffs this year, with the way league is shaping up, if their goaltending holds up.

I wouldn't mind some veteran depth on D being acquired. A 3rd/4th line player will also be a welcome addition.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 12:09 PM   #225
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I know. But with the 89 Flames, I just didn't sweat them. Calgary had them beat up and down the lineup (except in goal) which you couldn't say in 86.
When Montreal had a 2-1 series lead and with Game 4 coming up in Montreal, I was sweating it a bit. That Montreal team only lost two in a row twice all season and never lost three straight (until we beat them in Game 4, 5 and 6).
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 12:21 PM   #226
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames playoff hopes will ride on the shoulders of Rittich.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 01:00 PM   #227
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No, I wasn't because the Flames just looked better even in those two losses.

And you are just counting points. I'm looking at play. Gilmour was a top centre who would be in the HOF. Otto was a huge presence. Patterson was a Selke nominee. Besides, on the RW (which you omit) the Flames had Mullen and Loob. Really who cares why side you look at. Mullen > Naslund (that year especially). Loob > Richer, and on down the line.

As for centre, points, look at the 2Cs - Gilmour had only one less goal but a lot more points than Carbonneau because Gilmour was feeding wingers. Hrdina and Corson maybe, but Hrdina again had more points and was, IMO, really useful. And that was really from the fourth line. Otto was playing defensive minutes and was the de facto third line C. Either guy was way better than Skrudland.

And then look at defence - not even close.

Montreal did have a better goalie but it didn't matter.
And Roy was intimidated by McInnis so I think the goalies evened out. Long term however, Roy was definitely the more elite goalie.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 01:02 PM   #228
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
Flames can make a deep run in the playoffs this year, with the way league is shaping up, if their goaltending holds up.

I wouldn't mind some veteran depth on D being acquired. A 3rd/4th line player will also be a welcome addition.
I am not worried about defense. I would like to see more secondary scoring though. Last game was great butt that was an anomaly for this year.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 01:17 PM   #229
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
Flames are 2nd in the league. If they're not a contender...aside from Tampa who is?
Exactly. Of course they are a contender.

Now the truth is we really don't know how this team will perform in the playoffs and respond to adversity. Because whether its injuries, falling behind, controversial officiating, bad bounces or a number of other things, there will certainly be adversity.

I can't wait to see how this team handles it.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 01:19 PM   #230
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
When Montreal had a 2-1 series lead and with Game 4 coming up in Montreal, I was sweating it a bit. That Montreal team only lost two in a row twice all season and never lost three straight (until we beat them in Game 4, 5 and 6).
as a Flames fan living in MTL in that era (although back home in Calgary in time for rounds 3 and 4 in 89) I certainly did feel the Flames were top to bottom the stronger team, but the Habs were very good. I was a little wary that the hockey gods might have their fun with us again after the Mark Hunter penalty in double OT led to the game 3 winner I will admit
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2019, 02:36 PM   #231
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
Being top of the conference isn't a great indicator of who will play for the cup. In the past decade, only 2 teams have managed to play in the cup final after finishing the regular season first in their conference (2011 Canucks and 2013 Blackhawks). I think the way the Flames are playing in March will be the best indicator of how they might fare in the playoffs
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2019, 04:19 PM   #232
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ok, I can't stand it any more, please spell the player's name correctly.

Allan MacInnis is a Canadian retired ice hockey defenceman who played 23 seasons in the National Hockey League for the Calgary Flames and St. Louis Blues. He was who Roy was afraid of, it was his shot that scared Roy. Not McInnis. The only player that played for the Flames with that last name was Marty McInnis, and I don't believe Roy would or ever did afraid of his shot.

There, done my ranting. I'll show myself out, you guys continue on.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:21 PM   #233
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Update: Yes, yes they are.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2019, 04:25 PM   #234
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Being top of the conference isn't a great indicator of who will play for the cup. In the past decade, only 2 teams have managed to play in the cup final after finishing the regular season first in their conference (2011 Canucks and 2013 Blackhawks). I think the way the Flames are playing in March will be the best indicator of how they might fare in the playoffs
Will they be successful in the playoffs is a totally different question than if you're a contender. The top 2-3 teams in the league are clearly contenders based on their ability to beat other teams.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2019, 04:27 PM   #235
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

The Hockey News has a podcast asking this same question. Has anyone listened to it? If so can you provide the Coles notes?
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 04:40 PM   #236
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just need to assess who could be semi finalists in each conference and determine how CGY matches up. Obviously upsets happen and teams tinker but:

For example how would CGY match up against
NSH
WPG
VGK
????
TBL
WAS
TOR
????
etc

Do you counter WAS with adding one more big guy? Will that do it? Or do you try and beat them with more of what you do best?

I think about who can get the puck out when the puck is rimmed in your end and your guy on the wall has to get it out? Maybe you don’t have to be big and shield against the d crashing down the wall on you, maybe you’re quicker and can chip it past. Bottom line is it has to get out.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 04:46 PM   #237
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Just need to assess who could be semi finalists in each conference and determine how CGY matches up. Obviously upsets happen and teams tinker but:

For example how would CGY match up against
NSH
WPG
VGK
????
TBL
WAS
TOR
????
etc

Do you counter WAS with adding one more big guy? Will that do it? Or do you try and beat them with more of what you do best?

I think about who can get the puck out when the puck is rimmed in your end and your guy on the wall has to get it out? Maybe you don’t have to be big and shield against the d crashing down the wall on you, maybe you’re quicker and can chip it past. Bottom line is it has to get out.

For me, at this point and I am BT, I would have to think that i need to get through Winnipeg in the West and TB in the final in a 7 game series.

Do I have a team that can do both those things?

Im really not sure they can.

Maybe its as simple as getting James Neal to be James Neal instead of being Garnet Hathaway, and Mike Smith remembering how to play hockey, along with avoiding major injury.

Cant count on those things though.

I would think some addition(s) are required.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:48 PM   #238
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The Flames have already demonstrate that they can play the Jets, Knights and Nashville well. We saw them keep up with Tampa thanks to their ability to score in bunches, and shut down Toronto impressively. Washington I'm not sure how they'd stack up, but we'll get a better feel after their upcoming date in DC.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 06:01 PM   #239
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
The Flames have already demonstrate that they can play the Jets, Knights and Nashville well. We saw them keep up with Tampa thanks to their ability to score in bunches, and shut down Toronto impressively. Washington I'm not sure how they'd stack up, but we'll get a better feel after their upcoming date in DC.

Both Jets games unless my memory is hazy we came out strong potted some goals and then Winnipeg woke up and started out-shooting us and dominating possession. I would still be concerned about them especially if they get the lead first for once in the playoffs.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 06:22 PM   #240
Yobbo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

After watching the NHL playoffs for over 30 years, my take is that you never really know how the playoffs are going to turn out. Anyone that makes it in is a contender, and it's been proven time and time again. Who would have thought the 2004 Flames were going to capture lightening in a bottle, and almost win the Cup that year. (We did actually win it though)

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Yobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yobbo For This Useful Post: