Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-07-2011, 05:59 PM   #101
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelBridgeman View Post
I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure they will switch to a repeat parody if they don't get the next skit ready prior to the end of the commercial
That definitely makes sense. I have always wondered what happens if there's a stage/costume issue and they can't start a skit on time. I guess that's why the show runs overtime sometimes as well?

If this is the case, I take back my earlier comment
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:56 PM   #102
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vanessa Bayer sucks. Her Miley is the only funny character, and you know they're going to use that to death.

Also, her teeth are distracting.

Abby Elliott was growing on me before they started up with the awful Khloe Kardasian.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:11 PM   #103
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
Vanessa Bayer sucks. Her Miley is the only funny character, and you know they're going to use that to death.

Also, her teeth are distracting.

Abby Elliott was growing on me before they started up with the awful Khloe Kardasian.
I want to stab Abby Elliot in the throat when she does her Khloe impression. God I hate that voice.

Vanessa Bayer is never funny.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:00 AM   #104
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
I want to stab Abby Elliot in the throat when she does her Khloe impression. God I hate that voice.
That's how I feel when Nasim Pedard does her Kim Kardashian impression. Frankly, I think it's the Kardashian connection. Although, I hated Jenny Slate's alarm clock/door bell sales person character too. It's something about that nasally voice that drives me mad.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:58 AM   #105
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Just an observation - the female posters here seem especially harsh in their criticism of female cast members.

What's up with that?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:22 AM   #106
parch
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Just an observation - the female posters here seem especially harsh in their criticism of female cast members.

What's up with that?

Ooooo weeeeee!

I just can't stand Miley Cyrus (though I did like the french dancing skit). I don't really know any of the other girls, I just find them to be more annoying than funny. Mostly what's been mentioned already, like the Kardashians, and the girl that plays Miley. I can think of a few skits where the girls have made me laugh (this would be a lot easier if I knew the names of said females), but I find them few and far between. Maybe it's just me, I just rarely find female comedians to be as funny as male comedians. It seems like they're always trying too hard or something.
parch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:40 AM   #107
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just watched the pvr last night, and the only thing I didn't like was the face cream and rockabilly cd skit. I was mostly wtf over that.
The black eyed peas was hilarious, most everything else was great, but I thought the French fight one was really really good. Not because it made me laugh but the choreography, I guess, that goes into that was pretty involved. For all of them to only go through that a couple of times prior to live performance and not fawk it up was impressive.

Last edited by DuffMan; 03-08-2011 at 10:16 AM.
DuffMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:46 AM   #108
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
fyp
You are Iginla, and I am Tanguay.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:08 AM   #109
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Quote:

What's up with that?
It might seem that way, but I love Kristen Wiig, whom a lot of people have had enough of. I think it really depends on the sketches. Abby Elliott has really grown on me and I don't think there's a current female cast member I'd ever fast forward a scene on because she's in it. It's just the character they might be portraying.

Last edited by Mango; 03-08-2011 at 10:17 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:26 AM   #110
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
That definitely makes sense. I have always wondered what happens if there's a stage/costume issue and they can't start a skit on time. I guess that's why the show runs overtime sometimes as well?

If this is the case, I take back my earlier comment
The only reason why I think this is the case, because if you watch some of the backstage footage on the SNL website, there is one video where the director is counting down the seconds till they go live and when it looks like they may not have the set up in time, he request that one of the commercial parodies gets queued up .. they do make the his countdown and the skit goes on. I always thought that the show runs late, cause it starts late usually at 35 after, but that is a good question, if they can't get a skit up in time, do they scrap it or run it after whatever replaced it
MelBridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:44 AM   #111
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
That's how I feel when Nasim Pedard does her Kim Kardashian impression. Frankly, I think it's the Kardashian connection. Although, I hated Jenny Slate's alarm clock/door bell sales person character too. It's something about that nasally voice that drives me mad.
I think Nasim Pedard is f'n hot. There's been quite a few sketches when they have her showing some skin where I'm pretty much just eye-balling her the whole time. That Miley Cyrus girl (not just the character but the actress herself) can get kind of annoying.

I agree with one of the female posters in this thread who said they usually don't find women performers as funny as the male ones(not just on SNL, but in general). I don't think it's because they try too hard, I just think for the most part they just do material that seems to appeal mostly to women (like doing a fiery diva sketch). It's not really trans-gender humour. Which is why I like Kristen Wiig so much, because she's not like that, she's just a funny person in general. Last year she was my favourite person on that show, but her sketches have been getting a little over the top lately, Bill Hader's my guy now. That guy's funny in everything he does.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2011, 11:23 AM   #112
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Whitney Cummings is funny, if not totally inappropriate and attractive. Probably not a fit for SNL though.

NSFW - Roast of David Hasselhoff
http://www.whitneycummings.com/video_hoff.html
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:29 PM   #113
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure why all the hate when they spoof the Kardashians. Those chicks are annoying and stupid and only care about themselves. They are portrayed perfectly by the women on SNL. I look forward to when they're on.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:41 PM   #114
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANFLAMESFAN View Post
Not sure why all the hate when they spoof the Kardashians. Those chicks are annoying and stupid and only care about themselves. They are portrayed perfectly by the women on SNL. I look forward to when they're on.
I just like it so I can eye-f*** Nasim the whole time, man she looks good when she's supposed to be KK. I really hope that's not a prosthetic butt thing she's wearing. I like to think its the full meal deal.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:42 PM   #115
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANFLAMESFAN View Post
I think it's my strong dislike for the real Kardashians clouds my judgement in regards to the impressions of them on SNL. I dislike them that much. Kudos to the actresses for bringing that out in me, because it shows they are really doing their jobs well.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:53 PM   #116
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it just me or does Abby Elliot use the same voice for all her characters...
MelBridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:01 PM   #117
Prototype

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelBridgeman View Post
Is it just me or does Abby Elliot use the same voice for all her characters...
It's just you. There's a big difference between her Kardashian, to her Angelina Jolie, to her Anna Ferris. Then again, I'm a fan of hers, and think she's under used.

Last edited by Prototype; 03-08-2011 at 02:50 PM.
Prototype is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Prototype For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2011, 11:17 AM   #118
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Zach's monologue was one for the ages. Keenan and Zach doing scared straight was fun too.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_835079.html

Once again, as host of 'SNL' Zach Galifianakis proved why he's become one of the most popular "alternative" comedy performers, and has remained that even as he has achieved serious mainstream success. He's intensely likable, comfortingly weird and has an innate integrity that is unique to him.

His opening monologue was a refreshing return to the format of a great comedian delivering strong jokes, & it reminded us of how nice it is to see someone hosting 'SNL' because they are truly funny, not just famous.

Best line - "Ask" Body Spray.

Last edited by troutman; 03-14-2011 at 11:20 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:23 AM   #119
parch
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I thought Zach did a GREAT job. Especially the monologue. I haven't laughed that much watching SNL in a long, long time. I thought the one about the dog was kind of dumb, but loved everything else. "Ask" Body Spray was the best, agreed. Hahaha. So good.

Watching him also got me very excited for Hangover 2.
parch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:24 AM   #120
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Best line - "Ask" Body Spray.
"If you don't understand that joke, it means you're not racist."