Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2019, 11:07 AM   #41
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly06Cup View Post
Lol? The most liked post is that Raffl was playing hard defense, took a light swipe across Malkin's head, so it's his fault and the refs fault for this incident?

Malkin violently swings his stick at head-height. If Malkin fully connects, that's in the same realm as McSorley. Malkin is a goon. He should be punished more severely, and is lucky his stick swing didn't connect.
This isn't even close to being comparable to the McSorley incident. I could get into why it isn't, but if you're someone who doesn't already get why it isn't than you're probably not going to be convinced if I do get into it... which means I get to point out you're wrong and save myself a bunch of time and drama. Win-win!
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:27 AM   #42
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly06Cup View Post
Lol? The most liked post is that Raffl was playing hard defense, took a light swipe across Malkin's head, so it's his fault and the refs fault for this incident?

Malkin violently swings his stick at head-height. If Malkin fully connects, that's in the same realm as McSorley. Malkin is a goon. He should be punished more severely, and is lucky his stick swing didn't connect.
Since when is punching someone in the back of the head classified as defense? I suppose Todd Bertuzzi was just defending against Steve Moore?

Check your bias before bothering with another post.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 12:16 PM   #43
Lord Carnage
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
What?

Yes it is.

60.4 Match Penalty - When, in the opinion of the Referee, a player or goalkeeper attempts to or deliberately injures an opponent while carrying or holding any part of his stick above the shoulders of the opponent, the Referee shall assess a match penalty to the offending player.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
lol, no. That is a deliberate attempt to injure match penalty all day, every day.

I guess that when I look at this, my take is that he definitely swings his stick at Raffl intentionally, but I don't see that kind of a swing as "intent to injure" any more than Raffl's punch to the head.

Now if this were a two-handed chop to the head (hit or miss), then I could see the argument for 'intent to injure', but I don't see it here. But careless, sure thing.

Heck, I think most of the slashes to Johnny's hands are more of an intent to injure than this one is.

Last edited by Lord Carnage; 02-12-2019 at 12:18 PM.
Lord Carnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 12:26 PM   #44
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Carnage View Post
I guess that when I look at this, my take is that he definitely swings his stick at Raffl intentionally, but I don't see that kind of a swing as "intent to injure" any more than Raffl's punch to the head.

Now if this were a two-handed chop to the head (hit or miss), then I could see the argument for 'intent to injure', but I don't see it here. But careless, sure thing.

Heck, I think most of the slashes to Johnny's hands are more of an intent to injure than this one is.

Tell ya what...i will let you give me a quick jab to the back of my head and then i get a full one handed swing with my stick to the side of yours.

Lets see who is injured and who isnt. You can be assured that my swing is most certainly an intent to do something....you can decide what.

Then let's decide if both actions are somehow equal.

(This is merely hypothetical and not intended as a real challenge to anybody but just a way to look at what happened)
Old 02-12-2019, 12:29 PM   #45
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Reckless by Malkin...embellishment by Raffl...
Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 12:37 PM   #46
Lord Carnage
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Tell ya what...i will let you give me a quick jab to the back of my head and then i get a full one handed swing with my stick to the side of yours.

Lets see who is injured and who isnt. You can be assured that my swing is most certainly an intent to do something....you can decide what.

Then let's decide if both actions are somehow equal.

(This is merely hypothetical and not intended as a real challenge to anybody but just a way to look at what happened)

With the padding players wear, a 1-handed swing of a stick is no more likely to cause injury than a punch.

I believe the slash qualifies as careless because it ended up a head height, and you are responsible for your stick at all times, but that's as far as I'm willing to take it.

The punch definitely landed where Raffl was aiming - the head - which most people agree is the one area that should be left alone.

Again, no deliberate intent to injure by Malkin in my opinion...
Old 02-12-2019, 12:43 PM   #47
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

How much padding do players wear on their face, Lord Carnage?
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 12:48 PM   #48
Lord Carnage
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
How much padding do players wear on their face, Lord Carnage?

Again - careless...

If he had done a 2-handed aim at the head, then I'm all on board with intent to injure, whether he had contacted or not.

This was a careless swing that should be addressed, but not what I interpret as intent to injure.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:51 PM   #49
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Carnage View Post
Again - careless...

If he had done a 2-handed aim at the head, then I'm all on board with intent to injure, whether he had contacted or not.

This was a careless swing that should be addressed, but not what I interpret as intent to injure.
Does “intent to inflict pain” work?
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 01:02 PM   #50
Lord Carnage
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Does “intent to inflict pain” work?

Actually, yes, I believe the intent was to inflict pain (in response to the cross check and the punch), but to me that isn't the same thing as intent to injure.

Like the goalie to the player standing right in front of him and getting in his way constantly... a chop to the back of the legs to say, "get out of the crease area", but that isn't deemed intent to injure...

Last edited by Lord Carnage; 02-12-2019 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:05 PM   #51
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 01:24 PM   #52
Philly06Cup
Closet Jedi

Exp:

Crosschecks / slashes / even jabs to the head are acceptable parts of playing rough.
Swinging your stick at head-height is never acceptable. It's stupid, dangerous and potentially career threatening.
How everyone here is focusing on the first is completely absurd.

The Athletic has a good collection of times Malkin has been a buffoon. How he's never been suspended before is amazing.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:40 PM   #53
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Malkin will never stand of for his actions. He's always skating away while his team mates handle things. Coward.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 01:58 PM   #54
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm also surprised at some of the reaction here. A crosscheck and a punch to the head is worth an attempted full-speed 180 degree slash to the face? Seriously? It was barely a punch anyways. Somewhere between a punch and a shove. Happens every single shift. Extremely reckless by Malkin and he deserves to be punished.

Here's a similar play that connected. They show Gagner's broken mug in the video. Kassian got five games and the rest of the preseason.

Malkin's swing is as clear an attempt to injure as I've ever seen. Luckily he didn't connect or it would have been ugly.
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sun For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2019, 02:01 PM   #55
sworkhard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
Which is dumb. They should punish the action, not the result.
I disagree. The punishment should always take into account the result; otherwise you are just encouraging players, having realized they are committing a spendable action, to make the consequences felt as much as possible, thereby having the opposite effect of what we want from a player safety perspective

Last edited by sworkhard; 02-12-2019 at 02:04 PM.
sworkhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:05 PM   #56
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworkhard View Post
I disagree. The punishment should always take into account the result; otherwise you are just encouraging players, having realized they are committing a spendable action, to make the consequences felt as much as possible, thereby having the opposite effect of what we want from a player safety perspective

Or, you know, even attempting something has them thinking they shouldn't do it in the first place?
Old 02-12-2019, 03:33 PM   #57
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

For reference Kessel got 3 games (preseason) for this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrgYmRBnjg
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:45 PM   #58
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

1 Game. Got off lucky I think.