Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2019, 11:04 PM   #81
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Right now Rittich has all the weight on him. It has to be bit of a burden when he knows he is not pulling through.

It's not Smith's fault, but the psychological aspect probably doesn't help.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:30 PM   #82
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is why Smith being horrible hurts the team. In a situation like this where Rittich is fighting it, you'd normally throw your semi-capable backup in there and let them play while Rittich works out the kinks in practice and reset himself.

The problem is that he doesn't have the ability to work out those problems so it snowballs.

We desperately need a backup that is of an NHL calibre. We don't have one right now.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2019, 03:51 AM   #83
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't believe Rittich is the teams weakness by a long shot. Rittich has been solid and is doing everything you could hope for out of a second year goalie taking over the starting reins.

Our weaknesses are:

- A reliable 2nd goalie that can be counted on to spell Rittich everyone once in a while. Smith may have a fair amount of wins but he cannot be counted on enough to stop pucks.
- A top 6 RWer to play with Tkachuk and Backlund so we can have 2 scoring lines. Throughout the course of the season only the top line has been consistent offensivly. I've liked the 3rd and 4th line contributions lately and think they are starting to develop some chemistry but the 2nd line just isn't strong enough IMO.
- A lack of size and grit throughout the lineup and a need for some more depth options.

Adding a guy like Stone would go a long way to solving most of the issues but I'm not sure how to fix the goaltending issue without risking making it even worse (considering Smith is part of the strong team chemistry the team has going).

Either way Rittich is not a problem in my books other than the fact I think he could use a solid partner to create a reliable tandem.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:33 AM   #84
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Yes. It's what backup goalies do.
And even then, he's god awful. Against non playoff teams: A roughly 3.03 GAA and .878 save percentage.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:41 AM   #85
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

David Rittich is currently having the worst stretch of his season. There’s been a couple he would like to have back. But I’m still confident he can get out of this rut. Unfortunately for BSD, he hasn’t had a lot of chances to play against the bad teams of the league.

The Flames should give him a softie to get him his confidence back and throw the curveball at Smith to see whether or not he can beat a tough team before the TDL. Can’t be gift wrapping all the easy ones to Smith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:42 AM   #86
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Rittich had a rough end to last season after looking pretty good to start. He rebounded to have a fantastic start to this season and is now slumping a bit. Given his past results, I fully expect him to bounce back and look unstoppable soon enough.

Just watch that right shoulder Dave.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:09 AM   #87
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
This is why Smith being horrible hurts the team. In a situation like this where Rittich is fighting it, you'd normally throw your semi-capable backup in there and let them play while Rittich works out the kinks in practice and reset himself.

The problem is that he doesn't have the ability to work out those problems so it snowballs.

We desperately need a backup that is of an NHL calibre. We don't have one right now.

I agree. That said flames, need more than a back-up. They need a 1B goalie at the least.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:20 AM   #88
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

A back-up would be fine. Especially for a game like tomorrow where it makes perfect sense to run with the back-up. Except everybody from the most ardent superfan right down to the second assistant water boy is going to spend the entire game wondering when and how Smith is going to screw it up.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2019, 09:41 AM   #89
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

IMO the reason for wanting a 1B goalie, is because in the back of their minds Rittich may not be the answer and want a safety net. A back up goalie shouldn't be that high on priority list, unless you have reservations on the starter.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:31 AM   #90
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
This is why Smith being horrible hurts the team. In a situation like this where Rittich is fighting it, you'd normally throw your semi-capable backup in there and let them play while Rittich works out the kinks in practice and reset himself...
Between 23 Nov–9 Dec Rittich was 0-2-1 in four starts and was pulled once. In that two week period Mike Smith rattled off 6 wins posting a 1.59 GAA and a 0.939 SP, and he pitched a shutout. That looks exactly like what you are describing here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2019, 10:40 AM   #91
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Between 23 Nov–9 Dec Rittich was 0-2-1 in four starts and was pulled once. In that two week period Mike Smith rattled off 6 wins posting a 1.59 GAA and a 0.939 SP, and he pitched a shutout. That looks exactly like what you are describing here.
Im assuming Mike Smith is starting next game so let see if he can rattle off some wins going forward.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:52 AM   #92
Hoop27
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I'm far more concerned about Sigalet than the goaltenders themselves (brain farts excluded obviously)

In the past 18 months or so I have seen a change to both goaltenders approach that has me shaking my head. Really hard to explain without a long winded post. (Which I can do if you want to hear it)
Old 02-13-2019, 10:55 AM   #93
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
Im assuming Mike Smith is starting next game so let see if he can rattle off some wins going forward.
I think Smith starts tomorrow, but I am not convinced that the coaches are running a strategy of playing the "hot hand."

I expect Rittich to play in Pittsburgh regardless of what happens tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:45 AM   #94
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think Smith starts tomorrow, but I am not convinced that the coaches are running a strategy of playing the "hot hand."

I expect Rittich to play in Pittsburgh regardless of what happens tomorrow.
Probably. Smith was given a lot of rope at the beginning of the season before they finally made Rittich the starter.

I really like the potential of Rittich in the next few years, but he is not a true top 10 goalie in the NHL yet despite what some stats say. He doesn't pass the eye test IMO.

But I think he is good enough to be in a 1A/1B situation.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:57 AM   #95
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I think he's likely not as good as his all world stats before Christmas, and not as bad as his stats since the team came back.

Before Xmas Break
.923 in 20 appearances - top ten starter

After Xmas Break
.896 in 14 appearances - bottom tier backup
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:04 PM   #96
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I think he's likely not as good as his all world stats before Christmas, and not as bad as his stats since the team came back.

Before Xmas Break
.923 in 20 appearances - top ten starter

After Xmas Break
.896 in 14 appearances - bottom tier backup
The truth is somewhere in the middle much like Koskinen in Edmonton. Fortunately the Flames weren't foolish enough to hand him a contract when he was coming off a hot streak. I don't pretend to know if he's going to be a quality starter in this league but IMO you need a goaltender that is pretty consistent over a season and Rittich hasn't been that over his career to date.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:14 PM   #97
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoop27 View Post
I'm far more concerned about Sigalet than the goaltenders themselves (brain farts excluded obviously)

In the past 18 months or so I have seen a change to both goaltenders approach that has me shaking my head. Really hard to explain without a long winded post. (Which I can do if you want to hear it)

I’d be interested.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2019, 01:50 PM   #98
Hoop27
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Then I'll throw something together for you to read today/tonight DeluxeMustache. Wish I could just strap on my gear and show it in photos but you know stroke, left side buggered, etc.

edit: long winded post @ #102

Last edited by Hoop27; 02-13-2019 at 06:53 PM.
Hoop27 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hoop27 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2019, 01:53 PM   #99
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Of all the playoffs teams in the West (as of today), I'd say with the exception of St. Louis, we have the least desirable goaltending. Not a good look.
Duffalufagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Duffalufagus For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2019, 02:41 PM   #100
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

As bad as it is to say, the goalie I'd target is Talbot. It's hard to play for a team like Edmonton. Imagine him playing behind an nhl level defense.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote