Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 12:03 PM   #221
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I get it. But baseball and basketball live with it.

You're right, some OT's would extend beyond 20 minutes. Each team would maybe have 1 game like that a year? And like I said, a subtle rule change like over and back might reduce the ragging of the puck we sometimes see.
Well you're preaching to the choir because I totally agree with everything you say.

They were having this discussion on NHL radio a few weeks ago.
They mentioned time and also the players getting tired.

Not sure what the answer is but I don't see the shootout going anywhere.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:11 PM   #222
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chummer View Post
Well you're preaching to the choir because I totally agree with everything you say.

They were having this discussion on NHL radio a few weeks ago.
They mentioned time and also the players getting tired.

Not sure what the answer is but I don't see the shootout going anywhere.
I don't totally understand why the shootout has become so lame. I used to think PK's in soccer were the worst, but it is way more interesting than the shootout IMO.

Maybe soccer allows a little time to build drama. There is no drama in the shootout. You don't feel any pressure. And the shooters don't seem that into it a lot of the time.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:16 PM   #223
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hard to really blame Rittich for any of the goals when the scorers had all day to walk in as close as they needed , time to smoke a cigarette, then let her rip with no fear of someone checking you. That’s what ticks me off about the flames defending at times. The stretch in the second period where the flames totally checked Vancouver to death is what they will need a lot more of if they plan on doing any damage in the playoffs and the rest of the regular season for that matter
Old 02-10-2019, 12:17 PM   #224
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

The shootout is lame because more often than not, shooters go for the ‘safe’ option.

By safe, I mean keeping themselves safe from criticism.

Do something flash or unpredictable and miss, you get slaughtered.

But you’d probably be just as likely to score as make an arse of yourself.

And they’d be more entertaining than the procession of predictably NHL shootouts have become.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:21 PM   #225
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember when people liked the shootout.

Ties are never coming back. Loser points exist because teams would play for the tie.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:24 PM   #226
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Just extend three on three until you have a winner
More often than not it would still be less time than the shootout and the longer ones would just be that much more exciting
There's definitely some ideal OT period length that would eliminate 95% of shootouts.

I bet if they went to just 7 or 8 minutes of OT, it would do the trick.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:29 PM   #227
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
I remember when people liked the shootout.

Ties are never coming back. Loser points exist because teams would play for the tie.
Not sure what this means. What difference does it make to OT that clubs would play for the tie if there was no S|O vs the way it is now?

I mean there is a whole other point there if you win in OT but the other club already gets one as well. I dont see how getting rid of the SO changes that.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:30 PM   #228
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
There's definitely some ideal OT period length that would eliminate 95% of shootouts.

I bet if they went to just 7 or 8 minutes of OT, it would do the trick.
Is there a website that tracks how many games are decided in OT vs SO?
Old 02-10-2019, 12:31 PM   #229
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I get it. But baseball and basketball live with it.

You're right, some OT's would extend beyond 20 minutes. Each team would maybe have 1 game like that a year? And like I said, a subtle rule change like over and back might reduce the ragging of the puck we sometimes see.
Do you think so? I would be stunned if a single game each year went 20 full minutes without a goal in 3v3 OT, to say nothing for one each team. As it is now most games in extra time end within five mins. I would bet it would be rare for any games to extend past ten. Fifteen mins would be approaching uncharted territory. Twenty mins? I bet it wouldn’t happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 02-10-2019, 12:32 PM   #230
skudr248
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole436 View Post
Was at Rogers arena. Canucks fan tried to fight me in the 300’s by grabbing my jersey by the neck. Fellow CP poster slapped him in the face and he never bothered us again.

I hate that team.
hey!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skudr248 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2019, 12:34 PM   #231
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If you brought back the tie, but only after 10 minutes of OT, they would at least not be frequent.

Probably 1 or 2 of every 10 OTs would run out without a decision.

And if the games really started to matter, teams would push in OT for the extra point if they really needed it. Then you'd have exciting OTs in march and april with teams on the outside needing to score for that extra point. I'd tune in for that.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:35 PM   #232
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Not sure what this means. What difference does it make to OT that clubs would play for the tie if there was no S|O vs the way it is now?

I mean there is a whole other point there if you win in OT but the other club already gets one as well. I dont see how getting rid of the SO changes that.
Whatever the shootout gets replaced with, the alternative cannot go back to teams playing for the one point.

Right now, two points to one team are guaranteed. It has to remain that way. So ties aren't happening again.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:40 PM   #233
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Do you think so? I would be stunned if a single game each year went 20 full minutes without a goal in 3v3 OT, to say nothing for one each team. As it is now most games in extra time end within five mins. I would bet it would be rare for any games to extend past ten. Fifteen mins would be approaching uncharted territory. Twenty mins? I bet it wouldn’t happen.

I haven't been to a shootout game in years but you were there last night.

Did the fans not seem to enjoy it? I think the NHL would argue the fans love the shootout.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:44 PM   #234
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:

Did the fans not seem to enjoy it? I think the NHL would argue the fans love the shootout.
Personally, I will tune into any game that is going into OT because I love it.

If OT ends and the game is going to a shootout, I literally always stop watching unless the Flames are involved. I have no interest in the shootout at all.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:47 PM   #235
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Personally, I will tune into any game that is going into OT because I love it.

If OT ends and the game is going to a shootout, I literally always stop watching unless the Flames are involved. I have no interest in the shootout at all.
Totally agree.
The Following User Says Thank You to chummer For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2019, 12:54 PM   #236
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:

It’s hard to say. The fans love winning, so was the crowd’s engagement during the shootout a reflection of that, or was it a product of the exercise on ice?

I had never seen a shootout before, and I found it quite boring. Like I said, it was my wife’s first hockey game, and I think her reaction is telling:

She is not a hockey fan. She tolerates when I watch because she is just that amazing. She had fun last night, but when 3v3 started, she lit up. She said to me after the first minute: “Why don’t they play the whole game like this?” After the shootout, she called it anticlimactic, and again said it would be much better if they just continued to play 3v3.

So, I don’t know. The fans in attendance last night seemed to enjoy the shootout, but I don’t think anymore so than they enjoyed overtime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2019, 12:56 PM   #237
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Whatever the shootout gets replaced with, the alternative cannot go back to teams playing for the one point.

Right now, two points to one team are guaranteed. It has to remain that way. So ties aren't happening again.

This is the part i dont get.

Why?

we have most games now that award only 2 points...whats the problem if some more go that way?
Old 02-10-2019, 01:13 PM   #238
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post

The whole approach could change if there was no definitive stopping point but I do kind of think a few games could go long. And I suppose the quality of play could deteriorate due to fatigue with fewer scoring chances resulting, so that's why I'd consider ways to reduce the time wasting parts.

I get the fatigue factor but one thing about 4 vs 3, it's not physical at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2019, 01:25 PM   #239
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
If you brought back the tie, but only after 10 minutes of OT, they would at least not be frequent.

Probably 1 or 2 of every 10 OTs would run out without a decision.

And if the games really started to matter, teams would push in OT for the extra point if they really needed it. Then you'd have exciting OTs in march and april with teams on the outside needing to score for that extra point. I'd tune in for that.

The TV companies wont go for it, they need a reasonably predictable end to a game within the length of a couple of commercial breaks
Old 02-10-2019, 02:08 PM   #240
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
The TV companies wont go for it, they need a reasonably predictable end to a game within the length of a couple of commercial breaks
Yeah part of the reason for shootout vs extended OT was meant to have a conclusion without more time for TV to go over the limit which they are comfortable with.

Plus I am sure the PA would have issue (if only trivial, but anything to be the opposite voice of the league) of player health with an extra 5 minute (and certainly more)OT 3 on 3. It was likely discussed when the rules changed.

There is no easy answer outside of bringing back ties.
Closed Thread