Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 01-29-2019, 08:49 AM   #41
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Could the Oilers get desperate and trade the 1st pick and Puljujärvi for him just to squeeze into a wildcard spot. Probably worth it for Katz as he will generate playoff revenue and get the renewals he desperately needs.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:54 AM   #42
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
Could the Oilers get desperate and trade the 1st pick and Puljujärvi for him just to squeeze into a wildcard spot. Probably worth it for Katz as he will generate playoff revenue and get the renewals he desperately needs.
I assume you mean Panarin? I almost hope so and then they re-sign him for $10M and just really screw themselves over.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 11:21 AM   #43
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

If you want more smoke to the Flyers being a landing spot, Dreger says the Flyers were very close to acquiring Panarin at the draft

https://www.nicholsonhockey.com/arch...contract-range
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 11:27 AM   #44
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I wonder if Philly could swing something huge to land both Panarin & Bobrovsky.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 11:29 AM   #45
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
Ha who knows. According to Nicholson they are not trading the future for help now.
Would be another full out disaster when Panarin signs elsewhere come FA.
It could push them to a wildcard though.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 11:32 AM   #46
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

It'd sure suck for Columbus to keep Panarin and Bobrovsky and then get bounced in the 1st round again.

I'm gonna predict they trade Panarin and keep Bobrovsky (but Bob walks away for $10 million to someone desperate for a goalie in the off-season.)
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 12:10 PM   #47
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
While I largely agree, its not that simple for Kekunspellablelainen.

Bob and Panarin havent explicitly stated that they wont stay with Columbus, just that they wont negotiate during the season and want to test the UFA market.

They could still stay and be cornerstones of the team but just use UFA as a bargaining chip to increase their contracts, but if you trade them then they almost certainly wont be back.

Plus, they're rentals which would diminish their 'haul.'

I'd love to nab Panarin though.
Not even willing to negotiate with their own team during the season in their last contract season? To me, that's pretty much the kiss of death they are headed to UFA status. I'm sure their are a few examples throughout history of UFA players refusing to negotiate during the season, reaching UFA status, and re-signing with the original team (Stamkos?). But I'm willing to bet the list of players that end up signing elsewhere is significantly larger.

Both players might be rentals, but they are the kind of rentals that push teams over the top. More so then the usual bottom 6 or bottom pairing players we so often see moved at the deadline. So I think their returns will in fact be quite substantial. An elite 1st line winger and 2x vezina winner on the market will definitely have a huge bidding war over them. Especially Panarin.

The Columbus GM (I refuse to try to spell his last name) is in a unique position. Sure his team is in the playoff hunt. But his biggest 2 pending UFAs are both still star players, who could garner big returns and set them up well for the future. If I'm him, I strongly try to move both for large returns and set my team up for the future. Especially since Bob isn't exactly stellar in the playoffs, and the BJ's aren't quite cup contenders. Losing them both for nothing AND getting bounced in the 1st round would be a horrible scenario IMO.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 12:13 PM   #48
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
It'd sure suck for Columbus to keep Panarin and Bobrovsky and then get bounced in the 1st round again.

I'm gonna predict they trade Panarin and keep Bobrovsky (but Bob walks away for $10 million to someone desperate for a goalie in the off-season.)
Bob is not getting 10m in free agency. Bishop had a way way way better track record including playoffs and was signed for a fraction of that. The ONLY team that overpays that bad is Edmonton and they don't have the cap space.

Bob gets 6-7 if he's lucky or has a good/ great playoff.
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kipper_3434 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2019, 12:41 PM   #49
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Bobrovsky's stock has dropped this season for a variety of reasons including his play and attitude issues.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 01:27 PM   #50
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think you need to trade at least one of them, in case the other one doesn't stay.

Can't have both UFA's walk, that would be terrible for the Jackets.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 02:09 PM   #51
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:
icon53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper_3434 View Post
Bob is not getting 10m in free agency. Bishop had a way way way better track record including playoffs and was signed for a fraction of that. The ONLY team that overpays that bad is Edmonton and they don't have the cap space.

Bob gets 6-7 if he's lucky or has a good/ great playoff.
Bobrovsky has 2 Vezina trophies. He's definitely getting more than Bishop.

I don't believe it will be a good contract but it will be a big one.

Last edited by Geeoff; 01-29-2019 at 02:18 PM.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 05:11 PM   #52
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Aaron Portzline @Aportzline
A smattering of boos when Artemi Panarin is announced in the starting lineup and when he touches the puck shortly after #CBJ win face-off.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 05:14 PM   #53
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

If we could somehow fit Panarin on to this team for the run it would be insanity

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Panarin - Backlund - Tkachuk
Bennett - Jankowski - Neal
Hathaway - Ryan - Frolik

... my god
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:18 PM   #54
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
Bobrovsky has 2 Vezina trophies. He's definitely getting more than Bishop.

I don't believe it will be a good contract but it will be a big one.
Bishop has won in the playoffs
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:56 PM   #55
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
If you want more smoke to the Flyers being a landing spot, Dreger says the Flyers were very close to acquiring Panarin at the draft

https://www.nicholsonhockey.com/arch...contract-range
Dreger admits it slipped under his almighty radar and speculated about a bunch of other destinations.

He’s no good
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 11:07 PM   #56
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

i expect bob to be traded, but panarin, they might roll the dice to keep him for the playoff run and then trade him before the draft... it depends on how set panarin is to go to NYR i suppose...

his value would drop of course, unless they can somehow convince him to do a sign and trade prior to the draft - something that happens quite a bit in the NBA but not really in the NHL...
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 11:24 PM   #57
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

^
I think Columbus, desperate for any sort of playoff success, will keep Panarin if they can't get something really good in return, and try to salvage something as he apparently has a few teams he'd be interested in, and getting him to agree to a deal would take him off the market for everyone else.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 04:53 AM   #58
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Panarin gets dealt before the deadline to a team looking to shake things up. But not for futures but for another really good forward with term remaining. In the vein of the Voracek trade idea for example.

Bobrovsky IMO stays put for the remainder of the season. Just too many roadblocks to successfully trade a pending UFA goalie with a 7 million cap hit and a full NMC mid season.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 07:45 AM   #59
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the fans are booing him, I'd imagine any sliver of chance Columbus had to re-sign him his all but gone.

He needs to be traded at the deadline or lost for nothing, so it'll be interesting to see who the highest bidder is.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:20 AM   #60
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I think Panarin gets dealt before the deadline to a team looking to shake things up. But not for futures but for another really good forward with term remaining. In the vein of the Voracek trade idea for example.

Bobrovsky IMO stays put for the remainder of the season. Just too many roadblocks to successfully trade a pending UFA goalie with a 7 million cap hit and a full NMC mid season.
The last time that I can remember a number one goalie being traded as a rental was Roloson. And there, I think the notion was just to get into the POs (not ease their way into the finals after the top 4 western teams shat the bed). Edmonton finished with 95 points, behind the Flames, Stars, Sharks, Ducks, Preds and Wings and tied with the Avs. I doubt the finals were a serious thought.

Usually a team in a position to rent is in good enough PO shape that they already have a decent number one.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote