Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-08-2016, 08:10 PM   #81
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperloge77 View Post
just recently discovered Sevens with a bout of insomnia and nothing much else to watch at night. absolutely love the sport. question. what's the highest level league in Canada, or is there? Just club level and National team at this point?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
You can see it live in Vancouver next month as well, both mens and womens.
They are in North American next month. Vegas from the 4th to the 6th and Vancouver on the 12th and 13th.

Interestingly the tickets seem a little pricy for the Vancouver event, especially considering it is the first time in Canada and they don't have a big rugby fan base. They are asking for $50 for General Admission while I only paid $30 in Sydney.
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:22 AM   #82
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
You can't really compare with 3 on 3 hockey where physicality has been completely removed from the game. Rugby Sevens still has huge tackles, intense scrums, and epic try line stands.
No but much of the tactical aspects of the game have been removed.

My comparison was that 3 on 3 is simplified version of hockey, much like 7's is a simplified version of 15's.

While 7's is technical, it is technical in it's own right, but lacks the complexity of a game of 15's.

In short it is a watered down version of a better product. I hope it acts as a gateway drug to 15's for the North American audience.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2016, 01:50 PM   #83
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have never been a fan of Hearn, I thought he was a black hole.

He appears to be doing well and scored a cracker the other day.

http://www.rugbycanada.ca/leagues/ne...D=0&page=93475

Quote:
Ciaran Hearn has agreed a contract extension with London Irish for the 2016/17 season.

The Canadian International, who joined the Club following his impressive form for Canada during the Rugby World Cup, has been a regular starter since arriving at Hazelwood.

Hearn’s versatility has seen him play in the centre and on the wing for Irish so far this season. He has made six appearances for the Club in the Aviva Premiership scoring two tries against Gloucester and Worcester respectively.

The 29-year-old has made 49 appearances for Canada, featuring in both the 2011 and 2015 Rugby World Cups, as well as representing his country in the World 7s Series.

Commenting on his decision to extend his contract with London Irish, Ciaran Hearn said: “I have only been at the Club a couple of months and everyone has been extremely accommodating in making my transition a very smooth one. I have enjoyed my time at London Irish and I’m delighted to be staying on for next season.”

London Irish Head of Rugby Operations, Glenn Delaney added: “Ciaran has shown his quality since his arrival and continues to impress in the matches he plays. His try in last weekend’s match against Worcester shows a glimpse of what he can offer us going forward.”

Quote:
Old 02-13-2016, 07:31 PM   #84
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you want to watch the 6 nations, it turns out its on Bein sports. Its delayed as far as I can tell, but its there.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 10:32 PM   #85
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alright the games aren't delayed which is pretty good if you want that channel. I just watched Ireland/France and it wasn't a great game. The worst part was a head-on-head collision for Mike McCarthy who was stretchered off. I say the worst because that just looked like it really sucked! That was unlucky, but in all I don't know how France escaped a yellow card on a number of occasions; a blatant late hit, a high tackle, intentional knock-on and the list goes on. Ireland lose 10-9 and with that their hopes of a third straight aix nations pretty much go as well.

Tomorrow morning England plays Italy. I haven't watched Scotland and Wales from today yet. In two weeks its Ireland and England at Twickenham, which should be good if the Irish injuries are somewhat recovered.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 12:07 AM   #86
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
They are in North American next month. Vegas from the 4th to the 6th and Vancouver on the 12th and 13th.

Interestingly the tickets seem a little pricy for the Vancouver event, especially considering it is the first time in Canada and they don't have a big rugby fan base. They are asking for $50 for General Admission while I only paid $30 in Sydney.
I'm headed there next month for the whole weekend. Going to be a blast. Love 7s.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to craigwd For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2016, 12:58 PM   #87
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

ARC highlights from this past weekend.

Quote:
Old 02-15-2016, 03:18 PM   #88
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwd View Post
I'm headed there next month for the whole weekend. Going to be a blast. Love 7s.
That's awesome, have fun!

Have you been to a Sevens weekend before? I'm curious of your strategy for surviving the entire weekend? I was completely beat after one day of sun, booze, and rugby, I don't think I could have handled both days.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:08 PM   #89
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
That's awesome, have fun!

Have you been to a Sevens weekend before? I'm curious of your strategy for surviving the entire weekend? I was completely beat after one day of sun, booze, and rugby, I don't think I could have handled both days.
Thanks!

Not an entire weekend. My dad and brothers have in Vegas but I didn't have time off then.

No real plan - being inside BC Place should take care of the sun and I don't expect to be inside watching every single match, will want to soak up some of the other experiences. Also, need a chance to bum around Van-city which is something I enjoy too.

As for the booze, I'm not too worried. We space it out and don't really overdo it anyways.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:21 PM   #90
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks!

Not an entire weekend. My dad and brothers have in Vegas but I didn't have time off then.

No real plan - being inside BC Place should take care of the sun and I don't expect to be inside watching every single match, will want to soak up some of the other experiences. Also, need a chance to bum around Van-city which is something I enjoy too.

As for the booze, I'm not too worried. We space it out and don't really overdo it anyways.
Cool, yeah it is a good idea to not watch every single game, you need a few breaks.

It is interesting they are playing at BC place though, any idea if they are bringing grass or something? I can't imagine playing rugby on artificial turf would be much fun.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:25 PM   #91
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

In Fifteens news, Japan and Queensland Reds Fullback Ayumu Goromaru has surpassed Dan Carter to become the highest paid rugby player in the world. This is a big deal for Japanese rugby which is becoming hugely popular after their world cup success.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/re...15-gmug79.html

Also, go the Queensland Reds! They look to have a decent team this year.

Last edited by FireGilbert; 02-15-2016 at 06:30 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:51 AM   #92
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
In Fifteens news, Japan and Queensland Reds Fullback Ayumu Goromaru has surpassed Dan Carter to become the highest paid rugby player in the world. This is a big deal for Japanese rugby which is becoming hugely popular after their world cup success.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/re...15-gmug79.html

Also, go the Queensland Reds! They look to have a decent team this year.
Yeah crazy, considering.

Quote:
Old 02-16-2016, 10:02 AM   #93
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I doubt that BC Place changes the field. It'll likely remain on turf.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:05 AM   #94
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I doubt that BC Place changes the field. It'll likely remain on turf.
The turf had to be approved by World Rugby for the event to be held.

It will be played on turf.

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2015/05/b...dium-new-turf/

Quote:
Old 02-22-2016, 03:03 PM   #95
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

David Pocock is being featured on this week's Australian Story on the Aussie ABC. It covers his life including fleeing Zimbabwe, dealing with anxiety and an eating disorder, and his current activism which resulted in an arrest for chaining himself to a tree. He is such an amazing rugby player and an even better person.

If you have geo blocking skills you can watch this online on the ABC iView. If not here is the transcript for part 1:

http://www.abc.net.au/austory/content/2015/s4384756.htm
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FireGilbert For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2016, 03:19 PM   #96
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
David Pocock is being featured on this week's Australian Story on the Aussie ABC. It covers his life including fleeing Zimbabwe, dealing with anxiety and an eating disorder, and his current activism which resulted in an arrest for chaining himself to a tree. He is such an amazing rugby player and an even better person.

If you have geo blocking skills you can watch this online on the ABC iView. If not here is the transcript for part 1:

http://www.abc.net.au/austory/content/2015/s4384756.htm
Best back row player at the World Cup.

He has jump to the top of my man crush list.

Quote:
Old 02-23-2016, 10:10 AM   #97
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

From this past weekend.

Lots of Alberta boys in the team.

Also,

It really is a shame the general populace doesn't know more about Canada's Women's program (7's and 15's).

They are world class, and strong.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2016, 01:02 AM   #98
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This new ARC setup is good for Canada's players confidence. They get to play against teams that they can actually beat. Other than the USA and Argentina. But still nice to be able to win a game for a change. Plus they are putting new guys into the lineup instead of the same old faces. Not to mention getting in more game action.

It was all getting a bit disheartening seeing them lose so many times. This is a good boost.
St. Pats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:10 AM   #99
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

We are heading to Australia this September and will in Brisbane for the Sept 10th match of the Wallabies vs. S. Africa (and/or possibly Perth Sept 17 vs. Argentina). I've never seen a live rugby game and am super pumped to try and get tickets for this.

Any idea on how to best get tickets?? I've signed up for the presales online, but any other options?
FLAMESRULE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:16 PM   #100
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESRULE View Post
We are heading to Australia this September and will in Brisbane for the Sept 10th match of the Wallabies vs. S. Africa (and/or possibly Perth Sept 17 vs. Argentina). I've never seen a live rugby game and am super pumped to try and get tickets for this.

Any idea on how to best get tickets?? I've signed up for the presales online, but any other options?
I just keep an eye on this site:

http://www.rugby.com.au/wallabies/Ti...chTickets.aspx

Not on sale yet obviously and I'm not sure how easy it is for non-Australian residents to get tickets.

My personal experience in Brisbane is that you will have no problem getting tickets. Last year for example the Springboks game only had 37,000 at a 50,000 seat stadium. No idea about Perth though.
The Following User Says Thank You to FireGilbert For This Useful Post: