Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2021, 10:54 AM   #4061
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Fans - "Jays, do something, we need pitching!"

Jays - *get another ace"

Fans - "No not that!!"

Lol, there's no winning.
I blame Brad Treliving
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sketchyt For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2021, 10:55 AM   #4062
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Wanting them to do something is a lot different than wanting them to overpay to get something done.

I'm happy we have Berrios, but I think they paid too much. It doesn't have to be one or the other you know.

I just hope they can get Berrios extended and I hope he gets to pitch next year because there isn't a stoppage.

Is that not a reasonable stance?

Also, just because they have an abundance at a certain position doesn't mean they have to give it away either.
Except it's not giving it away.

Mediocre teams never go for it. Not every team that has the best record going into the post season wins it all every year.

Mediocre teams and franchises sit on their hands waiting for the "right time", scared to take a chance, and then never get the chance because the time is never right.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 10:56 AM   #4063
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post

Shapiro and Atkins have done a great job of buliding a roster and prospect pool that is deep enough that you have the assets to make a move like this.

Saying they should be fired immediately (or even using the negative Shatkins nickname to start with) is ridiculous.

Huge price to pay but it's for a 27 year old pitcher with one year of control that they may be able to extend.

Anthopoulis gave up more than this for a 38 year old knuckleball pitcher in RA Dickey.
It’s about sustainability which this management group has preached. To overpay with that level for one guy is crazy. Giving one of those guys up was fair. To give both guys up for Barrios is severe overpayment in my view. Don’t pursue if that’s the price. How are they going to replace those guys prospect wise?
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 10:57 AM   #4064
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

They got Kay and SWR for Stroman who had a year control left.

Martin >>>>> Kay

Is Berrios >>>>> Stroman

No.

This is a huge over pay.

Again though, happy to add Berrios. Just frustrated at losing Martin.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 10:57 AM   #4065
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

It is steep for sure, hope they can extend him beyond next season, if so it will be easier to digest. At least they aren’t sitting on their hands. This is fun.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2021, 10:58 AM   #4066
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
It is steep for sure, hope they can extend him beyond next season, if so it will be easier to digest. At least they aren’t sitting on their hands. This is fun.
Fun and gut wrenching at the same time lol
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2021, 10:59 AM   #4067
cross16
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It's a high price but it's also what you pay for top of the rotation starters so I'm not sure I understand the freaking out. I'm a bit surprised it's for a pitcher for only 1.5 year of control but at the same time his age and profile fit their contention window so no reason why they can't re sign him. They were always going to have to make a trade like this.

I do like Martin, but I don't think he is the piece worth freaking out over they Jays are still stacked in INF prospects and I like someone like Orelvis actually has similar upside to Martin. SWR hurts and it's the surprise for me as I didn't think the Jays would trade such a high ceiling arm.

i don't mind the aggressive approach either as I do think this is a good team and it will be a good team next year but a huge piece holding them back was SP and they just got a great one. I think they can do something with it.
cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cross16 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2021, 11:02 AM   #4068
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

What's Berrios' WAR and what's these two guy's projected WAR.

Let's be analytical about this because, to be honest, no one here has a clue what these prospects "value" is league wide.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 11:03 AM   #4069
alan21
Don't click that link!

Exp:

Just reading Twitter and a large portion of the organization was concerned about Austin Martin's power at the plate. With half of their top prospects being infielders, they were comfortable including him in this deal.
alan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 11:04 AM   #4070
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wish the Flames would make a deal like this!
This gives the Jays 3 top arms in Ryu, Berrios and Ray...maybe one more deal today?
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 11:05 AM   #4071
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Prospects are a funny thing. The Jays absolutely stole Martin at the draft, and he’s such a beast of a prospect and it was exciting to watch him develop.

But if you told me before the draft that the Jays would snag a draft pick at #5 and flip him (and their #8 prospect) for Jose Berrios I would have been ecstatic.

It’s funny how that all changes once there is a face and a name and a personality.
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2021, 11:06 AM   #4072
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Too bad Rogers wasn't included.

I imagine they had to outbid other AL teams that were likely driving the price up.

I really hope they have an extension in the hopper.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2021, 11:08 AM   #4073
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Atkins and Shapiro are both shrewd managers who don't like to sell on prospects and are good at analyzing talent.

They aren't going to give up on these guys unless they think the return is worth it.

I have faith in trusting Atkins and Shapiro here because IMO they've proven that they understand these players and prospects a lot better than we do.

Hell fans didn't like that we "only" got SWR and Kay for Stroman to start with because they weren't top prospects....now we are mad we traded SWR who developed into a top prospect.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 07-30-2021 at 11:13 AM.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 11:09 AM   #4074
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

You always have super high expectations for a blue chip prospect. As an asset, their value is often higher as a prospect because they can bust/fizzle when they go pro and all of that value disappears. Guys that seemed like they'd be legit big leaguers like Gose, Alford, Norris, Aaron Sanchez, etc - have all proven that a good prospect doesn't necessarily mean a guaranteed all star.

Clearly, Shapiro and Atkins believe that there is a possibility that the value for Martin and SWR might never be higher than it is today and decided to go for it. I would have preferred seeing Martin being the final piece in the building process. Once he was in the bigs, I was hoping it was then that the team should be pushing all in but that wasn't the calculus of the management.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben voyonsdonc For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2021, 11:15 AM   #4075
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Groshans will be the final piece, plus whichever INF they sign to a big deal next year (Siemen or one of the other FA SS)

It was either Groshans or Martin getting dealt. They have basically the same value/very close
Jason14h is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 11:16 AM   #4076
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben voyonsdonc View Post
You always have super high expectations for a blue chip prospect. As an asset, their value is often higher as a prospect because they can bust/fizzle when they go pro and all of that value disappears. Guys that seemed like they'd be legit big leaguers like Gose, Alford, Norris, Aaron Sanchez, etc - have all proven that a good prospect doesn't necessarily mean a guaranteed all star.

Clearly, Shapiro and Atkins believe that there is a possibility that the value for Martin and SWR might never be higher than it is today and decided to go for it. I would have preferred seeing Martin being the final piece in the building process. Once he was in the bigs, I was hoping it was then that the team should be pushing all in but that wasn't the calculus of the management.
This is exactly it.

Their value is almost never higher than when they are in AA turning heads. Plus with every team being increasingly hyper-conscious about years of control it's all teams want as a return. Trading roster for roster doesn't really happen anymore unless it's a salary dump.

Seeing Marting go the other way sucks, but his numbers in AA weren't exactly eye popping. He definitely is able to control the strike zone and draw his walks, but Moreno, Groshans, and now Orelvis Martinez were all outperforming him and are all younger. Still sucks, you get attached to these names.

SWR has really really struggled lately. Who knows what he will be. Again lots of promise. Unknown quantity. Berrios, however, is a known quantity that can help this current Jays team, that needs help, right now.

I am excited!
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2021, 11:16 AM   #4077
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
I wish the Flames would make a deal like this!
This gives the Jays 3 top arms in Ryu, Berrios and Ray...maybe one more deal today?
Next year, at minimum, they’ll have Ryu, Berrios and Manoah. Next year is going to be awesome.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 11:17 AM   #4078
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Fans - "Jays, do something, we need pitching!"

Jays - *get another ace"

Fans - "No not that!!"

Lol, there's no winning.
You can want/like the acquisition, and still not like the price.

It's called discussing the details - kind of the point of forums like these, no?

IMO (as I have stated), it's a great acquisition that they need. The price is crazy-high. But I still like it because pitching is the most precious commodity.

The only thing we have from you so far is snarkiness.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2021, 11:19 AM   #4079
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've read a few articles that Berrios could command $20-30 mil AAV once he's a free agent.

I hope he earns that.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 11:20 AM   #4080
TBone290
First Line Centre

Exp:

For a price like that, I would have expected a player like Jose Ramirez
TBone290 is offline   Reply With Quote